US SS form 7162

2 hours ago, pmarlin said:

Just checked my EMS tracking number on the Form I downloaded. Still sitting at the bangkok BKK airport since 17Jun and hasn;t moved. US postal service shows pre-shippment. This is going to take awhile.

Same here 

4 hours ago, pmarlin said:

Just checked my EMS tracking number on the Form I downloaded. Still sitting at the bangkok BKK airport since 17Jun and hasn;t moved. US postal service shows pre-shippment. This is going to take awhile.

Oh, wait, my mistake, mine has arrived in the US, sorry, but not in transit yet. That's about right, here's my tracking record...

track7162.jpg

1 hour ago, Trillian said:

Any beneficiaries who did not respond to either the first or the second mailing will not have their benefits suspended. The 2020 cycle is suspended until further notice.  All beneficiaries will continue to receive uninterrupted pay. 

It would be great if the SSA would announce it on their website. Checked for it on various pages and still no info.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Trillian said:

I just received this from Ifbu London:

Any beneficiaries who did not respond to either the first or the second mailing will not have their benefits suspended. The 2020 cycle is suspended until further notice.  All beneficiaries will continue to receive uninterrupted pay. 

That's a strange response.  Especially in how they talk in the past tense of people who didn't respond to the mailings in the May/Jun and Sep/Oct timeframes....and the second mailing time period of Sep/Oct has even arrived yet but they talk like it has already happened.

Guys - Great thread! Thanks to all of you for time, effort, and info. I too have not received form 7162 "Report to United States Social Security" yet. Back in 2017 I had problems, so don't know if this info is still correct, but I contacted the OIO (Office of International Operations) at Tel# 410-965-6517. They told me I could FAX the electronically signed PDF form to 410-966-6782. I later called and confirmed it was indeed received. As this was 3 years ago, I can't vouch for the above numbers still being relevant. Please lets keep this thread alive until we know what's happening. I personally am just going to wait a bit and see if it arrives in the mail.

US Embassy Bangkok still is showing this info  https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/ and Manila info is 7 months old https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/feq/?_ga=2.61754732.1506818478.1593474727-989317826.1593474727 and as UJ said no update on SSA main site. IMO with what is going on world wide and in the US over the Covid-19 we have a melt down of our system.

• Thanks 1

The VFW District Five website has some info on the 2020 7162 mailing....but keep in mind the guidance is based on one email between the Manila SSA Office and a VFW member.  Pretty much no different that Manila responding to an email one of us send which can possibly leave doubt in a person mind as to if the 7162 process has been suspended for 2020 or not.   The VFW website does have a good/blank 7162 to download....it's the same one Manila emailed my wife last year when her 7162 never arrived after both the 1st and 2nd mailings....but my 7162 arrived the 1st mailing...and we both have the exact same address.    

https://vfwpacificdist5.org/di/vfw/v2/default.asp?pid=67376

2 hours ago, Pib said:

The VFW District Five website has some info on the 2020 7162 mailing....but keep in mind the guidance is based on one email between the Manila SSA Office and a VFW member.  Pretty much no different that Manila responding to an email one of us send which can possibly leave doubt in a person mind as to if the 7162 process has been suspended for 2020 or not.   The VFW website does have a good/blank 7162 to download....it's the same one Manila emailed my wife last year when her 7162 never arrived after both the 1st and 2nd mailings....but my 7162 arrived the 1st mailing...and we both have the exact same address.    

https://vfwpacificdist5.org/di/vfw/v2/default.asp?pid=67376

Do you have the correct mailing address for this form, I believe it is in PA if my memory is correct

49 minutes ago, flexomike said:

Do you have the correct mailing address for this form, I believe it is in PA if my memory is correct

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION

PO BOX 7162

WILKES-BARRE, PA 18767-7162

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

• Thanks 1
On 6/29/2020 at 4:34 PM, cusanus said:

Oh, wait, my mistake, mine has arrived in the US, sorry, but not in transit yet. That's about right, here's my tracking record...

track7162.jpg

I mailed mine 4 days after you so maybe tomorrow will be in America 1JUl20. But anyway 2 weeks from Thailand to USA seems like it went suffice not air

8 hours ago, pmarlin said:

I mailed mine 4 days after you so maybe tomorrow will be in America 1JUl20. But anyway 2 weeks from Thailand to USA seems like it went suffice not air

No, it's always been 14 days for ordinary air. It's not just travel in motion. It's about two months by boat ????. 

Edited by cusanus
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Pib said:

Late last week I sent an email to the Manila SSA FBU Office in which I said/asked that I've seen a few social medial posts that the SSA has suspended/is not mailing SSA Form 7162's for 2020 due to the pandemic but I can’t find anything official on any SSA website such as the Manila SSA FBU site.   

In response to that email below is the quote of the Manila SSA Office response I got today/2 July.  Note, it simply says the 7162's have not been mailed yet....does not say this year's mailings/completion has been suspended.

Above response is basically the SSA's standard response/policy regarding non-receipt of 7161/7162 which is they (SSA) wants a person to wait until after the first and second 7161/7162 mailings done in May/Jun and Sep/Oct of each year.  They don't want that process bypassed/shortcutted--they really want you to receive and complete the bar-coded mailing sent from Wilkes Barre. 

However, if you do not receive your 7161/7162 from one of those mailings then contact SSA on or after 1 Nov.  They will then email you a 7161/7162 form for completion and return via scan/email or snail mail to the Manila FBU....Manila may also recommend that you also snail mail a copy to Wilkes Barre....but the copy going to Manila will keep your benefit flowing. The 7162 that they will email you was identified earlier in the thread and I've attached it again. 

Quote of Manila SSA FBU webpage as of 2 July 2020 regarding 7161/7162 completion

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/feq/

And here's the SSA Form 7162 again that the Manila SSA FBU will send a person for completion if they didn't get a 7162 from the 1st or 2nd annual mailings.   Or at least it's the form version they sent my wife last year when her 7162 never found our Bangkok mailbox (but my 7162 did)...and it's the same form version the Manila SSA Office provided the VFW District 5 person in May 2020 when he asked the Manila FBU about the 2020 mailing.

SSA-7162Form.pdf 232.47 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for the update. Do you have a pdf for the 7161 form as I have a child and my computer will not allow me to access the SSA website. Thanks for your help and time!

On 6/16/2020 at 5:14 AM, cusanus said:

Ok, maybe this will help. I did call Baltimore just now being awake early, though I'm sure Manila would be just as helpful and prompt as they've always been. The word I was given is that the form 7162 mail out has been cancelled and no suspension of benefits will occur. However, she did say this may be re evaluated in July and, of course, that does leave us in some suspense. Since I got forms without a hitch for 14 years straight, I can probably be a bellwether and will announce if I get one down the road. For 880 baht, I'm still comfortable having sent it in just to be sure. I guess the bar code isn't necessary for that and the PO Box on the return envelope is fine with EMS.  Hopefully, we can relax now.

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
PO BOX 7162
WILKES BARRE PA 18767-7162

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

the problem is sending it. International mail is badly interrupted.

I tried to mail my stimulus check to my bank in the US, sent EMS. It vanished into thin air after leaving "outward office of exchange"  at Swampy.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, racyrick said:

Thanks for the update. Do you have a pdf for the 7161 form as I have a child and my computer will not allow me to access the SSA website. Thanks for your help and time!

No...I don't have a 7161...but I expect one can be found via google....will look later.

Edit:  here you go

https://pl.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/2016/01/cons_fbu_7161.pdf

cons_fbu_7161.pdf

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
On 6/29/2020 at 4:34 PM, cusanus said:

track7162.jpg

With EMS taking two weeks to get from Swampy to the US it would seem it's being sent by sealift vs airlift.   Or they are using carrier pigeon which can only fly so many hundred miles per day.  Then again, the part between Swampy and wherever the US inward office of exchange is (i.e., NYC, LA, ???, etc) may not be reflecting some layovers, like Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc., waiting to catch another ride.  

Gosh, in normal times in several test mailings of "regular airmail" from Bangkok to Houston TX they all arrived in 10-14 days.  

But several test mailings of "registered airmail" from Bangkok to Houston they took 3 to 4 weeks; they took longer and cost more than regular airmail because the registered airmail items go bogged down in going thru customer/inward office of exchange in NY City.  

Unless a person really needs to get something mailed back to the U.S. "now" I think I would just wait another month or so when regular airmail/SAL should be available to the US again.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Pib said:

With EMS taking two weeks to get from Swampy to the US it would seem it's being sent by sealift vs airlift.   Or they are using carrier pigeon which can only fly so many hundred miles per day.  Then again, the part between Swampy and wherever the US inward office of exchange is (i.e., NYC, LA, ???, etc) may not be reflecting some layovers, like Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc., waiting to catch another ride.  

Gosh, in normal times in several test mailings of "regular airmail" from Bangkok to Houston TX they all arrived in 10-14 days.  

But several test mailings of "registered airmail" from Bangkok to Houston they took 3 to 4 weeks; they took longer and cost more than regular airmail because the registered airmail items go bogged down in going thru customer/inward office of exchange in NY City.  

Unless a person really needs to get something mailed back to the U.S. "now" I think I would just wait another month or so when regular airmail/SAL should be available to the US again.

I've been her 15 years and sent or received dozens of items regular air. Every one took exactly 14 days give a day or two. Suit yourself. EMS is regular air, you know. 

Edited by cusanus
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, cusanus said:

I've been her 15 years and sent or received dozens of items regular air. Every one took exactly 14 days give a day or two. Suit yourself. EMS is regular air, you know. 

.....................so................it wasnt exactly 14 days then ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, cusanus said:

I'm not the one using EMS...I was responding to some one who was.  

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

If we choose to sumbit the 7162 for does anyone have the email and mailing address for the SSA in Manila?

Send to [email protected]

Make subject FEQ=Thailand-Smith

Replace Smith with your own last name. 

Attach your filled in 7162 in either PDF or image file. Forget about physical address. 

Mail hard copy to the Wilkes-Barre PO box. 

Edited by cusanus
  • Thanks 1