US SS form 7162

55 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

If they aren't being mailed this year why worry. It's a lot to do about nothing>

They aren't telling us exactly how this is going to play out. A lot of us are paranoid because we've got years experience working for or dealing with the US government and know better than to let down our guard. Being cut off from SS would be most unpleasant, and while you could call them in past years, since Covid-19 they do not take calls and or reliably answer email.  Ditto with eBay and PayPal who both just cut me off without explanation. 

Edited by cusanus
11 hours ago, orang37 said:

until there are no planes carrying packages, or mail, because of a pandemic, you know.

~o:37;

? Have you been reading the posts? I mailed my 7162 EMS over two weeks ago to Wilkes-Barre. The postal agent told me ordinary air and it arrived two weeks later. 

16 minutes ago, cusanus said:

? Have you been reading the posts? I mailed my 7162 EMS over two weeks ago to Wilkes-Barre. The postal agent told me ordinary air and it arrived two weeks later. 

Maybe he meant regular airmail? Which to the U.S. is ~30 ish baht. AFAIK, that service remains unavailable.

A letter to the U.S. is possible now via EMS (880 baht) and Courier Post (Thai post partnership with DHL), for 990 baht.

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/rate_result/?country_code=US&weight=25

A letter to the Philippines appears to be only possible via Courier Post for 790 baht.

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/rate_result/?country_code=PH&weight=25

Edited by mtls2005
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, Trillian said:

I just received this from Ifbu London:

Any beneficiaries who did not respond to either the first or the second mailing will not have their benefits suspended. The 2020 cycle is suspended until further notice.  All beneficiaries will continue to receive uninterrupted pay. 

Sincerely,

Claims Representative (FA)

United States Embassy

Federal Benefits Unit

33 Nine Elms Lane

London

SW11 7US

And now Manila has said about the same thing in a email to a friend.

SSA temporarily suspended certain adverse actions that would normally result in a reduction, suspension, or termination of Social Security benefits. This includes the mailing of the SSA-7161/SSA-7162. We may have additional information regarding your inquiry by next month.

Social Security Administration – Federal Benefits Unit

Address: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930 Manila, Philippines

• Thanks 1

My plan is once regular airmail resumes the the U.S. the wife and I will mail Wilkes Barre a completed 7162.  I figure regular airmail will return in a month or so...don't want to spend BIG baht on an EMS mailing to Wilkes-Barre.  And then on 1 Nov we will scan/email a copy of those 7162s to the Manila office to play it safe....but I will not do the email to Manila before 1 Nov based on past experience with Manila. 

This assumes the SSA/Manila doesn't surprise us and provide "definitive, clear-as-a-bell guidance" like making an official announcement that the 7162 process/requirement is cancelled for 2020 due to COVID19, Wilkes Barre will not be mailing any 7162 for completion, there is no requirement for beneficiaries to provide a 7162 for 2020, do not worry in the least that your benefits will be suspended if not providing a 7162, etc.  Have a Nice Day.

As I described earlier in this thread, based on my experience with Manila last year when the wife didn't get a 7162 in the mail (but I did) when inquiring Manila about what to do two times each time Manila responded and said wait until after the second mailing in Sep/Oct time frame and if no Wilkes-Barre 7162 received by end of Oct, then to email Manila again and then they will email a 7162 to for completion, scanning, and emailing back to Manila....job done.

Manila simply wanted the normal 7162 process to run its course before they got involved in providing and accepting a 7162.  They didn't want to get involved until 1 Nov....just like the Important note on the Manila FBU still says/implies as of 15 July 2020.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/feq/

IMPORTANT: If you do not receive the form by November 1st, please contact us immediately. 

I will not be surprised in the least if HQ SSA does "not" provide any definitive guidance like the 7162 process is cancelled for 2020 due to COVID19 and beneficiaries do not have provide an 7162 for 2020.   Instead, they will just continue with temporary guidance....standby-to-standby type guidance....which will result in a lot of people just mailing a Do-It-Yourself 7162 to Wilkes-Barre in hopes of playing it safe/satisfying the SSA gods. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

Better to wait until things get back to normal. I didn't and sent nine EMS on 17 Jun and delivered on 14 July. Total waste of 880 baht.

Don't hold your breath, there may never be a normal. 

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sent my SSA -7162 by email to Manila today. Completed it using Adobe, printed it, signed it, scanned it and saved as a PDF file to send them.

Waited 60 days from when I normally would of gottein it in early June.

Got the auto reply so will wait and see if I get another one from them.

• Like 2
On 8/9/2020 at 8:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

Got the auto reply so will wait and see if I get another one from them.

Got one this morning saying they had received it. Very short message "Signed 7162 received. Thank you."

That is enough for me not to worry about it anymore.

• Thanks 1

The wife and I draw SS here in Thailand.  Last week/13 Aug we prepared & scanned the 7162's for email submission to Manila since we have not received any 7162's form Wilkes Barre who probably haven't mailed any yet...and may not mail any at all this year.   Attached the 7162's to one joint email to the Manila SS office.  In the body of the email I said we have not received any 7162's from Wilkes Barres probably due to world wide mailing disruptions caused by the ongoing COVID pandemic...and requested confirmation of receipt and this satisfies this year’s 7162 submission need.  

Today/19Aug got an email response from Manila of confirmation of receipt and they said they have placed the 7162's in their system.   That's close enough for me that it satisfies this year's 7162 submission need.

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Pib,

Good day.

We acknowledge receipt of your 7162.

We have placed it in our system and also noted in your records.

Thank you.

• Like 1
FBU Manila <[email protected]>
Tue 8/18/2020 10:58 PM
To:
  •  You

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Due to the ongoing pandemic, the annual mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 has been delayedThe forms will be mailed out later this year so, at this time, no further action is needed. To stay updated about what SSA is doing during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may visit SSA’s COVID-19 Updates page.

Address: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930 Manila, Philippines

Inquiry Line: (+63 2) 5301-2000, Option 9

Telephone Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays - 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM (Manila Time), except U.S. and Philippine Holidays

Public Hours: Monday through Friday - 8:00 AM  to 12:00 PM, except U.S. and Philippine Holidays and the first Wednesday of every month.*

• 2 weeks later...

I have had less success dealing with the FBU in the Philippines...it's been a week since I emailed my SSA-7162 and no reply / acknowledgement.

In June-July this year, I sent multiple emails requesting assistance to change my wife's address in the SSA "my Social Security"; currently a U.S address and needing to change to our Thailand address, and not a single response / acknowledgement.

3 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

I have had less success dealing with the FBU in the Philippines...it's been a week since I emailed my SSA-7162 and no reply / acknowledgement. In June-July this year, I sent multiple emails requesting assistance to change my wife's address in the SSA "my Social Security"; currently a U.S address and needing to change to our Thailand address, and not a single response / acknowledgement.

You'd be lucky to ever receive a reply to a gov email. You could use an extension on your email account to alert when/if it's been opened/read. Do not expect to change your/wife's address using an email, it doesn't work that way. If she still has an account online from the states, you can view the address on record (click). Good luck, I spent hours on the phone with SS reps trying to change my ex's address to Thailand, but it never worked. There's something real fishy going on with her. I have NOT been successful calling the IRS or SS since Covid-19, so I couldn't call to reinstate her benefits which were wrongly terminated two years ago, nor does it appear there's any way to recoup the stimulus check they sent to a wrong address, nor does it look like anyone could change an address anymore or any damn thing by phone. The US has collapsed. Filling in and sending in a downloaded 7162 every year has apparently worked to keep her from being suspended again, but for some reason none of the SS or IRS mail sent to her ever arrives, not even the stimulus check, though it was sent to somebody. NOTE: There is a form (you look it up) for changing the IRS registered address, so perhaps you should do that. Also, keep in mind that the address they have on record is the one used on the last 1040 filed. So, what was the address on her last 1040? If you're still worried about the new 7162 being recorded (with her new address), then send it (original signature) EMS to the Wilke's Barr address. If you read back a few posts, you'll see that I did this and the EMS tracking shows it being received as shown in my post. You can use the PO Box or even the actually building room number as I did. So, why not do it that way? 

Edited by cusanus

You can change your address on file with the SSA by email to the Manila SSO.  I did it via March 2019 email for the wife and I....changed from a US address to our Thailand address.  The email was written as a joint email from both of us.   Took Manila about a week to respond...confirmed they updated our address.  And the updated addressed showed in our SSA Online accts.

When corresponding with Manila be sure to include below basic identification info in your email/correspondence....below is a cut and paste from their automatic response email saying what to be sure to include in your correspondence to them.   Otherwise, you many not hear back from Manila as you have not properly passed step one of their identity check.

To assist us in answering your inquiry, we may request additional information from you. Providing this information is optional; however, we may not be able to assist you without the following information:

·         Last Name:

·         First Name:

·         Date of Birth:

·         Place of Birth:

·         Last four digits of Social Security Number (SSN):

·         Address:

·         Contact Number 

• Like 2

Will also add that the address you have on file with the IRS can be completely different from the one you have on file with the SSA.   The IRS address will be based on the address you put on your federal return or the separate IRS address update form.   

If you have not started drawing any social security benefits SSA will use your IRS address for mailing purposes.  But once you apply/start receiving SS benefits whatever address you provide the SSA will be the address the SSA uses for you; "not" a different address you may have on file with the IRS or other govt agency.  The IRS and SSA address databases do not update each other.

Like for the wife and I....for the IRS we have our US mailing address on file...but for the SSA we have our Thailand address on file.  

Edited by Pib
9 hours ago, Pib said:

You can change your address on file with the SSA by email to the Manila SSO.  I did it via March 2019 email for the wife and I....changed from a US address to our Thailand address.  The email was written as a joint email from both of us.   Took Manila about a week to respond...confirmed they updated our address.  And the updated addressed showed in our SSA Online accts.

When corresponding with Manila be sure to include below basic identification info in your email/correspondence....below is a cut and paste from their automatic response email saying what to be sure to include in your correspondence to them.   Otherwise, you many not hear back from Manila as you have not properly passed step one of their identity check.

If they need this info to answer or respond then they should email back this requirement.  I've sent 6 emails re requesting assistance on changing my wife's address and 2 emails related to submitting the 7162 and zero acknowledgments & zero responses.  Hell, they could set up an auto reply to all incoming email messages stating their requirements if there be such a rule.

Edited by jeffandgop
1 hour ago, jeffandgop said:

If they need this info to answer or respond then they should email back this requirement.

They do send one. This the one I got when I sent my 7162.

"Automatic response: Your email has been received"

And it does contain the info to provide as posted by PIB.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They do send one. This the one I got when I sent my 7162.

"Automatic response: Your email has been received"

And it does contain the info to provide as posted by PIB.

I didn't receive any automatic response to any of the emails...And yes, it was sent to what I believe is their correct email address FBU.Manila.gov

For IRS purposes we use our Thailand address- both of us.  For the last 8 years.....

But it's not urgent.  I created her mySSA profile which requires a US address; and thought a quick follow-up to Manila to change it to Thailand as they had done for me before would be easy.  As she is not yet eligible to collect benefits, it doesn't matter...

10 hours ago, Pib said:

Will also add that the address you have on file with the IRS can be completely different from the one you have on file with the SSA.   The IRS address will be based on the address you put on your federal return or the separate IRS address update form.   If you have not started drawing any social security benefits SSA will use your IRS address for mailing purposes.  But once you apply/start receiving SS benefits whatever address you provide the SSA will be the address the SSA uses for you; "not" a different address you may have on file with the IRS or other govt agency.  The IRS and SSA address databases do not update each other.

Hope you're right. The SS agent told me the address used for SS is updated to the last filed on the 1040, though if it had been, why no mail? Maybe he was full of beans, but the 7162 requires you to certify the address listed as being correct, so it seems to me that's a conflict. If it's different from the 1040 maybe that's not a problem for you, but it could be for some. Many efforts to set it straight hasn't helped my ex, though. Her address on record was finally corrected after a year and a half of phone calls, but three years later she still receives NOTHING from either SS or the IRS. So who got her stimulus payment? Nobody can say because there are no longer live persons available since Covid. Yeah, you may get an automated response to an email, but that doesn't answer your questions. I'm more comfortable knowing the 7162 was received via EMS. It looks like the proof of life form won't be required this year, anyway, so the concern is all for naught. 

2 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

If they need this info to answer or respond then they should email back this requirement.  I've sent 6 emails re requesting assistance on changing my wife's address and 2 emails related to submitting the 7162 and zero acknowledgments & zero responses.  Hell, they could set up an auto reply to all incoming email messages stating their requirements if there be such a rule.

They do have an auto reply that your email was received....does not mean it was read yet...just means their mail server is acknowledging receipt.  I've always got one with the "many" emails I have sent to SSA Manila over the years regarding issues/questions with my SS benefit, my wife's, and a neighbor on SS who I help out. 

The auto reply takes several minutes...so don't expect it just seconds later.   For example, this morning at 7:36am I sent an email to [email protected] which is the Manila SSA main email. 

It is "not" FBU.Manila.gov like you mentioned you are using.   And depending on your email system it may not give you a reply that you have sent to an email address that does not exist.  So, quite possibly you are not getting any responses simply because you are sending to the wrong/bad email address. 

Anyway, at 7:38am I got their auto reply which is quoted at the  bottom (but I did remove my email address to protect the innocent--me).

Now once an email arrives the Manila SSA main inbox and a general support rep reads the email the general support rep will determine what happens next.  If you have sent an email with receipt requested of read such read requests only work if that receiving email server allows such responses to go back....many do not....it's a security thing. 

If it's a very general question they can answer and not really specific to any problem you are having you might get a response from that general support rep...and the response may not even have anything identifying the specific rep by name or email address.  And if it's a general support question the rep determines is clearly answer on the SSA webpage your email may just get deleted at that point due to heavy workload.

And note, the general support rep duty gets rotated among the reps at Manila....like for weeks or month at a time....it's not like they have one rep whose job is nothing more than to monitor the [email protected] email box.  But if the general support rep determines your email must be forward to the rep "who is assigned your SSN" then that general support rep must figure out what rep you SSN is assigned to in order to relay your email.  That's where the info you include like your SSN, name, DOB, etc., is needed....and I expect it also serves as a identity confirmation.   

Once the rep who is assigned your SSN gets the email then they can work it....and usually any reply will include their specific name, email address, phone number, etc., especially in cases where that rep may ask you to provide additional info/documentation to be sent to that rep/Attention that rep.  And just because you may have an old email from Manila rep that once worked a specific issue, well, that does "not" mean that rep is still assigned your SSN as they rotate assigned SSNs among reps approximately every year.  So, best to send your email only to the [email protected] address "unless you are actively working a current issue with a specific rep and that rep gave you their email address for additional correspondence on the current issue being worked."  

See this Manila SSA webpage for their contact info to include email address.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/contact/

Quote of Manila SSA Auto Reply.

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 7:38 AM
To:
Subject: Automatic response: Your email has been received

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Thank you for contacting the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.  Due to public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the Philippines, operations in the Federal Benefits Unit may be limited; however, we typically respond to email inquiries within 5 business days.  We respectfully request that you avoid sending multiple emails, as this may cause further delays.

The Federal Benefits Unit is unable to answer inquiries related to visas, passports, registrations of birth, voting, and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Please visit the Embassy Sections and Agencies page for assistance in contacting the appropriate section.

To assist us in answering your inquiry, we may request additional information from you. Providing this information is optional; however, we may not be able to assist you without the following information:

·         Last Name:

·         First Name:

·         Date of Birth:

·         Place of Birth:

·         Last four digits of Social Security Number (SSN):

·         Address:

·         Contact Number:

Answers to many Frequently Asked Questions are available online so we encourage you to visit our website before contacting our office.

Apply Online for BenefitsIts fast and easy!

You can apply for the following benefits online:

1.    Retirement at www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement

2.    Disability at www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability

3.    Medicare Only at www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare

If you have a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO mailing address, you can also apply for your own personal mySocialSecurity account at www.ssa.gov/myaccount. At this time, no other online services are available outside the United States.

Our online hours of operation are:

·         Weekdays     5:00 AM 1:00 AM Eastern Time (ET)

·         Saturday       5:00 AM 11:00 PM ET

·         Sunday         8:00 AM 11:30 PM ET

·         Holidays        5:00 AM 1:00 AM ET

Sincerely,

Embassy of the United States of America | Manila, Philippines

Inquiry Line: (+63 2) 5301-2000, Option 9

Telephone Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays - 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM (Manila Time), except U.S. and Philippine Holidays

Public Hours: Monday through Friday - 8:00 AM  to 12:00 PM, except U.S. and Philippine Holidays and the first Wednesday of every month

For additional information regarding the Social Security Administration, please visit www.ssa.gov.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

Hope you're right. The SS agent told me the address used for SS is updated to the last filed on the 1040, though if it had been, why no mail? Maybe he was full of beans, but the 7162 requires you to certify the address listed as being correct, so it seems to me that's a conflict. 

It' a fact.  The SSA will only use your IRS address if you are "not drawing any SS benefits" as the IRS may be the only place they can find your address on file with another US govt agency.  Therefore, the only way the SSA could get your address is by using the address you have on file with the IRS. 

Basically, up until a person starts drawing SS benefits the SSA will just use your IRS address.  But once you start drawing SS benefits they will stop using the IRS federal return address; they will only use the address you provide the SSA....an address which may be different from the address you use for your federal return.

And here's another tidbit, if you were trying to create a MySSA Online Acct, which any US person with a SSN and US address (must meet both criteria) can do, young adult or old adult, during that process you must enter your US address...and that address is "not" being used to provide the SSA your address to have on file with the SSA but for use with the Identity Verification Service SSA has a contract with to verify your identity during that online acct creation process.  And the Identity Verification Service is one of the credit report agencies (i.e., Equifax, TransUnion, Experian).  I think Equifax currently has the SSA contract for identify verification.  The SSA does not use your IRS address during the MySSA Online acct creation/verification process. 

So, if you enter your address of XYZ during the MySSA Online Acct registration process...and maybe address XYZ is also the address you use on your IRS federal return...if that address is not on record with the credit reporting agency (or partially misspelled on the agency record) who normally get address info from "your banking and credit card" companies as reported by those banks/credit card companies to credit agencies then you will not be able to pass the MySSA Online acct creation process because the address you are entering is not matching with the address the credit reporting agency has for you.  Now once you pass that online creation process you can then change the address to a foreign address as the address entry during the acct creation process was only used for identify verification purposes; not to establish your address with the SSA.

9 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

I didn't receive any automatic response to any of the emails...And yes, it was sent to what I believe is their correct email address FBU.Manila.gov

For IRS purposes we use our Thailand address- both of us.  For the last 8 years.....

But it's not urgent.  I created her mySSA profile which requires a US address; and thought a quick follow-up to Manila to change it to Thailand as they had done for me before would be easy.  As she is not yet eligible to collect benefits, it doesn't matter...

I want to correct the email address I stated originally.  I mis-typed what address I have been sending email to.  In fact it should have been read as "And yes, it was sent to what I believe is their correct email address [email protected].  I have never received, in response to my recent emails, any auto acknowledgements- receipt, read, or otherwise.

2 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

I want to correct the email address I stated originally.  I mis-typed what address I have been sending email to.  In fact it should have been read as "And yes, it was sent to what I believe is their correct email address [email protected].  I have never received, in response to my recent emails, any auto acknowledgements- receipt, read, or otherwise.

Expect the problem is on "your" end.  Have you checked your email spam/junk folder?   

Try sending a test email to above email address...just title it Test...and maybe enter Test in the body....that way when (if) Manila receive it they know it just someone pinking their email as a test.  As mentioned an automatic acknowledgement will be sent to you within approx 5 minutes....like the one I got this morning in approx 2 minutes.   If you don't get the automatic acknowledgement there is most likely a problem on your end. 

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2