Troublesome russian landlord

Ill make this as short as possible.  I signed 3 month contract from 9 april to 9 july. Rent 5k per month and deposit 7k.

Paid total 12k in april another 5k in may... Now june rent of 5k is 3 day overdue,  ive run out of money, ive texted landlord to tell him this and told him to keep 7k deposit and that he can come inspect condo anytime giving us 24 hr notice. 

Condo is kept good by myself and my thai partner.  I am stuck here and funds are low, i do nor trust this landlord to give us back deposit once we leave. 

Last night i was away but partner in alone, she pregnant, he come and bang door she didnt answer as she was scared, tgen he turned water off, now we fear he will stop electeic. 

Surely he should be happy to keep 7k deposit. We will leave even before 9 july when contract expire. 

We had words with this guy before as we notice someone been in the condo when we were out. 

I do not trust this man, he says he is legal so what can i ask him for, work permit? 

Can he throw us out before 9 july, if we refuse  what can he do.... We feel intimidated threatening behavior last night also banging door and stopping water. 

I will not be intimidated by this guy. 

So what option is open. 

Why is he unhappy not to keep deposit? 

Thanks in advance

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

A rent is a rent and a deposit is a deposit. I understand your fear that you might not get back your deposit. I would have the same feeling. And when you leave there might be not much time left to fight with this guy if you move further away. But you still have to pay the rent for the last month. It is a bad situation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

If your girl didnt answer the door maybe he thought you had vacated the room and turned water off as a precaution

You say he had entered the room before..........wonder why he did not use his key on this occasion

Also if you are low on funds its time to leave.......

I agree that the points you raise are relevant.

Maybe the OP can clarify, and update.

Renting from a Russian in Thailand?? Never heard of such a thing. I can't think of anyone I have ever known renting from someone who is not Thai.

Pay up and get out, move on. Sounds like a prolonged troublesome situation if you don't get out now.

• Like 1

I would try to talk to him again and I would read the contract before of that. But If you don't trust your Landlord and he don't trust you it's maybe time to leave to avoid trouble. But give it a try if you can see a chance. But don't forget it's his condo and you made a contract, he set the rules.

The only problem I see it's where you can find a cheaper place to live for two persons. Maybe you will find one for 3K without a deposit? Yes it's hard for many people at the moment and the truth is that this crisis will hit people who are already low on money more then others. 

I wish you both all the best and hope you will find a way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 11:30 AM, Peter Denis said:

Contact the Tourist Police, and explain your worries.

Also him shutting off electricity/water is of course illegal.

When they have had a word with him, he will for sure sing a different tune.  Especially if it turns out that he has no Work Permit to rent out condos.

it is illegal to cut off access to the house/condo... for the meters, if in his name, he can close, no doubt

The Deposit is NOT the last month,s rent in advance ! He is quite entitled to throw you out as soon as you were delinquent with the rent. He obviously has experience in this area. Sounds to me like you should never have left your native country, or back to a "nomadic" system.

• Like 2

Oh the joys, the joys, of being a landlord! The OP has just reminded me of the reasons I am no longer one.  From past experience, the OP is a chancer, hoping that the landlord will acquiesce to receiving the deposit in lieu of the last month's contractual rent due.  How can the OP possibly know that the landlord won't refund the deposit, has he got a crystal ball? I think he is trying to justify a pretty tenuous case to be honest.  The landlord should not have cut the electricity but he is also trying to protect his own interests, just as the OP is doing.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 10:45 AM, nomad2019 said:

Ill make this as short as possible.  I signed 3 month contract from 9 april to 9 july. Rent 5k per month and deposit 7k.

Surely he should be happy to keep 7k deposit. We will leave even before 9 july when contract expire. 

You signed a contract with him, for a reason, and now you think that it is ok for you to break that contract while it's not ok for him to agree to your breach?  Wow.    Surely you should be happy to keep to the contract that you signed?

• Like 1