Lockdown easing latest: Calls to open bars and clubs ahead of schools rejected

webfact

1 hour ago, Phil McCaverty said:

The borders aren't really opening on July 1st. The Chinese won't be coming in then.

Well let's wait and see. In Thailand anything is possible, especially with these muppets running the show.

I do tend to agree though that even if they open the borders the influx will be slow.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A public health spokesman said that calls to open up pubs, clubs and discos before schools is being rejected. 

Dr Thanarak Phaliphat said that representations had been made by the entertainment industry to ease lockdown for them by mid-June.

He said that if that were to happen and if it proved to cause a further outbreak then schools would not be able to open as scheduled on July 1st.

His comments indicated where Thailand's priorities lie, notes Thaivisa. 

Presumably Thaivisa was "noting" that Thailand's priorities do lie with the schools?

On paper / Officially it's very hard to define the difference between a bar, a pub, a beer bar, an open bar etc etc. Many businesses in Thailand are registered as something different from what they really are. Therefore, it's safer for the government to have a blanket ban. And in my opinion I tend to agree. Also, as some previous posters claim that with so few customers, what's wrong with opening? Well, if a bar has to pay staff etc to open for a few expats, then that might be worse for them than staying closed.

And with so many young Thais off of school and work right now, should they have the temptation of going out drinking? Add to this the irresponsible ones who might waste the household's money on booze and what comes with it, then things will get worse.

Don't get me wrong, I like a drink, and I can't wait until things open up. But I do see their sense in this.

As for booze in restaurants, well I am also looking forward to those days, but if it's allowed, a gang of Somchais will order a few plates of food and then drink for hours.

It's clear that most people on TVF are Farang expats who think that Thailand should revolve around their needs. With no tourists coming in, why would the government want to allow what such a small percentage of people here really want? Yes, the industry needs to open up for the good of the businesses and livelihoods involved, but it's too risky given how people behave when out drinking socially.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

In the BP Facebook page today, South Korea will have mandatory QR codes to enter bars, clubs and karaoke clubs from 10th June. You just know that Prayut will implement this. https://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFKBN239075

Good luck enforcing it. Only a very few laws are strictly enforced in Thailand.

1 hour ago, dave moir said:

Makes me laugh that they basically don't want people going to other countries for fear of catching Covid 19 but will welcome people from other countries eg China with open arms!!!!

What make you laugh?? Recent cases of imported virus were from Thai people coming back from UK, USA or middle-east. None from China.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mark17AA said:

Why they don't let hotels serve alcohol to residents.. is equally ridiculous. Who wants to do domestic travel when there no facilities to enjoy.

How much domestic travel to stay in hotels (that are mostly closed) do you think is happening right now?

Children don't get sick with this virus except with serious co-morbidities.
Children don't go into bars, anyway.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He continued that the vulnerable like the elderly, people with health issues and the obese should continue to stay home.

Bingo. The only thing he said I agree with, since they are the only ones affected by this virus beyond cold-symptoms.  If everyone else could quickly get it and become immune, the lock down of the vulnerable could End Sooner.

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Except if they want to change the actual world reputation for Thailand

and get ride of the girlies bars, It could be the unspoken project

Girlie bars,  i don't use them , anymore .

Thailand needs to review its reputation,of being the Worlds largest brothel.

Not good for us expats , with folks back home ..

Edited by elliss
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, malibukid said:

who wants to go to a bar if you have to wear a mask and social distance?

Im certainly not going to any gogo bars,where that is the requirement.

They will eventualy close down,due to lack of customers.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

His comments indicated where Thailand's priorities lie, notes Thaivisa. 

Which have obviously changed since early February... maybe a lesson learnt.

The Thai entertainment industry doesn't give a hoot about peoples health.

49 minutes ago, BoojamTheKind said:

What you say here is absolutely correct. It is tragic that the public discourse remains focussed on exaggerated concerns about a virus which according to the CDC has a maximum case fatality rate of 0.4%. This is not a conspiracy theory. It is published data from top government sources in the US. 

The media and politicians continue to ignore the revised data regarding the true danger represented by the novel coronavirus. They prefer to continue to push extreme risk-averse policies and generally hype fear and panic. What we are seeing is a form of mass psychosis, a new type of fascism. It is political and has zero to do with science.

The US should know right enough.

Hot bed of disease.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

I dont get your logic. If there are no domestic cases, where is the infection coming from? How long does this nonsence have to continue. The numbers are fantastic. Countries in Europe would have opened up weeks ago with numbers way higher than Thailand.

More fool them. they should only open up to countries that have similar or better numbers than them.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1