can rinsing your mouth with mouthwash containing alcohol help in not spreading covid-19

marvin1950

It is more likely that you will get some benefit by flushing your nose out frequently with salt water. 

I do know, because it says so on the instructions, that some mouth washes should not be used until thirty minutes after brushing teeth, if you use a toothpaste.

Edited by PFMills

26 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Alcohol seems to help kill virus germs, so if I rinse my mouth with mouthwash containing alcohol after I brush my teeth, will that help in not spreading or catching the covid-19 virus?

Is the virus not present in the entire respiratory tract, from the nose and mouth down to the lungs?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Alcohol seems to help kill virus germs, so if I rinse my mouth with mouthwash containing alcohol after I brush my teeth, will that help in not spreading or catching the covid-19 virus?

No.

From the horses (mouthwashed) mouth...

Listerine, for example, has not been tested against any strains of coronavirus.   Only some mouthwash formulations contain alcohol, and, if present, is only around 20% alcohol.

Listerine Antiseptic is a daily mouthwash which only has been proven to kill 99.9% of germs that cause bad breath, plaque and gingivitis.  Listerine mouthwash has not been tested against the coronavirus and is not intended to prevent or treat COVID-19.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

17 minutes ago, PFMills said:

I do know, because it says so on the instructions, that some mouth washes should not be used until thirty minutes after brushing teeth, if you use a toothpaste.

That's because the flouride takes 30 minutes to have it's full effect in strengthening enamel, you mouthwash, you wash it away. Personally, I mouthwash, then brush my teeth. Not that it makes much difference, my mouth is a disaster area, thanks to UK bad dentistry and the encouraged propensity for sweets and anything sugary promoted in my youth. Still, I've got one or two left, intend to keep them as long as possible. Pure vanity actually. Gum recession I don't want. 

If the mouth is washed with a solution with a sufficiently high alcohol concentration to kill the virus present in the mouth at that moment, how long will the alcohol concentration in the oral cavity remain sufficiently high to kill the virus in the air passing through the mouth after the mouth wash?

If one used mouthwash at the recommended alcohol concentration to kill coronavirus of 70% , COVID-19 might be a lesser worry, as their chances of developing mouth cancer would increase significantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Didn't you ever read how Corona is transmitted? ???? You almost sound like Donald T. 

SARS-CoV-2 is primarily contracted by inhaling the air exhaled by an infected person, isn't it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaistuff said:

Iodine is much more effective and has been tested against coronaviruses in past?

Are you saying that iodine was used effectively as a mouth wash against coronavirus in the past?

There are no studies about this,  obviously. So nobody knows.

The people most interested in this subject are the dentists and yes,  some do give their patients an antiseptic mouthwash before treatment, have the patient rinse their mouth for a minute.  Not alcohol,  though,  you wouldn't want to use the required concentration of 70% in your mouth.

But it's really just guessing.