Best method to transfer money from UK to Thailand

oporhatch

I have always in the past sent money through a foreign payment through a UK building society to Thailand (old habits die hard !!)  .  But I recently thought I would potentially look at different methods , especially if they can save me some money .

I have had a quick look around the internet and saw a top ten. However I was wondering what method/company all you great people out there (with far more experience than myself) use. 

I did look at Western Union, but that only mentioned transferring money out of Thailand, unless I misread the website.

Any advice would be appreciated.

regards   

I have used TransferWise for a few years now...excellent all round. If you 'pay' before 11am your thb will normally be in your account the same day. 

If you use Bangkok Bank and say reason is for transfer is Long Term Stay ...the bottom reason on the list ...you should definately show FTT ie International Transfer.

Is there not a standard fee with transferwise  ?

UncleP what were your comparisons I would interested , as it looks like its between Transferwise and western union

To be honest I have just given western union a test and I could see no fee and the rate they gave me was .50 less that what was quoted on google .................or will there be other fees I did not see ??

regards 

Just had a quick look, sending £1000 from a UK bank account to a Thai bank account;

WU, recipient gets 39618.64 THB

TW, recipient gets 39580.19 THB

Both cost you exactly £1000.  WU no fees, TW £7 fee deducted (so sends £993)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Just had a quick look, sending £1000 from a UK bank account to a Thai bank account;

WU, recipient gets 39618.64 THB

TW, recipient gets 39580.19 THB

Both cost you exactly £1000.  WU no fees, TW £7 fee deducted (so sends £993)

...and WU transfers are instant, as soon as the recipient has the control number the cash is available.

4 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

...and WU transfers are instant, as soon as the recipient has the control number the cash is available.

WU cash collect transfers (every bargirls favourite) are indeed virtually instant, but the x-rate is worse and there a fee.  In this case they get 38545.72 THB and there's a £3.90 fee, £1003.90 paid.

Thanks for your replies.

I will probably be sending more than £500 and this will go straight into my wife's account.  Therefore from the examples

above it would suggest that WU is my best bet ??

I will have to start checking TW and WU exchange rates 

Thanks for everybodies input 

regards  

2 hours ago, oporhatch said:

Thanks for your replies.

I will probably be sending more than £500 and this will go straight into my wife's account.  Therefore from the examples

above it would suggest that WU is my best bet ??

I will have to start checking TW and WU exchange rates 

Thanks for everybodies input 

regards  

If you use the link you will get the fee to 500 fee free and just pay a little on the excess you are sending

https://transferwise.com/invite/u/juliani

regards