US envoy learns reason for extension of emergency

snoop1130

US envoy learns reason for extension of emergency

By The Nation

800_771c176376c0341.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam met US Ambassador George DeSombre on Wednesday (May 27) to explain why the government was extending the state of emergency.

The ambassador, who was on a courtesy call, commended the authorities for managing the situation well and has also written an article saying Thailand is a good destination for investors.

Meanwhile, Wissanu told the envoy that there are several reasons for extending the state emergency by a month. He said the emergency decree allows the government to ensure the same standard and guidelines are maintained across the country, it is able to ensure every province follows the same protection regulations and nobody gets away with violating protection measures.

The deputy PM added that the US has helped Thailand with medical supplies, which is why many measures are being relaxed from June 1, but he said people should be careful since the rainy season is arriving and the chance of virus transmission will be higher. He said the option of allowing airlines to fly again will be considered in July.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388600

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-27

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

We've been wanting to get rid of the poor for years and now 

Maybe you could include  the working girls in the foreigners venues side too. 

Edited by morrobay

Speaking as an American I feel blessed now to be here and not there. (100,000)

Yes more organized centralized governments have the edge in fighting pandemics. 

Yes there is the Asian cultural factor as well. People united for a collective national cause, much less individualism and polarization. 

The government is mostly trusted that unpleasant measures are for the greater public good. 

Much less crazy conspiracy theories about 5g and Bill Gates vaccine chips. 

Extending the state of emergency makes perfect sense to me. 

The people and government of Thailand deserve much more international attention and credit for being at the higher tier of fighting the virus. 

Nobody is saying anything is perfect but credit where credit is due. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 5

51 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes there is the Asian cultural factor as well. People united for a collective national cause, much less individualism and polarization. 

The government is mostly trusted that unpleasant measures are for the greater public good. 

The people and government of Thailand deserve much more international attention and credit for being at the higher tier of fighting the virus. 

Also Speaking As An American, I Think I’m Way Better Off Here Then There. So Thankful. I Wanted Peace & Tranquility. I’ve Spent The Last Three Months Forced To Relax. I’m So Much Better For It. 
????

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

1 hour ago, whitewolfchefny said:

Also Speaking As An American, I Think I’m Way Better Off Here Then There. So Thankful. I Wanted Peace & Tranquility. I’ve Spent The Last Three Months Forced To Relax. I’m So Much Better For It. 
????

Both of you say you are Americans...... Both of you say you are better off here than there..... WE THE readers don't have a clue as to where 'Here' and 'There' is to understand your meaning..... Surely You know where you are BUT I certainly don't. You each could have added just a couple words to clearify and make your comment more meaningful as to supporting Thailand or the US...

I am American and have many friends in Thailand (from everywhere)..... I got stuck in the USA and quite pleased I did get stuck here, in the USA, rather than in Thailand..... I feel 'almost' as safe in the USA under 'A__hole Trump as I would in Thailand under A__hole Phrayut rules......

Please don't take my post as criticism to either of you personally... Because I AM NOT criticising...... I am questioning because I am unsure of the meanings of your posts........ I love Thailand very much (as an American spending much of the past 40 years in Thailand).... I LOVE the 'Thai People...... Not their <deleted> government........... BUT I feel safer in the USA........

Edited to add..... I LOVE THE USA..... But not it's <deleted> government...... BUT I love my country because I had opportunities to make money that goes 'farther' in Thailand..... HAD I BEEN BORN IN THAILAND RATHER THAN THE USA..... Would I feel the same security???????? Doubtful or 'Positively NO'.....

Edited by kensawadee
add a line
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was perfectly obvious from the context that I'm an American living in Thailand. 

The main point of my post was that Thailand has done remarkably well responding to the pandemic and the US has done shockingly poorly. 

Thailand is starting to be mentioned in the international press as a success story in that regard. Not often enough but it's a start. They deserve it. I hope they can continue with their success as this international crisis is nowhere near over. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Jingthing, I've been reading your posts for years. Most are well thought out, but not always on target, at least by my estimation. However, this post is COMPLETELY on target. Keep up the good work.

3 hours ago, kensawadee said:

Both of you say you are Americans...... Both of you say you are better off here than there..... WE THE readers don't have a clue as to where 'Here' and 'There' is to understand your meaning.....

Yes  "We the readers" do have a clue ....Always check near the top of the page.  If you see a post in the Cambodia forum,  then it's safe to assume that "Here" is related to the particular forum location where the post was made . In this case it's "Thailand News"  .

Forum Home News Thailand News ……….

By snoop1130, 21 hours ago in Thailand News             

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Enoon said:

"Wissanu told the envoy that there are several reasons for extending the state emergency by a month"

But not the big one:

It is the natural state for Thai governance as far as the regime is concerned.

They seek every opportunity to apply and maintain it.

So before Covid 19, when was last state of emergency in Thailand? And what were the dates?

Don't let reality confuse you!

Wissanu Krea-ngam said the emergency decree allows the government to ensure the same standard and guidelines are maintained across the country, it is able to ensure every province follows the same protection regulations and nobody gets away with violating protection measures. 

In other words, unfinished business; how can - in a country where rules are everything, the government is run by the (socalled elected) little men in green be anything unfinished? Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which province went renegade and how is getting away with violations? 

He also said people should be careful since the rainy season is arriving and the chance of virus transmission will be higher.

Was not aware that he is not only a lawyer but also a virologist. Keep an eye on the Southern hemisphere of this planet - winter is approaching there and once it hits the 9 centigrades temperature levels the pandemic will flare up; hence Wissanu might elaborate a little further on why he is pretending to know things. 

Wondering also, what the scrambled encoded report of the US ambassador back to Washington is really saying; lets hope for Wikileak.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomauasia said:

Only a fool would invest in a country that is unwilling to welcome people.

I have to believe the Ambassador knows that. There are serious bribery for business laws in America that can and will be used against bribers. Truly, can any business be conducted by a foreigner in Thailand that does not revolve around bribes? The reasons behind the Ambassadors comments are unknown. Could be the justice department in the USA needs some fools to convict for bribery.

• Like 1

Well, the lockdown hardly exists anymore in rural Isaan. No cases for 3 weeks mean people think it is over. People visit who they want, mask wearing has reverted to normal and most markets and smaller businesses have no checks in place. Only the bars are shut, and if you go into town to a large store lots of hassle with masks, temperature checks, alcohol sprays, signing in and out and QR codes. 

Will there be a second wave? If there is, the government may find it is not as easy to get the locals to comply again.