WHO's Kluge warns against further lifting of lockdown in England: Guardian

webfact

WHO's Kluge warns against further lifting of lockdown in England: Guardian

2020-06-14T201618Z_2_LYNXMPEG5D0LD_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-DENMARK.JPG

FILE PHOTO: WHO European director Hans Kluge gives status on the Danish handling of coronavirus during a press breefing in Eigtveds Pakhus, Copenhagen, Denmark March 27, 2020. Ida Guldbaek Arentsen/ Ritzau Scanpix/via REUTERS

(Reuters) - The coronavirus induced lockdown in England should not be further lifted until the government's contact-tracing system proves to be "robust and effective", the World Health Organization's regional European director Hans Kluge said.

In an interview https://bit.ly/2MYn0hK with the Guardian newspaper, Kluge also cautioned that Britain remained in a "very active phase of the pandemic" and warned against rushing into reopening the economy.

Britain said on Sunday it was reviewing its two-metre (6.5-foot) social distancing rule ahead of the next stage of lockdown easing planned for July 4.

England's test and trace system identified nearly 32,000 people who had been in close contact with someone who had tested positive for COVID-19 in its first week of operation, but the government admitted that the system is not perfect and would need to do better.

"Contact tracing is key especially as the UK starts to relax the social and physical distancing measures. There has to be a robust track-and-trace system in place of operation," Kluge told the Guardian.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government, which has faced heavy criticism for its handling of the pandemic, has touted the system as the way to ease lockdown measures while keeping the coronavirus spread in check.

Britain has reported 41,698 coronavirus-related deaths as of 1600 GMT on June 13, third highest in the world after the United States and Brazil, according to government data.

(Reporting by Bhargav Acharya in Bengaluru; Editing by Gareth Jones and Bill Berkrot)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-15

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

WHO's Kluge

had to look twice at that headline 

I thought initially the story was about finding one of those massive fatbergs in a sewer somewhere - probably not far from the truth actually

3 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

,Ridiculous 

Any warning should at least be considered but with a government full of hardline Brexiteers, egged on by the right wing press I very much doubt that any such warning will be adhered to. Especially with Mr Cummings in charge.

Ridiculous

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Any warning should at least be considered but with a government full of hardline Brexiteers, egged on by the right wing press I very much doubt that any such warning will be adhered to. Especially with Mr Cummings in charge.

B*st*eds even got elected too - is there no end to their duplicity!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Conspiracy theory nonsense.

Typical "sheeple" response! ???? 

Share your wealth of wisdom & deep insight and explain how this is a "conspiracy theory"?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

Carry on England, the risk is minimal get the economy moving

EU is insisting as I understand UK contributes to the covid fund!!

So lets make use of the 'safety net' and push forward

I guess wouldn't look too good on the EU if the UK, who have been touted as heading for financial disaster by exiting Europe, got out of the blocks first rather than having to bow to EU 'group caution'

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, misterjames said:

Have you been under a rock since January?

I challenge you to make a compelling argument to back up your ignorant dismissal of the facts. 

Try addressing each of the points I made above (all of which are facts by the way) I'll bet you can't!

Present some facts and I will.

There was no deliberate attempt to spread covid-19, to say there was is absolute nonsense.

17 minutes ago, CGW said:

Typical "sheeple" response! ???? 

Share your wealth of wisdom & deep insight and explain how this is a "conspiracy theory"?

China deliberately spread covid-19? 

That is absolute <deleted>.

Oh, and less use of the "i'm so superior' arrogant sheeple BS" is appreciated.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Present some facts and I will.

There was no deliberate attempt to spread covid-19, to say there was is absolute nonsense.

Read the post above prove any facts I mentioned are false.

I directly asked you questions and you decided to ignore them because I suspect you have no answer for them.

Answer me this then why would China and the CCP actively campaign to the WHO to keep airports open then allow half a million people to fly out of Wuhan knowing they were delivering a deadly highly contagious disease to the rest of the world (whilst closing domestic travel) 

Edited by misterjames
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, misterjames said:

Read the post above prove any facts I mentioned are false.

I directly asked you questions and you decided to ignore them because I suspect you have no answer for them.

You have presented no facts to back up your conspiracy theory nonsense that China spread Covid-19 deliberately. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:

You have presented no facts to back up your conspiracy theory nonsense that China spread Covid-19 deliberately. 

It is a fact that China campaigned to the WHO to keep airports open letting people from Wuhan fly internationally but not domestically.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/blogs/Whathappensif/how-china-locked-down-internally-for-covid-19-but-pushed-foreign-travel/

Own it or you are a troll!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, misterjames said:

It is a fact that China campaigned to the WHO to keep airports open letting people from Wuhan fly internationally but not domestically.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/blogs/Whathappensif/how-china-locked-down-internally-for-covid-19-but-pushed-foreign-travel/

Own it or you are a troll!

You said they did it to undermine western economies.

That is conspiracy theory nonsense. 

• Like 1