Retirement extension CW + Re-entry 28 May

I just want to report on my annual pilgrimage to CW yesterday for the extension of stay based on retirement and re-entry permit.

The L1/L2 queue was as busy as usual, and a bit slower than last time.  I arrived at 8:50 and got called at 11:15.  They returned my passport with the extension stamp at 11:45.

Good thing that the re-entry permit area was empty.  Without even having made the photocopy of the new extension stamp, they did my re-entry permit (they did the photocopy for me) and I was out just before noon.

Lucky me.

No questions about insurance or TM30.  (I have never held an A-O nor O visa.) They had me sign three extra forms and my photo was taken while holding up one of the three.

And the SCB branch office at CW is totally closed down, maybe for a full renovation.  There is an ATM machine with passbook update in the basement, not far from where the branch of used to be.     

Let's hope it's this easy next year!

Edited by heretostay
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your post. 

My trek to CW is due at the end of June to extend my stay on an OA Retirement visa. What sort of extension was yours? 

I am getting ready to buy health insurance as close to the application date as possible. I understood it was required and used to set an end date for permission to extend. Good news if the requirement for it has fallen away, has it or was your experience luck, do you think?

The closure of SCB is a blow. They had me obtain a bank confirmation letter on the day of my application to supplement the one showing the same balance, apart from the second fee deducted for the letter, obtained a day before.  I suppose it would be feasible to do between getting a ticket & being called in.

KR 

7 hours ago, 503726 said:

Good news if the requirement for it has fallen away, has it or was your experience luck, do you think?

He was not extending a entry from a OA visa. That is reason they did not mention insurance. As far as I know Chaeng Wattana is still want it if you had a OA vsia,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 503726 said:

Thanks for your post. 

My trek to CW is due at the end of June to extend my stay on an OA Retirement visa. What sort of extension was yours? 

I am getting ready to buy health insurance as close to the application date as possible. I understood it was required and used to set an end date for permission to extend. Good news if the requirement for it has fallen away, has it or was your experience luck, do you think?

The closure of SCB is a blow. They had me obtain a bank confirmation letter on the day of my application to supplement the one showing the same balance, apart from the second fee deducted for the letter, obtained a day before.  I suppose it would be feasible to do between getting a ticket & being called in.

KR 

"What sort of extension was yours?" 

I do the extension based on retirement.  My original visa was TR converted to Non-O for working.  I switched to retirement extensions a few years ago.  Since only O-A visa holders need health insurance, and I never had an O-A, I seem to be saved from that issue, at least for now.

They accepted my bank letter dated the day before, so you can have that done at any branch that's convenient.  For the on-the-day transaction on the account, you can do it at any ATM and then update your passbook.  (There is such a machine for SCB in the basement of CW, near the 7-11)  In previous years, when the SCB branch was open in CW, I did the bank letter and the transaction in that office before getting my queue number.  The bank even gave me photocopies of the letter and the updated passbook, without being asked!

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the informative report. Did they ask for any proof of residence/address? I've never been asked before, but I've read recent reports from people who said they had to submit copies of their lease and the landlord's ID/house registration. (Of course, some people just bring those things and hand them over without being asked, so it's not always clear whether they were really required or not.) I'll need to do my extension within the next few weeks, so I'm curious.

Thanks both, I'll get the insurance & as close to my application date as possible. 

I remember the IO had a really good look at my bank book, checking it against other information I'd submitted so I'm bringing one or two supporting docs. 

25 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Thanks for the informative report. Did they ask for any proof of residence/address? I've never been asked before, but I've read recent reports from people who said they had to submit copies of their lease and the landlord's ID/house registration. (Of course, some people just bring those things and hand them over without being asked, so it's not always clear whether they were really required or not.) I'll need to do my extension within the next few weeks, so I'm curious.

Lease + Landlord's ID is standard - definitely bring it.  If a condo, maybe the house-book and/or chanote for it, as some other offices require.  But in those offices, it is often only required if you support a Thai family - not for 'retirement' based.

"Did CW Immigration require just the bank letter or also a 3-month or 12-month bank statement? "

Just the bank letter from the day before, stating the balance on that day, plus the updated passbook with a transaction on the day of extension application (and photocopy).  No detailed bank statement was required.

I use the 800K method.  The account I have only serves for that purpose, so there are no transactions other than interest paid, tax withheld (as of this year), and the small withdrawal done on the day of the extension application each year.  There are so few entries in the passbook that it actually serves as a bank statement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 503726 said:

Thanks both, I'll get the insurance & as close to my application date as possible. 

I remember the IO had a really good look at my bank book, checking it against other information I'd submitted so I'm bringing one or two supporting docs.

A thai IO-approved health-insurance policy is only required when applying for a 1-year extension based on your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

As your extension will be capped to the policy expiry date, it makes sense to let it commence on the day your new 1-year extension would start.

LMG Insurance's Plan 1 (with a 200K deductible) does not require a medical exam and is the cheapest available thai IO-approved policy, for an annual premium of 6000 THB to 11.400 THB in the age bracket 51 to 75 years. 

The content of that policy - like most of those thai IO-approved policies - is basically worthless, but you could consider it as just an entry-ticket to meet the health-insurance requirement that comes with an O-A extension for reason of retirement.

Edited by Peter Denis

i went to CW the day before the OP and had nearly identical experience.  arrived just before 9am (got a queue # in the 50's).  got called about 11:30.  they told me to wait outside cubicle 31 to get my passport back.  i wasn't quite clear if the return was really going to happen before the lunch break or not.  i was planning to eat lunch there anyway.  so i just went downstairs and ate lunch.  i went back to the cubicle a little after 1pm and they asked where i went before.  so i guess i would have got the passport back before the break. 

i didn't need proof of residence and didn't need to draw a map of where i live.  nor were any questions asked about 90 day reports or TM30's.  i use the 800k in the bank method and got the bank letter at the bangkok bank branch at CW.

most of the seating is blocked off around the L desk due to the virus thing.  there are alot of chairs available out in the large atrium area.  also, most of the coffee shops downstairs are open and have tables available to sit down.

this is fairly typical for me, arrive around 9am and 50/50 on whether i'm done by the lunchbreak or just after.  i always avoid weeks with holidays.  lately i've been getting my reentry permits at the airport.

• Thanks 2

When I was renting, I never a signed a lease without a copy the owner's signed ID. Otherwise, there is no way to know who I am leasing from. Of course, now that I am renting my GF's condo, I just quickly wrote a one page lease and got it signed with a singed copy of GF's ID. No, I did not verify if she owned the condo or not. She said it has a bank loan and she does not possess the Chanote. So, I got a copy of the signed contract for the purchase agreement.