Pattaya beaches: Police chief warns tourists - we have the power if you break the rules

webfact

Took a walk on Jomtien beach Thursday around 4: hundreds of people, mostly Thais. Maybe 5% had masks. Distancing rare to non existent. Eating from same dish. Populace not keeping their part of the bargain for opening up.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Many Hua Hin hotels booked 100%.

People walking on the beach having a great time.  

Meanwhile  just down the road a bit Evason Pranburi  closed down with a metal wire fence  around and the rest of that beach deserted 2  days  ago when I drove  thru.

7 hours ago, essox essox said:

if you have the power..............THEN why not stop ALL that ride more than 2 on a motorbike....and catch those NOT wearing helmets.....and catch those that UNDERTAKE (which is ILLEGAL).....????

although traffic lanes are all wider and therefore enable safe CCP virus  1.5m distancing.

So as long as traffic can all have the room of using whatever available Left or Right lane - to go faster than the slow vehicle, then all is good.

Mcycles can guttercrawl all they like, as overall that is where they are 'expected' to be ???? 

Passing on the Left or Right of your fender (whilst totally within 'your' lane) ...well that's another story 

Thankfully that silly 'undertake terminology as in the UK/US/Euro etc meaning' of the (non allowing for) using of the more Inside lane - for going 'faster' than a vehicle that is in an outer lane... well that's irrelevant for LOS roads use  

Edited by tifino

Well so much for consensual policing designed to serve the community.  For quite some time I thought that the Police, Immigration Service etc. were just clumsy and a bit out of touch.  I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that their behaviour is driven by arrogance and xenophobia; particularly in respect of farangs.   Who do they think will fund their existence if the foreigners go elsewhere.   I have a Thai partner and so I will tolerate how things are for now.  If my relationship broke down then I would certainly look seriously at relocating to another SE Asian country.  It is very sad as I have such fond memories of the Land of Smiles I fell in love with over 30 years ago.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Emdog said:

Took a walk on Jomtien beach Thursday around 4: hundreds of people, mostly Thais. Maybe 5% had masks. Distancing rare to non existent. Eating from same dish. Populace not keeping their part of the bargain for opening up.

Must have been a big dish.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So you open the beaches and when people go there the authorities freak out. I have no problem being reminded of the rules, but it is a bit much when you are essentially threatened. Given so many of the other places to go remain closed, the beach is about the one place left that people can go, but with the cops in a power frenzy, get ready for stories of sad and stupid arrests and fines, especially one suspects for farang.

They "freak out" because tourism is a huge source of revenue for the country. Chonburi included. So anything that happens here can have repercussions for the whole country.

There is no power frenzy, only an understanding of how willing people are to flout the rules unless there is a real threat to their pocket or liberty.

You know this, so I have no idea as to why you would make such a post.

I haven't had a policeman, police volunteer nor anyone from the local government even look at me sideways during this whole crisis.

It's only the people who flaunt the rules who complain.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, sweatalot said:

they will have to learn that tourists have the power to go somewhere else

Wrong. 

You don't have a grasp of the situation. The closest beaches to Bangkok will always by popular, in order to escape the city.

Where else do you think they will go?

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

They "freak out" because tourism is a huge source of revenue for the country. Chonburi included. So anything that happens here can have repercussions for the whole country.

There is no power frenzy, only an understanding of how willing people are to flout the rules unless there is a real threat to their pocket or liberty.

You know this, so I have no idea as to why you would make such a post.

I haven't had a policeman, police volunteer nor anyone from the local government even look at me sideways during this whole crisis.

It's only the people who flaunt the rules who complain.

I agree with you but won't be going to the beach if I have to wear a face mask the whole time. A nonsense. If tourists do return, I doubt that they would be very happy either.

I understand the government's concern about the virus returning, but sometimes they go too far. Went to my regular local restaurant yesterday with my son which has just reopened. We had to sit diagonally from each other with a plastic screen down the middle of the table. Pointless and an unpleasant dining experience. If my wife had gone with us, one of us would have had to sit at a different table. Won't be going back again until the screens go.

Some of the measures the government are taking, do nothing to prevent the transmission of the virus but are hobbling businesses that are trying to reopen. A nearby and much larger restaurant hasn't even bothered to reopen.

15 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

this whole PLANDEMIC is nothing more than to keep people in FEAR & control

I think we are being shielded from the worst of it, we just get the statistics. 

I don't understand why they care so much about the beach. When the sun goes down there are every night the same public locations where many people sit close together drinking alcohol and not wearing masks and nobody seems to care. 

On 6/5/2020 at 8:12 AM, darksidedog said:

So you open the beaches and when people go there the authorities freak out. I have no problem being reminded of the rules, but it is a bit much when you are essentially threatened. Given so many of the other places to go remain closed, the beach is about the one place left that people can go, but with the cops in a power frenzy, get ready for stories of sad and stupid arrests and fines, especially one suspects for farang.

This warning is directed at Thais since there are no tourists and the odd expat will know the rules. I see nothing wrong with it as we know Thais are above the law and will misbehave  so occasionally they are treated like children 

Edited by madmen
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

So you are worried about the business, but you refuse to support it under the conditions you claim that the government is imposing?

Was yesterday in a restaurant at the Darkside of Pattaya.

4 "important' people arrived, I write "important' because, not only they drove big Mercedes, but the staff rush to open the door, and the lady owner welcomed them formally.

She than quickly remove the keep distancing signs on a table, so they could sit with 4 at one table.

The governmental imposing conditions are clearly not for everyone.

In fact those people may be government  management staff.