Rhodes Must Fall - Oxford protesters target statue of colonialist

webfact

2 hours ago, transam said:

It is still GB history, statues are erected by those in authority at the time, for what ever reason..

And taken down by those in authority at the time. Just look at London where they are getting rid of these statues to glorify slave traders. 

8 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Got that right. 

Rewriting history is pure stupidity. 

W/out Rhodes, the diamond and gold industry in southern Africa would not be as organized as they are. 

Rhodes was a visionary who got the Seleous Scouts started to hold back the Marxist terrorists in Rhodesia. A shame Britain abandoned those farmers. 

Those white farmers declared its own unilateral deceleration of independence. They didnt want any help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

In my view the first black immigrants that came to the UK in the 50's (en mass) deserve a statue. They had to go through a lot..????

What did they "have" to go through....they all came voluntarily

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Got that right. 

Rewriting history is pure stupidity. 

W/out Rhodes, the diamond and gold industry in southern Africa would not be as organized as they are. 

Rhodes was a visionary who got the Seleous Scouts started to hold back the Marxist terrorists in Rhodesia. A shame Britain abandoned those farmers. 

I don't think Cecil John Rhodes had anything to do with the Selous Scouts, since they were a special forces regiment , raised in 1973, in the Rhodesian Army during the bush war with Marxist fighters under ZANU/ZAP until 1980 when Zimbabwe was established. Frederick Selous was indeed a friend of Rhodes but he died in 1917. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

May I suggest a statue of Nelson Mandela in drag ! That should keep most of them happy, for a while at least, easily manipulated as they are ????

Not sure about drag but a few burning tyres around his neck included in the statue would be more appropriate to get across what he stands for.

18 minutes ago, baansgr said:

What did they "have" to go through....they all came voluntarily

...they were offered free passage to the UK and a passport to help us out with labour shortages. True, no one forced them to come but they did so to better their lives in return the helped build the UK post world war two....When they got here they most definitely did 'have' to go through a lot

6 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

They better come up with some better chants than, "go back to africa" "there's only one Lee rigby" and "get your tits out for the lads"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8404751/Police-fear-violence-erupt-London-football-hooligans-hold-counter-protests.html

To be fair, the demo I saw the other day only had one line “Black Lives Matter” being squawked continuously. I was thinking as it was in Southend it may have got more attention  if they had mixed it up with  “Cod in Batter” 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

They better come up with some better chants than, "go back to africa" "there's only one Lee rigby" and "get your tits out for the lads"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8404751/Police-fear-violence-erupt-London-football-hooligans-hold-counter-protests.html

No surprise T(osse)R is rallying his troops. Never one to miss an opportunity. 

Fortunately sounds like the Police are one step ahead of him as always. 

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

To be fair, the demo I saw the other day only had one line “Black Lives Matter” being squawked continuously. I was thinking as it was in Southend it may have got more attention  if they had mixed it up with  “Cod in Batter” 

The Oxford protest was much better, like this.

The people united, will never be defeated. This is what democracy looks like. D D decolonize. People power. No justice, no peace. Take him down.

Those were chants, all the black lives matter chants were dumped.

18 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I suggest you read your own link. It quite clearly states that Rhodesia left the UK via a UDI.

So no I am not wrong about that.

You claimed that is was the White farmers who applied for it , it wasnt them, it was the Political leaders who applied 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

In South East Asia, we leave the statues of colonial governors for the pigeons to perch. 

Good idea that, think Nelson is happy though, up there on high, watching the annoying pigeons down below.  Bet there have been some left wing scrotes eyeing up Horatio for some treatment...???? 

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

No surprise T(osse)R is rallying his troops. Never one to miss an opportunity. 

Fortunately sounds like the Police are one step ahead of him as always. 

He's not intelligent enough to come up with anything original and his lads will get a kicking from the protesters and the police.

21 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Just woken up and had breakfast, cup of coffee next to laptop and I'm ready to hit this debate...

Take them all down, we don't need these people looking down on us anymore. They looked down on the average person when they were alive and still looking down on us in a stature now!

Power to the people, this is what democracy looks like. No peace, No justice. Decolonize, decolonize. Revolution 2020

I think you'll find your 'revolution 2020' will be nothing more than a wet dream in a few weeks, bruver ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Same here, flithy bronze statues with pidgeon poo over them. No one patriotic cared about them until one was taken down, hypocrites. Anyone who is thinking of defending these statures is just looking for a fight against the protesters.

These statues are coming down and no one is going to stop it.

Wow, you all geared up behind your keyboard then...?  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1