Australian replacement passport

Applying for an Australian replacement passport which will have the same expiry date as my current passport, not a renewal passport which would have a new 10 year validity. Does anyone know if the replacement passport number will be the same as the passport it is replacing? I know with a renewal passport it's a new number but I don't know about a replacement passport.

I have never heard of a replacement passport. Normally if your passport is lost/stolen or damaged they issue a new passport valid for 10 years.

If you have actrual replacement passport it would certainly have a different number on it.

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have never heard of a replacement passport. Normally if your passport is lost/stolen or damaged they issue a new passport valid for 10 years.

If you have actrual replacement passport it would certainly have a different number on it.

Not for Australian passport holders. The replacement also has the advantage of being cheaper than a renewal. 

3 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Not for Australian passport holders. The replacement also has the advantage of being cheaper than a renewal. 

I think they might be the only country that does it. I would not bet on the Australian embassy here doing it.

I think it would depend upon on how much time is or was remaining on the old passport if it worth the effort to do it or not. 

5 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

I very much doubt a replacement would have the same number. The blanks come with a number allocated and this is embossed into every page.

If you lost your passport in the Australian bushfires earlier this year I believe they will replace them free of charge.

It will have a new number.

If its a free replacement it can be done online, If a fee is applicable you will have to go to the Embassy in Bangkok.

passport.jpg.7301692afc2b052048747db2729cd1a7.jpg

Edited by Don Mega

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they might be the only country that does it. I would not bet on the Australian embassy here doing it.

I think it would depend upon on how much time is or was remaining on the old passport if it worth the effort to do it or not. 

Must have at least 2 years remaining on the current passport to be able to get a 32 page replacement. Around 3,800 baht currently. Can be done at the Australian embassy Thailand. In my case my passport pages are full so the fee as above applies. In certain cases a fee is not payable.