Police told to investigate ‘rape’ of Bangkok student by taxi driver

snoop1130

Police told to investigate ‘rape’ of Bangkok student by taxi driver

By The Nation

800_9fbfaf5af90898d.jpg

Deputy Commissioner of Metropolitan Police Pol Maj Gen Ittipon Atchariyapradit has ordered several police stations to investigate the alleged rape of a student from one of Bangkok’s most prestigious universities, after the story went viral on Twitter.

A Twitter user posted details of the alleged attack on a female student by a taxi driver as she returned to her home in the Hua Mak area of Bangkok. The report triggered outrage among netizens.

The post said the incident took place in the jurisdiction of Mueang Samut Prakan Police Station, but the victim did not notify the police.

Police stations nearby the scene of the alleged crime – including in Khlong Tan and Rama 9 where there are several taxi garages – have been tasked with investigating to find out whether there is truth to the allegation.

Ittipon also asked the victim to report the incident to police so that she could help them with their investigation.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389257

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-08

15 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

Did the person allegedly raped make a complaint to police, or was it just posted on Twitter?

If no complaint then no offence, until police are informed.

Let me get this right.  What you have written is that no crime/offence is ever committed unless the Police are informed?  A odd point of view if you don't mind me saying so. especially in cases of rape, where the person in question may be too embarrassed to report it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

That means murders don’t exist. 

According to the police your comment is true because they put every death that appears "unusual" down to suicide.  For example, a few years ago in Pattaya a tourist was found chained and padlocked to a post out in the sea which came to well over his head.  The immediate verdict by the investigating "police officer" without a trace of doubt or any further investigation was determined to be suicide.

'nuf sed.

Edited by wotsdermatter
spelling mistake
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, saminoz said:

I think the point that they are making is that unless someone reports it, what are the Police supposed to do?

I am a huge sceptic of the police in Thailand but I can see the viewpoint here.

Perhaps, if the Police conducted themselves more professionally, people (sexual violence victims in particular) might be more inclined to come forward sooner, and through the right channels.

Then the post was very poorly worded. As we have seen with the TVF posts on 'Black LIves Matter', sentence phrasing and the way words are used are so important to meaning and understanding. I fully appreciate that none native English speakers may have issues with the language when using TVF,  and also have a perfect right to be heard in any debate, but its particularity important to get it right when dealing with such sensitive issues, whether native English speaker or not. None of us get it right all the time, but we need to try hard to do so.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

According to the police your comment is true because they put every death that appears "unusual" down to suicide.  For example, a few years ago in Pattaya a tourist was found chained and padlocked to a post out in the sea which came to well over his head.  The immediate verdict by the investigating "police officer" without a trace of doubt or any further investigation was determined to be suicide.

'nuf sed.

And the Frenchman who was found tied upside down from a rafter with his head in a bag full of water which was tied around his neck with wire and the Police comment was "french people often commit suicide like this!" ???? 

15 hours ago, Pilotman said:
15 hours ago, dodgybros said:

Did the person allegedly raped make a complaint to police, or was it just posted on Twitter?

Let me get this right.  What you have written is that no crime/offence is ever committed unless the Police are informed?  A odd point of view if you don't mind me saying so. especially in cases of rape, where the person in question may be too embarrassed to report it. 

While also knowing it would be a waste of time.

37 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Then the post was very poorly worded. As we have seen with the TVF posts on 'Black LIves Matter', sentence phrasing and the way words are used are so important to meaning and understanding. I fully appreciate that none native English speakers may have issues with the language when using TVF,  and also have a perfect right to be heard in any debate, but its particularity important to get it right when dealing with such sensitive issues, whether native English speaker or not. None of us get it right all the time, but we need to try hard to do so.  

How can the OP here set out the facts more plainly?

"The [Twitter] post said the incident took place in the jurisdiction of Mueang Samut Prakan Police Station, but the victim did not notify the police."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The are by far the laziest set of idiots I have yet to come across. They do nothing to serve the community that pays their wages, or at least the part of their wages that they don't go about extorting from those same people. They are a disgrace to Thailand, but hardly unique among Police Services the World over.   I would treat any Police person, anywhere in the World with extreme caution and suspicion.  

30 years ago I was a regular business traveler to Thailand and other SEA countries, China, HK, Korea etc.

I used to reflect on things in the nice comfortable BA Business class flight back to Blighty. One of the things was thinking who lucky we were to have a professional police force.

That was 30 years ago. How times have changed. We're not much better off now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

30 years ago I was a regular business traveler to Thailand and other SEA countries, China, HK, Korea etc.

I used to reflect on things in the nice comfortable BA Business class flight back to Blighty. One of the things was thinking who lucky we were to have a professional police force.

That was 30 years ago. How times have changed. We're not much better off now.

I think that the rot set in when Graduate Entry to Inspector was introduced and community police disappeared from the streets.  Old style cops that I remember had a real feel for the job and  an empathy with the public.  That all disappeared  when they retreated to their Stations, Panda Cars and high speed BMWs and in its place we got career officers, interested only in  promotion. Sad to say that the feeling for policing was never replaced by an intelligent alternative. An old friend used to come up with the cynical comment:  " who would want to spend the whole of their working life life locking up their fellow man".  A bit harsh, but with an element of truth in it.  

I was told years ago by a friend of mine that women are afraid to go to the police to report rape, like the police dont believe them and dont have trained officers to deal with rape victims, so a lot went un reported

23 hours ago, dodgybros said:

Well, just remember that this is the place where people ask: Why make a complaint, because nothing will happen,,,

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That is 100% correct, if it is not reported it did not happen and no justice system in the world can act on it. Unfortunately you are correct when you say many are not reported and therein lies the problem. Please note I am not talking only about Thailand, it is a worldwide issue.

Edited by dodgybros

He then raced off in Bangkok's congestion traffic.  That awkward moment when you keep catching up to your rapist.  He must be the worlds greatest criminal to get away with it.

Edited by johnray

49 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

That is 100% correct, if it is not reported it did not happen and no justice system in the world can act on it. Unfortunately you are correct when you say many are not reported and therein lies the problem. Please note I am not talking only about Thailand, it is a worldwide issue.

Nonsense. read this.  Nothing here about it being reported to be a crime. In fact, its not in any definition of a crime.  If it happened, it happened. unless you live in some kind of parallel universe.  

https://sociologydictionary.org/crime/#definition_of_crime

Edited by Pilotman

On 6/8/2020 at 7:22 PM, dodgybros said:

yes, she could have been just looking for attention

On 6/8/2020 at 7:06 PM, Pilotman said:

The are by far the laziest set of idiots I have yet to come across. They do nothing to serve the community that pays their wages, or at least the part of their wages that they don't go about extorting from those same people. They are a disgrace to Thailand, but hardly unique among Police Services the World over.

So the RTP are "by far the laziest set of idiots", who "do nothing to serve the community" and are "a disgrace to Thailand" just because they hadn't investigated this alleged crime that hadn't even been reported?  What sort of rationale is that?

8 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

The alleged incident had not been reported to the police, how can they be expected to work on that?

Are you really this blind? If an incident have not been reported, why do they know about it?

it is like this in a normal system. If the police are aware of a crime or that the law has been broken, they are bound by duty to investigate.

However, not in Thailand apparently.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 7:22 PM, dodgybros said:

Bet you wouldn't be saying that if it was one of your relatives, many rapes go unreported because of the social consequences.

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Are you really this blind? If an incident have not been reported, why do they know about it?

it is like this in a normal system. If the police are aware of a crime or that the law has been broken, they are bound by duty to investigate.

However, not in Thailand apparently.

They know about it because it was 'tweeted', ... They are investigating it. They have also asked the victim to come forward. Did you actually read the OP ?

11 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

So the RTP are "by far the laziest set of idiots", who "do nothing to serve the community" and are "a disgrace to Thailand" just because they hadn't investigated this alleged crime that hadn't even been reported?  What sort of rationale is that?

because the idiots knew about, it but had to be told by their boss to investigate it.  That seems to me to be the very  definition of a set of lazy morons. 

• Confused 1