Question On Retirement Non-immigrant Visa From The Usa

I'll be acquiring a Retirement Visa from the USA this September, but I'm confused about the monies required. According to the Thai Consulate in Texas, I need to send to them a copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht. That's no problem, since I have over 3M Baht in a HSBC account. I also need to send to the Consulate a letter of guarantee from the bank. Is this correct? Once I move to Thailand, do I need to deposit 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank? Also, what are the steps needed to stay once my 1st year in Thailand is completed? Thanks!

I'll be acquiring a Retirement Visa from the USA this September, but I'm confused about the monies required. According to the Thai Consulate in Texas, I need to send to them a copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht. That's no problem, since I have over 3M Baht in a HSBC account. I also need to send to the Consulate a letter of guarantee from the bank. Is this correct? Once I move to Thailand, do I need to deposit 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank? Also, what are the steps needed to stay once my 1st year in Thailand is completed? Thanks!

I'm planning to do the same thing in September. As such I've been doing a lot of reading on this site about it. Here is a link to the specific details on how it works, from this site. http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html

Where are you going to retire to? I'm planning on Chumphon.

Brian

The letter of guarantee is probably only a statement letter from the bank confirming your account number, name and balance amount.

Once in Thailand, you will need to have your 800k in a bank account in a bank in Thailand (not need it to be a Thai bank) it can be HSBC as long as it is a branch in Thailand.

The info on the link given above is somewhat out of date and refers only to extension of stay inside Thailand

For the O-A non immigrant visa for long stay you supply the information and paperwork that the Embassy/Consulate in your country requires. This may vary somewhat from place to place but in general is a police report, medical report, bank proof of at least 800k in home bank account, photos, application and payment. In the past this was normally a one year multi entry if from the US but have seen someone post recently that it may now be six month validity for entry (you would still be stamped into Thailand for one year). Once your initial period of stay is complete (about 3-4 week before actually) you visit an immigration office with proof that you have held 800k or more in a Thai located bank account for the previous 3 months, or proof of 65k per month pension/income as certified by you Embassy in a letter, or a combination of the two. You take that proof, bank account book, letter from bank of account balance, photos, application form TM.7, 1,900 baht and apply for a one year extension.

Something to remember - once your O-A visa expires (valid until date of visa itself) you will require a re-entry permit prior to any travel out of Thailand or your extension of stay ends. During validity of visa any entry should receive a one year permitted to stay from date of entry. Entry on a re-entry permit should be until the current permitted to stay date in your passport.

I'm planning to do the same thing in September. As such I've been doing a lot of reading on this site about it. Here is a link to the specific details on how it works, from this site. http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html

Where are you going to retire to? I'm planning on Chumphon.

Brian

Hi Brian,

The Thai Consulate in Houston, Texas has all the forms and answers to most of the questions concerning the Retirement Visa. The cost, btw, is $125/multiple entry.

I plan on living in Hua Hin. That way I can travel to Krabi, Phuket and south pretty easy. I love the water.

Take care