US SS form 7162

11 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Never involve Manila with anything except for signing up for SS IF you're not in the states. Manila is as useless as they get.. The can not and will not do anything . Do a download of the 7162 form sign it then EMS it to Wilkes Barre no where else. If you envole Manila all  you are doing is adding another layer of incompetency. SSA number Baltimore. +1  800 772 1213. I have seen nothing on the SSA website about this subject. Call Baltimore and use EMS.

Ok, maybe this will help. I did call Baltimore just now being awake early, though I'm sure Manila would be just as helpful and prompt as they've always been. The word I was given is that the form 7162 mail out has been cancelled and no suspension of benefits will occur. However, she did say this may be re evaluated in July and, of course, that does leave us in some suspense. Since I got forms without a hitch for 14 years straight, I can probably be a bellwether and will announce if I get one down the road. For 880 baht, I'm still comfortable having sent it in just to be sure. I guess the bar code isn't necessary for that and the PO Box on the return envelope is fine with EMS.  Hopefully, we can relax now.

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
PO BOX 7162
WILKES BARRE PA 18767-7162

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, cusanus said:

Ok, maybe this will help. I did call Baltimore just now being awake early, though I'm sure Manila would be just as helpful and prompt as they've always been. The word I was given is that the form 7162 mail out has been cancelled and no suspension of benefits will occur. However, she did say this may be re evaluated in July and, of course, that does leave us in some suspense. Since I got forms without a hitch for 14 years straight, I can probably be a bellwether and will announce if I get one down the road. For 880 baht, I'm still comfortable having sent it in just to be sure. I guess the bar code isn't necessary for that and the PO Box on the return envelope is fine with EMS.  Hopefully, we can relax now.

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
PO BOX 7162
WILKES BARRE PA 18767-7162

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

The SSA Form 7162 by their requirements has to be signed by you. If you send an unsigned 7162 they do not have to accept it. This a major reason I will not email the forum. SSA does not use FAX or pdf attachments. The only way is to download the form sign it then EMS it  to WIKLES BARRE

10 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

The SSA Form 7162 by their requirements has to be signed by you. If you send an unsigned 7162 they do not have to accept it. This a major reason I will not email the forum. SSA does not use FAX or pdf attachments. The only way is to download the form sign it then EMS it  to WIKLES BARRE

That is definitely not true as I have sent signed then scanned 7162 pdf files to Manila to get Thai widows of US veterans SS benefits reinstated.

Edited by Rdrokit
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

That is definitely not true as I have sent signed then scanned 7162 pdf files to Manila to get Thai widows of US veterans SS benefits reinstated.

I stand corrected. You got me off my arss and I did some digging. Manila does have a fax but still no confirmation on their site about pdf.

Edited by khwaibah
22 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

I stand corrected. You got me off my arss and I did some digging. Manila does have a fax but still no confirmation on their site about pdf.

The pdf files I've sent to Manila or other offices have always been accepted, of course after signing and scanning. The same is true for IRS correspondence, but you cannot rely on anything with the IRS. It's a <deleted> shoot every time, so you may have to try try again. You could attach the raw images if you're nervous, but pdf is more tidy and supposed to be universally acceptable. Since you can never be sure, I always follow up by phone. I do use a Magic Jack dongle with a Montana number, so you have to adhere to the right time zone. 

• Like 1

Not to take any chances in this not getting the form was starting to bother me as I haven't read anything official from SSA about no mail out this year. I down loaded the form, filled it out went to the post office paid 883.00 Baht and mailed it EMS. now I'm done with it.

2 hours ago, pmarlin said:

Not to take any chances in this not getting the form was starting to bother me. I down loaded the form, filled it out went to the post office paid 883.00 Baht and mailed it EMS. now I'm done with it.

Three of us did the same. Unfortunately, they don't acknowledge receiving or accepting it. I'll call in October to check. 

This is the reply I received from US Embassy Manila regarding Form 7162 for 2020:

===========================================

Re: Re: FEQ Form 7162 for 2020

un 16 at 8:21 AM

FBU Manila <[email protected]>

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Greetings!

The SSA Questionnaire (Form SSA-7162 and SSA-7161) this year is delayed. You may follow up with us by end of July 2020 for any guidance that may possibly be already by that time.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and enhanced community quarantine in the Philippines, current operations in the Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) are significantly limited. This includes, but are not limited to our telephone system, appointments and mails. 

Please be aware that you may have to wait longer than normal for your request to be attended. Please direct all correspondence to [email protected] and avoid sending multiple emails, as this will cause further delays.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The SSA Questionnaire (Form SSA-7162 and SSA-7161) this year is delayed."

Boy, "delayed" could mean the form is still being mailed but may take much longer to arrive due to the COVID....could mean they haven't been mailed yet but will be mailed...could mean the SSA is still deciding trying to decide whether to mail this year....could mean a whole variety of things.   We'll just need to wait and see. 

P.S. @ Migz, big thanks for sharing that Manila response...I'm not trying to shoot the messenger (i.e., you) with my comments above.  Just commenting on what Manila's "delayed" response might really mean.  And I expect HQ SSA has only given Manila guidance using the "delayed" word also.....Manila is just passing along what HQ SSA has told them.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Pib said:

"The SSA Questionnaire (Form SSA-7162 and SSA-7161) this year is delayed."

My tracker shows Manila has read my query with the signed 7162 pdf attached. No reply yet, but assume it will be the same. Seems like the typical disregard for us old ???? folks. We'll just need to check for news from time to time, not panic until October. Could be the next asteroid will solve our problems. Chad Daybell claims July is our last month. 

12 minutes ago, cusanus said:

My tracker shows Manila has read my query with the signed 7162 pdf attached. No reply yet, but assume it will be the same. Seems like the typical disregard for us old ???? folks. We'll just need to check for news from time to time, not panic until October. Could be the next asteroid will solve our problems. Chad Daybell claims July is our last month. 

If I was Manila I would not accept any 7162 submitted to them until after the normal 7162 annual mailing process has occurred which if you didn't get a 7162 from the May/June mailing then you must wait and see if your receive a 2nd notice in Sep/Oct.   I would not accept because it just creates duplicate work (work for Wilkes Barre and Manila...and lord knows Manila has more work than they can handle now), tries to bypass the normal 7162 process, and could possibly indicate a person is really deceased but family/friends/some bad guy is trying to keep the payments going....or the person has the wrong/incomplete address on file with the SSA, etc.  

If not receiving a 7162 by 1 Nov "then" Manila will accept a 7162 you send to them assuming you have been in discussion with them on the Missing In Action (MIA) 7162.

This is what happened to my wife last year who didn't get a 7162 on the 1st May/Jun mailing or 2nd Sep/Oct mailing, but I did on the 1st mailing.  And we both have the exact same address on file with SSA based on what is shown in our online MySSA accounts and occasional other mailings from SSA.  Plus other US govt mailings find our address with no problem.  

When contacting Manila about the wife's MIA 7172 the response was wait until after the 2nd mailing time frame and if no 7162 received by 1 Nov then contact Manila again and they will email a blank 7172 for completion, scanning, and emailing back to Manila.  That is what ended up happening.  Contacted Manila again in early Nov via email that no 7162 has been received...a few days latter they responded by sending a blank 7162 with instructions to complete, scan, and email to Manila.  Did that...all went fine...payments never stopped.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pib said:

If I was Manila I would not accept any 7162 submitted to them until after the normal 7162 annual mailing process has occurred which if you didn't get a 7162 from the May/June mailing then you must wait and see if your receive a 2nd notice in Sep/Oct. 

If you were Manila.

Edited by cusanus
52 minutes ago, cusanus said:

If you were Manila.

Yeap....I'm not....but I sure know last year Manila simply did not want to provide/accept a 7162 until 1 Nov....kept responding wait till 1 Nov.....until after the Wilkes Barre two mailing times had passed.   Similar responses from two different Manila reps who responded prior to 1 Nov.  Below is one of their pre-Nov responses.

Kindly wait for another mail from the US office this October. If you do not receive on the said month, by November contact us so that we can send you a copy. We cannot send you yet the form this time since forms are still being sent out the Wilkes Barre and it has a bar code. Rest assured that your  benefits will not be placed into suspense.

Edited by Pib

Or, if you filed for SS in the States, prior to moving to Thailand, then, go ahead and establish your online SS account, which requires that US related information. But, don't bother to advise Manilla that you're now a resident of Thailand: Yes, they want that info, but by law it's not required -- as long as you're a bonafide recipient of your SS check (i.e., your not on SSI). Thus, avoid the annual "I'm alive" fire drill.  Check it out: They're not going to suspend your SS check --'cause you went on a three year around the world cruise -- or moved to Thailand, for a yet determined time of stay. 

• Like 1

A person can signup online from Thailand but simply use their U.S. address (if they still have a U.S. mailing address to use like maybe a mail forwarding company, family, friend, etc.).   

Or a person could simply change their address onfile with SSA to a US address.

That will prevent any Manila involvement and the annual "are you still alive form." 

But you are suppose to tell the SSA where you are actually living per their regulations....primarily for the SSA to ensure your payments are not made to any country that's on their restricted list.

Edited by Pib
32 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

If I knew then what I know now I would NOT have signed up through Manila I would have waited and gone back to America and signed up. Just saying

Heck, got SS from Manila just with a phone call. They also provided critical assistsne both to myself and X wife during the last 15 years. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

Heck, got SS from Manila just with a phone call. They also provided critical assistsne both to myself and X wife during the last 15 years. 

You can not use the internet options unless you sign up in the USA it is that simple. You would not be going the through all this the BS that is put on us.

46 minutes ago, connda said:

I'm interested if anyone has received the form yet?

On the previous page you will see a post with a copy of an email from Manila.

They apparently have not been sent out yet. Maybe next month.

There is also info coming out that if they do not get one back they will not stop payment for it. 

They are apparently aware many people living overseas will have problems getting them and sending them back due to covid 19.

19 hours ago, Pib said:

Or a person could simply change their address onfile with SSA to a US address.

T

since when can someone do this changing from an overseas address to a stateside one using thier web site. When I log on that option is not availble to me.

36 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

since when can someone do this changing from an overseas address to a stateside one using thier web site. When I log on that option is not availble to me.

I didn't say you could change your address "online"...I said you could apply for benefits online.

Folks with a MySAA acct and an foreign address can not change their address online as you said....they must contact SSA by email/mail/phone/office visit to make that change.  And people with a foreign address onfile can not change their direct deposit info online...once again they must contact SSA by email/call/office visit/mail to do that.  

However, folks with a MySSA acct and US address onfile with the SSA can change their address and bank info online using their MySSA acct.

IF you're living outside of the US and are able to successfully change your address to a US address and avoid receiving the Form 7162, you, most likely, may NOT avoid receiving summons to appear for jury duty. If that happens, what reason/s can you give to be excused from performing your jury duty?  And again IF you're able to get an excuse ONCE, that doesn't mean you are excused forever.  I would like to get someone's "two cents" on this. 

14 minutes ago, Migz said:

IF you're living outside of the US and are able to successfully change your address to a US address and avoid receiving the Form 7162, you, most likely, may NOT avoid receiving summons to appear for jury duty. If that happens, what reason/s can you give to be excused from performing your jury duty?  And again IF you're able to get an excuse ONCE, that doesn't mean you are excused forever.  I would like to get someone's "two cents" on this. 

Many years back when I was working and living in Saudi Arabia I used a good friends address in Carson City Nevada for dl and voting. We were talking and he told me he had some mail for me and one was a jury duty summons, I had him mail all to me (8000 miles) back then mail did make. When I received the summons the report date was still some two weeks off, Grand Jury Duty Reno Nevada. They did pay your milage when serving soooooo I mailed the summons back with a note asking if they would pay my milage from Saudi Arabia. The return letter did have a Saudi post mark. Never heard from them.

30 minutes ago, Migz said:

Possibly a problem, but in most jurisdictions, unlikely.  In Manhattan, which is full of courts with a constant need for jurors, there was a time when we could expect to be summoned every two years for service.  Nevertheless, it was always true that the easiest way to avoid it was just to toss the summons.  There was little or no enforcement, much less prosecution.  

3 hours ago, Migz said:

Federal/state/local court systems do not use SSA, IRS, State Dept, and other federal agency address databases for jury duty; instead, they use voter registration, driver licenses/state ID address databases, and other local databases. 

https://www.thoughtco.com/can-nonregistered-voters-skip-jury-duty-3367687

A couple of example of state guidance on jury selection.  Federal courts also use jurors with addresses in the area of the court.

California Jury Selection

Jury selection refers to a procedure employed to choose the people from among the community using a reasonably random method to serve on a trial jury.  In California,the trial by jury is a cherished constitutional right, and jury service is an obligation of citizenship.

It is the policy of the State of California that all persons selected for jury service shall be selected at random from the population of the area served by the court.  All qualified persons have an equal opportunity to be considered for jury service in the state and an obligation to serve as jurors when summoned for that purpose.  It is the responsibility of jury commissioners to manage all jury systems in an efficient, equitable, and cost-effective manner.

Virginia Jury Selection

Potential jurors are selected randomly by the jury commissioners using lists designated by the courts, such as the voter registration list and the driver’s license list either mechanically or electronically.  

Edited by Pib
21 hours ago, Pib said:

I didn't say you could change your address "online"...I said you could apply for benefits online.

This what you wrote

"Or a person could simply change their address onfile with SSA to a US address."

I know the procedures as I have been on SS since I was 65 eight years ago, just didn't want others to get confusing information.

13 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

This what you wrote

"Or a person could simply change their address onfile with SSA to a US address."

I know the procedures as I have been on SS since I was 65 eight years ago, just didn't want others to get confusing information.

Yes, change your address "onfile" with SSA...I didn't say you could change it online.   

• Like 1