Thailand reports 17 new coronavirus cases, no new deaths

webfact

Thailand reports 17 new coronavirus cases, no new deaths

s2.reutersmedia.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported 17 new coronavirus cases on Thursday and no new deaths, taking the total number of infections to 3,101, of which 58 were fatalities.

The new cases were Thai nationals in quarantine who recently returned from the Middle East, including 13 from Kuwait alone, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the government's COVID-19 Administration Centre.

There are 2,968 patients who have recovered since the outbreak started.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Martin Petty)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-04

• Haha 1

15 of 17 new cases in state quarantine asymptomatic

By The Nation

800_c6cab03f0669476.jpg?v=1591247800

There were 17 new cases over a 24-hour period, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Thursday (June 4).

Of the 17 new cases, 13 had returned from Kuwait. They comprise 12 men aged 31-56 and a 44-year-old woman. All of them were in state quarantine -- five in Bangkok and eight in Samut Prakan province. Their infection was confirmed by the second test on June 2, though only one of them had shown symptoms.

Two other patients, a male and a female, had returned from Qatar on May 22. The male aged 24 was asymptomatic while the woman, 29, had high fever. Both were in state quarantine in Samut Prakan and tested positive in the second test on June 2.

The other two cases were males aged 28 and 29 who had returned from Saudi Arabia on May 21 and May 25. Both were asymptomatic and found to be infected in the second test on June 1.

As of June 4, the total number of confirmed cases in the country rose to 3,101 -- 75 are under treatment, 2,968 have recovered and been discharged, and there have been 58 deaths.

Globally, the total number of cases is around 6.4 million with around 380,000 deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389041

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-04

• Haha 2

... never mind their funny numbahs, I just came across new possible symtoms ... Christ on a pogo stick, how does >scrotal discomfort< and related >ballooning changes< sound to y'all, l-o-l ... [hysterical laughter] ...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3087427/coronavirus-may-damage-testicles-without-entering-cells-study

Edited by jollyhangmon
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

That's the question.

That said, according to another report it seems that a lot are testing negative to the first test and positive to the second. These tests I assume are in a controlled, clinical environment. What is the policy for returning Thai nationals regarding documentation on testing before travelling back and what test(s) are approved? Or is it just fit to fly with no testing done?

I only ask in advance of Thailand opening the doors to international flights to restart tourism; how are they going to control the tourists when this happens? Personally I don't care (I am in my 60's, relatively fit but with a pancreatic condition) but I do wonder for others possibly getting affected/infected because those in charge are not seeing what is happening in the rest of the world and have more concerns for financials rather than protecting the population.

I agree, but it is not just a Thailand issue.

A plan and coordination between airlines and the governments is necessary.

Thailand has little if any control I bet in a Kuwait, or just about any other country airport.

So, they test at the departure airport and someone is positive.  Then what, cancel the flight and shut down the airport as that positive person has been roaming around for 2 hours waiting for their flight?

It is all a risky logisitical nightmare.  Unless they have a great plan, there will defintely be risk when the hoards return here or go any place.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

This is why they will continue the quarantine of foreign travelers when they eventually let them in.  This isn't going away soon.

It's ok. Quarantine them, but let people who need to get somewhere do so whether they are full time residents or not, especially when traveling from other low risk nations

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

That's the question.

That said, according to another report it seems that a lot are testing negative to the first test and positive to the second. These tests I assume are in a controlled, clinical environment. What is the policy for returning Thai nationals regarding documentation on testing before travelling back and what test(s) are approved? Or is it just fit to fly with no testing done?

I only ask in advance of Thailand opening the doors to international flights to restart tourism; how are they going to control the tourists when this happens? Personally I don't care (I am in my 60's, relatively fit but with a pancreatic condition) but I do wonder for others possibly getting affected/infected because those in charge are not seeing what is happening in the rest of the world and have more concerns for financials rather than protecting the population.

Explained yesterday by Sheryl I do believe.

1 hour ago, Kelsall said:

This is why they will continue the quarantine of foreign travelers when they eventually let them in.  This isn't going away soon.

Not until they have a test that's near instantaneous at the airline check in counter. Then, the same test again prior to exiting the airplane in Thailand. Plus, insuring the tests have a less than 1% probability of a false negative. Then, the happy tourists can scatter for the hills and beaches. But, we ain't there yet -- and it doesn't seem we're even close....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Yes, but how many were tested?

There, that should save a dozen people a job.

Oh yeah, almost forget. How did they get on the plane?

Alas, you got it wrong. The question is how many were tested and ended positive, but have not been confirmed by two reference labs. 

Thanks for the effort though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Still don't understand. Last wk it was 123, 125 cases tested positive out of those repatriated can't remember how many who tested positive. Are they just dribbling out the numbers at their own convenience? An aside. Let's see what happens in the USA in the nxt 14 days or so. Then we should have a good idea if this virus is petering out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Do you hold the view that the country's elderly are OK to be sacrificed, just because they've reached age 60 / 70 / 80 etc???

That's the moral question no politician has the guts to answer yet. The answer will be implicit when they open it all up, forced by economy. Retirees don't produce new taxes to the government as much as younger people do, so chopchop.

One could also argue people used to kick the bucket in their 40's in ancient Rome. The ever extending lifespan due to advanced medical care, etc is causing the pension ponzi schemes to collapse, each next generation having it worse. 

The cards are set for a culling of the elderly, no matter how you spin it. Live it up while you can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Yes, but how many were tested?

There, that should save a dozen people a job.

Oh yeah, almost forget. How did they get on the plane?

Yes but how many tested? how did they get on the plane?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Dunno where you're living, but here in BKK, I don't feel I've been lacking in any freedom (at least as in relation to the CV).

I go where I want, do what I want.

Restaurants? Alcohol. Sit down at a noodle shop and have a beer? Go to a bar? You're saying you have not been stopped from doing this?

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

The Wuhan China virus time bomb is still ticking! 

maybe outside of thailand it is.

the positive folks are all returnees and isolated for everyone else

There has not been a new case in the general public for weeks

and with 1 case in 20,000 here, and less than 1 death per million, it has never been a public health concern

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sapson said:

Who really believes that with a population of 70 million Thailand is just so miraculously Covid 19 free and the only new cases are from overseas returnees.

Think Vietnam population 95 mil and have (claim) zero deaths. 

• Like 1