Famous people from Your Neighbourhood/School

I guess the OP was asking about friends from neighbor hood or friends and not who you

met in your life time. I met the Beatles,Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Elton John, Cliff Richard

Rod Steward and many others. Well the only person I have not met is Steven100 :cheesy::crazy:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bodga said:

I  Liked  Maggie

I worked in the steel industry for 11 years prior to 1980. Spent 7 years of devoted studying  at night school for my degree equivalent qualification.  I was looking forward to progression up the management ladder over the next 40 years and the rewards and stability that came with it.

Maggie destroyed that dream  a year later.

Thank you Maggie, saved me from the next 40 years in a filthy, dangerous and to be quite honest , boring environment.

• Like 2

Marc Wilson, NFL QB with the Oakland Raiders/LA Raiders and also Green Bay Packers and the New England Patriots.  He won two Super Bowls.  Lived in the same town.  I went to school with his younger brother Shea.  Shea was a very good athlete but didn't like being compared to his older brother so didn't really pursue sports that much.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I got drunk once with the lead singer of the Pogues, my kind of drinker! My friend was the barman at the hotel they were staying in. 

I'm surprised you remembered! My good friend in Dublin knows him quite well, I don't think he remembers any of the evenings they went out together!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I'm surprised you remembered! My good friend in Dublin knows him quite well, I don't think he remembers any of the evenings they went out together!

i could drink a few myself back then. I forgot most, after he handed me something to smoke. I do remember a guy called Spider bought most the drinks. A nice guy actually and his girlfriend was a top London model! I hear he has new teeth these days ????

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, as my school is 750 years old, there are probably a few other famous alumni.

Aha...Harrow.

I taught at Harrow International School in Bangkok and we named one of our houses after Byron. Others were Nehru and Churchill for similar reasons. 13 children of Rama V went there too and I have a great painting of them in my condo. I made a trip to the Hill in 2008 and had a memorable day there including booze for lunch! We had many exchange students in Bangkok from Harrow in London including a right nitwit called Cadbury who said daddy was in chocolate. 

David Bowie grew up near me and Marc Bolan of T Rex fame was expelled from my school. In my first job in journalism I sat next to Stephen Dillane who I saw in The Crown recently in a memorable scene with John Lithgow. 

Rooster

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jane Dough said:

Aha...Harrow.

I taught at Harrow International School in Bangkok and we named one of our houses after Byron.

Actually, it was Aberdeen grammar School, and I was in the Byron house.

Harrow is a relative new school, 450 years.

I believe Scotland has the best schools and unis. in the world, the Queen of England sent her sons there and the future king, Wiiliam, went to uni there;)

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, it was Aberdeen grammar School, and I was in the Byron house.

Harrow is a relative new school, 450 years.

I believe Scotland has the best schools and unis. in the world, the Queen of England sent her sons there and the future king, Wiiliam, went to uni there;)

Right you are!

I never imagined there was such a thing as education north of Watford. ????

Rooster

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Aha...Harrow.

I taught at Harrow International School in Bangkok and we named one of our houses after Byron. Others were Nehru and Churchill for similar reasons. 13 children of Rama V went there too and I have a great painting of them in my condo. I made a trip to the Hill in 2008 and had a memorable day there including booze for lunch! We had many exchange students in Bangkok from Harrow in London including a right nitwit called Cadbury who said daddy was in chocolate. 

David Bowie grew up near me and Marc Bolan of T Rex fame was expelled from my school. In my first job in journalism I sat next to Stephen Dillane who I saw in The Crown recently in a memorable scene with John Lithgow. 

Rooster

I have a friend who worked there, in admin. Her grandfather or great grandfather was the King of Laos! 

Did you ever meet Bowie? He was my idol.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I have a friend who worked there, in admin. Her grandfather or great grandfather was the King of Laos! 

My paths never crossed with David Bowie. 

One of the original owners of the Harrow International franchise is a woman who is the great great granddaughter of Rama IV. She was instrumental in helping me get Thai residence. 

We had many famous alumni there and at Patana. I actually taught Tata Young and many other celebs. Yingluck's son was in my Thai Studies class at Harrow. 

Once I asked the kids to give me their phone numbers in case of emergency. One said it was 07 7777 7777.

Son of DTAC owners!

Rooster

1 minute ago, Jane Dough said:

One of the original owners of the Harrow International franchise is a woman who is the great great granddaughter of Rama IV. She was instrumental in helping me get Thai residence. 

Maybe the same person. I thought of asking for her help in my Citizenship process, as her uncle was the head of police, but didn't. Was she married to a German?

3 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

We had many famous alumni there and at Patana. I actually taught Tata Young and many other celebs. Yingluck's son was in my Thai Studies class at Harrow. 

I taught at St Joseph's Convent when one of Taksin's daughters was there, but she wasn't in the English Program.

28 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

David Bowie was just as bad a pedophile (alegedly) in the 70's as Garry Glitter was to become, along with a large group of other abusers John Peel, Michael Jackson, Saville and a host of others still alive in famous bands who better not to mention for legal reasons. It was different back then is not an excuse. Time to stop idolising child abusers.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

David Bowie was just as bad a pedophile in the 70's as Garry Glitter was to become, along with a large group of other abusers John Peel, Michael Jackson, Saville and a host of others still alive in famous bands who better not to mention for legal reasons. It was different back then is not an excuse. Time to stop idolising child abusers.

Nonsense, I don't believe it for a second.

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Wow, one of my favourites! I first heard in the film Natural Born Killers. Not as good as Lou Reed but great.

Cool. Forgot to mention too, that not only did I take that class with her but we partnered up to do the final class project together. (Since it was a class in Business/Marketing, we did our project on retail product packaging.)

Hung out with her quite a bit at the Summer School sessions actually and got stoned with her a few times (a pretty typical pastime for teenagers in the 70s). ????

• Like 1

Tina Turner son Micheal was my Roomate in Boarding School, also a price al Talal from Saudi and Rodney Allen Rippy from old Jack in the Box Commercials , we had a few Thai Hiso  Students but English not great 

• Like 2