Officials Say Temples Can Deny Entry To Foreigners, Because Virus

anchadian

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2020/06/11/officials-say-temples-can-deny-entry-to-foreigners-because-virus/

BANGKOK — A popular temple in Bangkok shut its doors to foreigners, including expats who have been residing in Thailand for years, citing anti-coronavirus precaution.

“ONLY THAI PEOPLE, NOW NOT OPEN FOR FOREIGNERS,” announced a  sign in front of Wat Pho, known internationally as the Temple of the Reclining Buddha. The temple reopened on June 5 yet reserved entry to Thai nationals only, a gesture criticized as racial discrimination.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, tribalfusion001 said:

So from today the Tower of London says no foreigners allowed only UK citizens, would be that xenopobic and racist to foreigners?

oh it would be indeed, as is the closure of wat po, 

but if you are trying to bring it to the level of what is happening in the US and why, you need a serious readjustment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Farang Lives Matter

Its time we get all the geriatric expats together for some rioting.......Those zimmer frames can cause some real damage......

Watch out you will upset a couple of our members using FLM. They only accept the use of BLM

24 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Xenophobic and racist 100% in a country of zero new infections locally. And yet people criticize what is going on in the UK and USA with racism.

I don't know of anyone in the UK being refused entry anywhere because they are a Foreigner...maybe BLM should read this and see what racism really is.....as for the temples decision, I would think they are genuinely concerned so just did a blanket ban that will be lifted at a later date.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Fine by me been there done that - let the Thai people enjoy  - much prefer a bit of chanting at the local temple with family and friends

I prefer the Coyote girls, when they come of course. Usually Songkran for boom and booze.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

It's still xenophobia and racism on the rise due to the lockdowns and virus. That it my point, the world is getting nasty and insecure.

Perhaps your point would have been more clear had yout stated it rather than drawing a spurious parallel.

Be careful. 

Talk about pulling down statues here of individuals who may have had indentured servants will land you in very hot water. 

I think at least the tourism bureau has to step in and address this issue. Saying that the temple can do what it wants just adds insult to injury. 

Edited by Trujillo
grammar

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Farang Lives Matter

Its time we get all the geriatric expats together for some rioting.......Those zimmer frames can cause some real damage......

Excellent for hanging placards as well.

17 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I am only offended by how stupid the gesture to block the dirty FARANG is. In fact all recent Covid cases have been THAI nationals returning from overseas. Everyone already here has been living here for months and even if we had the virus it's long since ran it's course. More theater and childish antics that do nothing to stem the spread of infection. If the stats are to be believed there is little to no risk now anyway.

The thing is it isnt malicious or logical, its ignorant, and if I got angry over ignorant I would be angry all the time.

I cant be arsed.

I also spend very little energy being offended, as it seems rather an entitled term used with far to much frequency.

• Like 2

"The historic temple wasn’t alone in maintaining a no-foreigner policy amid the coronavirus pandemic. Buses operated by The Transport Co., which resumed their inter-provincial services, also announced that they would not allow foreigners to board."....

This is very scary indeed. What if BTS, MRT, Local buses, taxis etc. start following the same practice?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

So from today the Tower of London says no foreigners allowed only UK citizens, would be that xenopobic and racist to foreigners?

It would be xenophobic and nationalist (which is the character of the Thai decree).

But it would not be racist.

Because many of those excluded would be of the dominant race in the UK (Caucasian) and many of those allowed would be of different races to the UK dominant race. ie They would be Negroid (UK Afro-Caribbean) and Mongoloid (UK Asian and SE Asian).

The Thai ban includes those of its own race.....Mongoloid.

The term "racist" is bandied around far too often, and ignorantly, on TVF. 

I will restrain myself from commenting upon the prevalence of ignorance on TVF.

PS Those three "traditional" race definitions beginning to look rather shaky the more we really look at people and investigate and understand about "origins".

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2