Thailand ranks 47th in world study: How safe do you feel about living in and visiting Thailand?

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

47th place of the safest countries in the world from Covid-19

What the hell sort of study is that.  This is a nation of 70 million people and only 56 deaths.  If you look at the countries with the lowest number of deaths per million they include Uganda, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bhutanm French Polynesia, Namibiam and Laos.  Notice anything.  Countries with hot tropical climates have lower risk.  Also places like Vietnam with a Median Age of only 30 are even better.   I can't think of too many places on earth with a more hot, tropical climate than South East Asia.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

What the hell sort of study is that.  This is a nation of 70 million people and only 56 deaths.  If you look at the countries with the lowest number of deaths per million they include Uganda, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bhutanm French Polynesia, Namibiam and Laos.  Notice anything.  Countries with hot tropical climates have lower risk.  Also places like Vietnam with a Median Age of only 30 are even better.   I can't think of too many places on earth with a more hot, tropical climate than South East Asia.  

Brazil, India, Iran, Pakistan, Mexico, and Saudi Arabia are pretty hot and have a lot of cases. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Brazil, India, Iran, Pakistan, Mexico, and Saudi Arabia are pretty hot and have a lot of cases. 

JCP108..

Brazil is not a hot country not like Vietnam, or Thailand,  Neither is India, Pakistan or Mexico. There are hot times of the year and hotter regions.  With Saudi Arabia they have had 24 deaths.  That ranks them on a death per million as number 73 in the world  Hardly in the same category of Belgium, Spain, Italy, France, or the U.K.  Notice another pattern.  All of these are temperate climates and average median age all above 40 with the highest being Italy at 45.3 Years 

Brazil.JPG

• Thanks 1

This report is done by a Hong Kong based group that puts China in the top 10 of the safest places to be, (a much safer place than Kiwi by 4 places) and Thailand 40 places below--

-......yup I would feel much safer wandering around the Wuhan wet markets this week-end then I would Udon Thani...................:coffee1:

**FYI  they have placed Laos who haven't reported 1 case of Covid19 since April 9th and no deaths ever--as the 2nd worse in the world.

Maybe when we print these sort of ratings we should point out that there just could maybe----just possibly be a little tiny bit of bias.

2 hours ago, MrMo said:

What a pathetically poor and distorted study this report is based upon.

The average deaths per million population world wide is 54 and cases is 960.

How can Switzerland with 224 deaths per million and 3,588 cases be the safest country in the world from Covid-19.

Germany's numbers are 106 and 2,226 respectively.

Thailand's are 0.8 and 45.

I know where I'd rather be and that's right here. 

This report is not about the death rate. More than 100 parameters are used in this research.

The average (not median) age of death from Covid in CH and DE is over 80 years. At this age most Thais are only dust.

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Have you considered that Switzerland has tested more intensely and consequently its results are more accurate.

Anybody who takes the Thai figures literally is utterly delusional.

How about 'anybody who doesn't believe the Thai figures must be insane' while you are doing 'one size fits all?'

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mbaki said:

No country is telling the whole truth.

I think they are, I think the problem is nobody understands the real truth. Anyway, enough is enough, time to start getting back to work, it will be cheaper to put money behind protecting the old and vulnerable then to keep things closed.

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

This report is done by a Hong Kong based group that puts China in the top 10 of the safest places to be, (a much safer place than Kiwi by 4 places) and Thailand 40 places below--

-......yup I would feel much safer wandering around the Wuhan wet markets this week-end then I would Udon Thani...................:coffee1:

**FYI  they have placed Laos who haven't reported 1 case of Covid19 since April 9th and no deaths ever--as the 2nd worse in the world.

Maybe when we print these sort of ratings we should point out that there just could maybe----just possibly be a little tiny bit of bias.

Yeah. Biases and limitations...such as: since this article (below) is only just now being published, the producers of this ranking wouldn't have likely read it...

https://www.news-medical.net/amp/news/20200608/Cremation-numbers-reveal-possible-suppression-of-true-COVID-19-data-in-China.aspx

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Come on now. There is very limited testing here. Therefore those numbers are highly questionable. 

Therefore I think such a low ranking which will be shocking to many is quite fair and realistic. 

If the government was 'adjusting' the numbers it would be to reopen the economy and lure in visitors, and they would have done that by now. But they haven't thrown the doors open so what would be the point? To cut down on international aid to Thailand? 

• Like 1

I feel absolutely safe in Thailand from the virus. The Thail medical system

is exemplary, they can handle anything.  The shutdown has been a bit

draconian but I understand the government want to have control over

all the elements.  Time to let that go now - Thailand has proven is can

handle a pandemic without panic, Thai people have done extremely well

with that.

13 minutes ago, Madeline Thompson said:

I feel absolutely safe in Thailand from the virus. The Thail medical system

is exemplary, they can handle anything.  The shutdown has been a bit

draconian but I understand the government want to have control over

all the elements.  Time to let that go now - Thailand has proven is can

handle a pandemic without panic, Thai people have done extremely well

with that.

The Thai medical system is not exemplary, it is good IF you have deep pockets, dreadful if you haven't. I won't tell the whole story here as I have done so on another post but my friend fell ill, it was cheaper and better for his family to pay for a Nurse to fly to Thailand and accompany him back to Australia where he got better care then pay the insane charges in Thailand.

4 hours ago, Mac98 said:

If the government was 'adjusting' the numbers it would be to reopen the economy and lure in visitors, and they would have done that by now. But they haven't thrown the doors open so what would be the point? To cut down on international aid to Thailand? 

I didn't say it was a conspiracy either way. 

17 hours ago, SkyFax said:

And just to note, on the Forbes list of The 100 Safest Countries In The World For COVID-19, PR China is ranked #7.

New Zealand has no active cases an no new cases for 20 days now. 20 deaths, so why are we ranked 9th. Switzerland ranked number 1 and they     now admit to making a big mistake over not locking down, the virus went through their old people’s homes killing 33 percent of their dead. They have high infection and the virus is still active there so the poll is a crock 

16 hours ago, shortstop said:

But Thailand may have done too good a job in stopping the spread therefore no herd immunity and susceptible to an outbreak if/when borders are reopened.  

This is applicable to all the countries that have suppressed it. Herd immunity is still a long way off and so the threat remains. 

21 hours ago, mr mr said:

total fake news.

thailand has had a mere 58 or so deaths from the wuwu. by those numbers alone thailand is surely the best ? no ? 

When the roads get back to normal Thailand manages to kill that many easily every day ... 

Maybe PM will have a national emergency decree and have a conversation with the transport/roads minister?

I feel lucky to be in Thailand rather than my home country at this time and accept the need to follow precautions as the Thai government stipulates. However, the recent anti-foreigner restrictions on bus travel and entry to other places I find unnecessary and xenophobic. I have never felt unwelcome in my 50 years or so of visiting and living in Thailand until now. 

• Like 1

Having been in Thailand since January 1st, I feel relatively safe here; but, just not very welcomed!  I just heard on the news last evening that Farangs without a Thai National ID are not allowed to ride on the public Buses or Trains in Thailand!  Now I know how black folks in America felt during the 1950's & 60's; but at least they could ride in the back of the bus...we can't even get on the bus!  Is this anyway to treat a guest in your country, & to restore foreign tourism???  Shame on you Thailand!!!

• Like 1

Feel safer  living in Thailand for the "what u lookin at" scenarios" of the UK.

I've never  felt unsafe  here.

No denying there are  many faults with Thailand but haven't  found personal  safety one  of those .

The  roads  of course , and  dangerous obstacles everywhere, are another  matter.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:28 AM, Jingthing said:

Come on now. There is very limited testing here. Therefore those numbers are highly questionable. 

Testing doesn't CAUSE deaths or increase the number of infections, it only shows the hotspots and total number at any given point in time.

49 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Testing doesn't CAUSE deaths or increase the number of infections, it only shows the hotspots and total number at any given point in time.

I never said testing caused deaths (except in the cases where the testers are infected by the tested which can lead to death).

Testing can also be done to gage the levels of the previously infected via antibody testing. 

No country is testing all their population and certainly not all at once so that would be the only way of knowing the total number of current cases. 

Of course that wouldn't be realistic but it would be realistic for Thailand to do a heck of a lot more testing than they have. 

They have consciously decided not to do that. At least part of the reason for that is obviously the cost. 

Edited by Jingthing