Need advice, Is it possible to avoid border run because of current Covid 19 restrictions?

Need your help on my situation and my thanks in advance. I've lived in Thailand for 3 years and just graduated from a Thai college, so have just had my EDU visa cancelled. However, because of border closures, I'm unable to exit the country and return so I can process a non-B visa and work permit from my new employers. The crazy thing is this, even though i haven't left Thailand in my 3 years, when the borders reopen I'm expected to go through the very expensive process of acquiring health insurance from abroad, 14 day quarantine at my own expense plus other expenses. Wouldn't it be just typical if I contracted Covid 19 sitting in one of those vans which transport you to the border !  Surely there is arrangements for foreigners already here in Thailand for avoiding this process?  My health is at risk and it concerns me. Again, many thanks in advance.

You can stay until July 31st under the amnesty. On or before that day you would need to leave.

You could ask immigration about applying for a extension based upon working with non-ed visa you had. The could be applying for a work permit to do it though with a non-ed visa entry.

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I will have a wager on that if you wish....

If you wish to bet that Thailand will allow unrestricted entry of foreigners into Thailand by the end of July, thus igniting Covid-19 within the country, tell me how much you want to bet. I am on. If, however, you believe that restricted entry to foreigners with quarantine requirements will be possible by late July, that is very possible. However, that is not what most people are looking for.

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you wish to bet that Thailand will allow unrestricted entry of foreigners into Thailand by the end of July, thus igniting Covid-19 within the country, tell me how much you want to bet. I am on. If, however, you believe that restricted entry to foreigners with quarantine requirements will be possible by late July, that is very possible. However, that is not what most people are looking for.

You said it was "unlikely" that the borders would be open by the end of July.

I am saying that they will be..... simple as that. You not open , me open.

Did you now want to qualify your original post? ????

• Confused 2

Thanks for all your replies. Just to clarify, I'm in Thailand now with NO visa stamp which is fine because of the amnesty till 31 July. The advice to call immigration is perhaps the best approach !

Thanks again !

• Like 1

There is a Pot of Gold waiting for the first country in this region, with low overhead costs, which opens-up to foreigners w/o insane restrictions.  Test on entry + test a week later (if you stay that long) is enough.   We will see who takes it first.

• Like 2

Haha Jack, so very true!

My big concern is contracting covid 19 during the course of the border run, be it in the van or wherever!

I haven't left Thai borders for 3 years and don't see why I can't just do an internal test for covid 19 and avoid risking my health doing a border run.

3 minutes ago, mwb355 said:

Haha Jack, so very true!

My big concern is contracting covid 19 during the course of the border run, be it in the van or wherever!

I haven't left Thai borders for 3 years and don't see why I can't just do an internal test for covid 19 and avoid risking my health doing a border run.

I will also be doing a Visa-run as soon as the borders open.  It would be ironic to catch the bug doing this.  But my concern would be testing-positive and being quarantined - given my age and health-status make it very unlikely I would get "sick" from it. 

I wonder how many of us - especially in Bangkok and other population centers - caught it in the acutal first-wage in February, during Chinese New Year when Wuhan folks were streaming in, and never even knew?

2 hours ago, Haveasay said:

As above call immigration for advice but no covid in Thailand bar quarantine. Restrictions are easing and by end of July borders will open

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Unlikely.

Agreed with Britmantoo. Just saw on the news today, ThaiAirways planning NOT to fly till end of August. I think they will let everyone stay in thailand till end of August.

Although it doesnt mean they will not open bars and so on. They are planning to let drink at the restaurants again very soon.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mwb355 said:

1, why would you need to go in a van?  Is that because you would want to go through an agency?

2, are you saying you can get to the border, do a quick out and in, then only do the quarantine in Thailand?  What about crossing into the other country?  They won't have restrictions?  And what visa will you enter on?

3, what visa do you see yourself returning to Thailand on?

The way I perceive things happening, with Thailand and neighboring countries being incredibly restrictive in what visas they issue and the requirements to enter, we might need to have insurance, test, certificate, fourteen days quarantine, to get into say Laos, ten days plus to get documents for getting back into Thailand, then insurance, test, certificate, fourteen days quarantine upon return.

If you know different, I would love to know the details.

35 minutes ago, mwb355 said:

Sadly, you aren't the only one scratching their head as to why immigration cannot make a temporary exception to the needing 15 days left on your current visa rule and just go from emergency extension to new work visa.  My situation is that if they allowed this I could probably start work soon and stay here happily, while if they don't I have no idea if or when I will be able to sort things out nor what I should do in the meantime, and may have to go back home and stay with my parents until things open up more and then spend a load more money starting again, possibly not in Thailand.

It's such a huge difference based on such a tiny detail.  We're here, we have the qualifications and a job, but no 15 days on the visa means life inexplicably altered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You said it was "unlikely" that the borders would be open by the end of July.

I am saying that they will be..... simple as that. You not open , me open.

Did you now want to qualify your original post? ????

If you do not want any kind of qualification then, well, the borders are open right now. If you are seriously ill, medical evacuation through the border to reach a hospital in Thailand is permitted with prior authorisation. However, what is of interest to most people is whether they can travel freely across the border (as was possible prior to the Covid-19 pandemic) without quarantine or other onerous requirements. I am saying that free movement across the border in the way we were familiar with in the past will definitely not be possible in July.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

If you do not want any kind of qualification then, well, the borders are open right now. If you are seriously ill, medical evacuation through the border to reach a hospital in Thailand is permitted with prior authorisation. However, what is of interest to most people is whether they can travel freely across the border (as was possible prior to the Covid-19 pandemic) without quarantine or other onerous requirements. I am saying that free movement across the border in the way we were familiar with in the past will definitely not be possible in July.

Agreed. I think health certificate and some other docs will be needed. Also it seems 14 day quarantine seems for sure. And cambodia is asking for 3000$ deposit + many other payments for test and so on.

My current extension of stay. Non OA expires in early Aug. I want to exit and return Visa Exempt.

From what I can find, it looks like there is no easy way to go out and come back.

Draconian measures in any country I want to cross into and the same upon return to Thailand.

Thank you China.

One agent is offering to get me an extension on my current Non OA. No insurance and no money in the bank for 25,000 baht. 

I could do the LMG insurance but that stinks too.

What a F....ed up world this has become.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

My current extension of stay. Non OA expires in early Aug. I want to exit and return Visa Exempt.

From what I can find, it looks like there is no easy way to go out and come back.

Draconian measures in any country I want to cross into and the same upon return to Thailand.

Thank you China.

One agent is offering to get me an extension on my current Non OA. No insurance and no money in the bank for 25,000 baht. 

I could do the LMG insurance but that stinks too.

What a F....ed up world this has become.

The LMG insurance stinks for sure but 6,000 - 11,400 baht ( depending on age ) is a lot less than 25,000.

Am in the same boat and will probably bite the bullet and pay for extortion....ahem... I mean insurance !!