Third phase of easing considered if no new Covid-19 cases in 15 days

webfact

6 hours ago, JCP108 said:

I think the eating out of common bowls with everyone dipping their own spoon into a shared dish probably negates any benefit you get from no handshaking when greeting. 

Whenever I eat Thai style, whether it be at home or in a restaurant, each communal dish has its own serving spoon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Note; Theres still at least a couple of thousand Thai overseas workers, students and business people waiting to be repatriated and they are a concern as well. The rate at which the special flights are being allowed in is excruciatingly slow and they're not allowing the flights to be full. Then a 14 day government quarantine on arrival. Just keeps dragging on and on ...Ground hog day.. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Shame places like the UK and US seem unable to learn from Asia

What would they learn from Thailand. 

Close your airport to foreign nationals some 10 days later than say AU and other countries.

Have a flight arrive with Thai nationals and at BKK airport when they kicked up a stink were let go home then follow up rounding them up in subsequent days.

The governor of Phuket opening up border knowing that 40k had registered to leave. Surprising (not) the bridge was closed on first day so a plan could be put in place.

Open up the booze control sales rules without sensible plan and them have start sales, result, chaos. Including the previous back flips about extending booze or not.

Allowing ridiculous overcrowding at imm offices when an amnesty on extensions was a no brainer. Anutin ridiculous statements at various times. That's just some examples.

Other countries also did stupid things.

In NSW, Australia some 1500+ travellers were able to disembark from cruise ship without proper medical clearance. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thailand closed inbound flights April 4.

Australia think it was March 20.

NZ prior to that. 

Almost every measure Thailand has put into place has come after (copied) what some western countries did. 

They came up with a curfew. Actually mild compared to Oz where you had only 6 specific reasons to be outside your home.

Maximum gathering even in own home was 2 (excluding own house mates or family).

The one thing Thailand came up with was booze ban. Stupid in the extreme.

They dodged a bullet somehow. Please don't put it down to unique/clever management.

Other than bangkok, perhaps the lack of a mass transit system in the country?

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Yet millions have to wait ANOTHER 2 weeks to see if they can start to earn money again, to put food on the table for their families !

And the BTS and markets are packed with no social distancing, Bizarre !

where are you THAILAND !!!!

If the government would have done nothing more than halt inbound flights results would be samesame. These people are immune to everything ! But this administration seems to want to have bragging rights (for what trashing the economy?) And patting each other on the back and congratulating each other taking credit for doing what ? My dear departed dad called them all Civil Service Rockets..." They don't work and you can't fire em " !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Thailand functionally got a total pass.

maybe due to the savage double dose of covid that ripped through Pattaya et all before/round last xmas gave the majority immunity ?

17 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Yet millions have to wait ANOTHER 2 weeks to see if they can start to earn money again, to put food on the table for their families !

Took a trip into my local market yesterday, packed with Thais elbow to elbow, same as before.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Could this all be part of the bigger plan, e.g. allow people to mix here and there on the BTS and markets as you say, while keeping the others at bay and then releasing them into the other parts of the phased in plan of the bigger plan, like shopping centres, malls, hardware stores, restaurants, etc etc, i.e. to slowly allow the herd to become immune while out and about, therefore keeping the hospitals at a safe level where they can treat those who do show the worst part of the infection because of being older or with having underlying conditions, or having weak immune systems. 

I know a lot of people cannot make money again and are truly suffering, but if they go in too fast, it will be a repeat scenario like other countries, therefore I have to say, as frustrating as it is and we all want to get on with our lives, now ready to take our chances with Covid-19, which will eventually be spread as the flu is, assuming that is the plan until they can come up with a vaccine, if ever. I have to agree with their approach on this, for the better of all, that said, a life is precious and cannot be replaced, I say that knowing we will survive the lockdown, as for Covid-19, who knows.

16 hours ago, JCP108 said:

When I look at worldwide numbers and compare them to Thailand, seems like they don't compare at all. Thailand functionally got a total pass.

This article says there are around 14k influenza deaths in Thailand in an average year. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4605410/

So, that would be about 270/week. We are now 18+ weeks into the year. So, 18 x 270 = 4,860 deaths. 

So, 56 / 4,860 = Thailand having Covid 19 deaths 1.1% as much as flu deaths!

Seems much different outside of Thailand...

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-deaths-vs-flu-deaths.html

122 cases recorded in the country Cambodia 

Myanmar now has a total of 193 case

Cases in Vietnam have increased to 324.

Laos  now has 19 cases.

Thailand recorded only one new case on May 20, taking the total to 3,034.

So it would appear that central south east Asia seem to be in a geographical position that is more tolerant of the virus and I have read that the very high ultra violet rays along with high temperatures have helped to keep the virus potency down . 

• Like 2

Don't expect dirty farangs from these countries to be able to enter the Kingdom anytime soon...

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-05-21-20-intl/index.html

WHO reports largest one-day jump in global coronavirus cases

Tedros Adhanom-Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization, on Wednesday said that more cases had been reported to the agency in the past 24 hours than any time since the novel coronavirus pandemic began. 

“We still have a long way to go in this pandemic,” Tedros said at a briefing in Geneva. “In the last 24 hours, there have been 106,000 cases reported to WHO -- the most in a single day since the outbreak began. Almost two-thirds of these cases were reported in just four countries.”

Those four countries are the United States, Russia, Brazil and India, WHO infectious disease epidemiologist Maria Van Kerkhove confirmed to CNN.

Edited by Saddic

This level of drastic measures in Thailand isn't necessary.

There are only 50 deaths in Thailand. More people die from road accidents than Covid-19 in Thailand.

Compare with

UK 35,000

Italy 32000

Russia 3000

Just open up the economy asap especially inter-state travel first.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Fear is a terrible thing to waste. Just saw a meme pointing out the "death rate" at 3%. It then went on to say that if there was a bowl of 100 skittles, and 3 were deadly, would you eat any?

The problem is that they are using the percentage of people who's death was "attributed" to COVID and used confirmed cases as the base. The reality is that there is over 330,000,000 people in the USA. If we divide the number of deaths "attributed" to COVID by the population, we are looking at less than .03 percent. Inother words, the bowl should have 10,000 skittles!

There are many thing we all face, daily, that put us at a higher death risk. 

-------------

Worldwide, it seems this thing has come, peaked and is waning. It will return next year, just like most seasonal diseases. Hopefully, healthcare systems will be prepared, vaccines will be available and it will not become a big scary monster. 

The big scare was that healthcare providers are prepared the annual flu epidemic. 

But then, , COVID rolls into town. They have no vaccine and no established treatment. So, the healthcare industry panics. 

They have weathered the storm - treatments have been established and vaccines are on the way.

The season is over. Time to get back with our lives. 

Winter is coming in Australia and South America.  Let's see what happens.

Vaccine - maybe or maybe not anytime soon. Same for treatment.

14 minutes ago, Saddic said:

Don't expect dirty farangs from these countries to be able to enter the Kingdom anytime soon...

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-05-21-20-intl/index.html

WHO reports largest one-day jump in global coronavirus cases

Tedros Adhanom-Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization, on Wednesday said that more cases had been reported to the agency in the past 24 hours than any time since the novel coronavirus pandemic began. 

“We still have a long way to go in this pandemic,” Tedros said at a briefing in Geneva. “In the last 24 hours, there have been 106,000 cases reported to WHO -- the most in a single day since the outbreak began. Almost two-thirds of these cases were reported in just four countries.”

Those four countries are the United States, Russia, Brazil and India, WHO infectious disease epidemiologist Maria Van Kerkhove confirmed to CNN.

USA found a way to not allow Thailand to ban pesticides made in the USA.. they will find a way here too.. I once saw a US soldier in camouflage uniform and with a sidearm in a hotel lobby in Pattaya.  Normally countries do not allow armed soldiers of another nation to walk around as they wish. I had to look twice.. but he did have a gun..

Must be some influence we don't know about 

Would be interesting if someone did a study on why death rates vary so much between countries. Thailand and the UK have the same population. Thailand deaths 57, UK 44,000 !! Plus Thailand is next to China with millions of Chinese tourists. Something fishy about all these stats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Anutin believes that once businesses resume operation, people will adapt to the new normal such as maintaining social distancing, wearing face masks and washing hands frequently.

What fun! - I dont think I will adapt but I will abide as long as we have to (so there is no anti farang comments from her Health Minister)

15 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Some hot countries confound that too hot theory (see India, Pakistan, Iran, and Brazil, for example). I think it's the somtam and Thai discipline. 

Thai discipline??? Like the disciplined motorcycle riders on sidewalks on Sukhumvit?

Brazil is entering its winter now.. this seems to be another seasonal infection. Iran is not hot in the winter.. India has relatively few cases based on the number of people 

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Would be interesting if someone did a study on why death rates vary so much between countries. Thailand and the UK have the same population. Thailand deaths 57, UK 44,000 !! Plus Thailand is next to China with millions of Chinese tourists. Something fishy about all these stats.

Not many old people grouped together here in care homes and western diets and lifestyle may play a part . One stat in uk was 90% of deaths had serious health issues before death . Eg heart problem, diabetes , stroke etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

Winter is coming in Australia and South America.  Let's see what happens.

Vaccine - maybe or maybe not anytime soon. Same for treatment.

Hopefully, those south of the equator have prepared for the virus' arrival. It can't be said that it caught them by surprise. 

Are we recycling the news now ? I distinctly remember reading most of this yesterday ???? and it sounds every bit as pointless on it,s re-run. This thing is just going to slowly recede into the sunset like the Bird Flu, which several years was touted to take out a third of the world,s population, and we,re still waiting !