Trump signs order on police reform after weeks of protests about racial injustice

webfact

Trump signs order on police reform after weeks of protests about racial injustice

By Jeff Mason

2020-06-16T223232Z_1_LYNXMPEG5F22A_RTROPTP_4_MINNEAPOLIS-POLICE-USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump is applauded by law enforcement leaders surrounding him as he holds up an executive order on police reform after signing it during an event in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, U.S., June 16, 2020. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump, facing criticism that his policies and inflammatory rhetoric have aggravated a racial divide in the United States, signed an order on Tuesday that he said would reform police practices even as he pressed for "law and order" nationwide.

After weeks of protests against racism and policy brutality prompted by the death of George Floyd, a black man killed on May 25 in police custody in Minneapolis, Trump sought to offer a policy response to rising concerns about racial injustice going into the Nov. 3 election, in which he is seeking a second term.

Trump, a Republican, opened his remarks by expressing sympathy to the families of victims of police violence, pledging to fight for justice and promising them their loved ones will not have died in vain. But he quickly pivoted to a defense of law enforcement officers and a threat of penalties to looters.

"Americans want law and order, they demand law and order," Trump said at a ceremony at the White House, reiterating a call that has angered protesters who have poured onto streets from New York to Los Angeles.

President Donald Trump, facing criticism that his policies and inflammatory rhetoric have aggravated a racial divide in the United States, signed an order on Tuesday aimed at improving police practices and said that "Americans want law and order." This report produced by Lisa Bernhard.

"Americans know the truth: Without police there is chaos, without law there is anarchy, and without safety there is catastrophe," he said.

In his public comments and on Twitter, Trump has called for crackdowns on protesters and emphasized a forceful and militarized response to the social unrest sparked by the death of Floyd and others. Despite issuing a call for unity, he used his Rose Garden address on Tuesday to criticize former President Barack Obama, the first black U.S. president, for his record on police reforms. Opinion polls show widespread concerns among Americans about police brutality.

Tuesday's order encourages police departments to employ the latest standards for use of force, improve information sharing so that officers with poor records are not hired without their backgrounds being known, and add social workers to law enforcement responses to non-violent cases involving drug addiction and homelessness, officials said.

Trump's proposal would steer federal money toward police departments that get certification by outside bodies and would ban chokeholds unless an officer's life was in danger. It also would encourage them to use less-lethal weapons such as stun guns.

Civil-rights groups and top Democrats, including former Vice President Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said the order was insufficient.

Trump reiterated that he opposes calls to "defund the police" by reimagining or dismantling police departments. Leading Democrats, including Biden, have not embraced such calls, but Republicans have jumped on the issue.

The Democratic-led House of Representatives is expected to vote later this month on sweeping legislation put forward by the Congressional Black Caucus to rein in police misconduct.

Senate Republicans are expected to unveil their own legislation on Wednesday that concentrates more on data collection than on policy changes in areas involving lethal force. Trump urged Congress to act.

Democrats want to allow victims of misconduct and their families to sue police. Republicans are pushing to reduce job protections for members of law enforcement unions.

Trump's decision to ban chokeholds appears similar to the ban included in the Democratic legislation.

Republican lawmakers are divided on that issue.

Inimai Chettiar of the Justice Action Network said the use of grant money to influence police department policies could be an effective way to get results, but she noted that Trump's Justice Department has resisted other reform efforts.

"I have a lot of skepticism in terms of how rigorously this is going to be implemented," she said. Other civil-rights groups said Trump's order did not go far enough.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; additional reporting by Doina Chiacu, David Morgan and Sarah N. Lynch; Editing by Andy Sullivan, Sonya Hepinstall, Cynthia Osterman and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-17

7 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

And Obama did what exactly to prevent it in his 8 years?

Trump is the president. I dont recall such so much rioting and such under obama.

So what has trump done to heal the divide. Surely not just this weak executive order.

Not a face mask in sight. Going against their own advice.

Edited by Sujo
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, keith101 said:

He has been in office for nearly 4 years and has the nerve as usual to blame Obama for his own ignorance and racism .

Are you aware that Obama did the same with Bush. I'm not saying one is right or better than the other, all I'm saying is that they have both done it and they both did it for many years while in office. I think this is good to know that this is an ongoing problem with leadership and not something to single one president out for doing

1 minute ago, curlylekan said:

Are you aware that Obama did the same with Bush. I'm not saying one is right or better than the other, all I'm saying is that they have both done it and they both did it for many years while in office. I think this is good to know that this is an ongoing problem with leadership and not something to single one president out for doing

Can you back that claim? I never noticed Obama talking trash about Bush, Obama generally had more class than that. The current guy? I flush stuff down the toilet with more class than him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Get your facts straight if you are going to pontificate here

The militarization of the US police was started after the first Gulf War under the first Bush with the release of surplus equipment, long before President Obama was in office 

But common knowledge isn't isn't so common for fan boys  

It was brought into law in '97 under Clinton. This is stated in the article that the poster you're quoted placed for reference.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Apart from Trump who has rolled back previous police reforms by previous presidents. You can single out some Presidents for not doing much; Trump has actually made it worse.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-says-obama-didn-t-reform-policing-he-did-then-n1231200

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-falsely-claims-obama-never-even-tried-to-reform-police-2020-6

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

I mean can none of you guys use Google or does your skin start burning when faced with facts? You know like holy water on a vampire.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-says-obama-didn-t-reform-policing-he-did-then-n1231200

Something from a non partisan source perhaps?  Not even going to bother reading  a link from a media arm of the Dems.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

Trump is the president. I dont recall such so much rioting and such under obama.

So what has trump done to heal the divide. Surely not just this weak executive order.

Not a face mask in sight. Going against their own advice.

Question was what did Obama do in his 8 years.  As for the rioting, that is the jurisdiction of various counties, and the responsibility of the elected officials.  24 of the 25 cities where there have been violent riots (Miami being the exception) have mayors from the Dems.  Such a violent and hateful lot they are.  No idea why that element continually impedes real progress.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Question was what did Obama do in his 8 years.  As for the rioting, that is the jurisdiction of various counties, and the responsibility of the elected officials.  24 of the 25 cities where there have been violent riots (Miami being the exception) have mayors from the Dems.  Such a violent and hateful lot they are.  No idea why that element continually impedes real progress.

The alternative question is ask why did  Obama not be presented with such urgent  cause to do anything?

Which leads to the question of who is  behind the  rioters and looters who are being  mobilized into the Dem locations which have permitted the exercise of  the right to peaceful protest but are being hijacked in some media perceptions ?

IMO the combination of  Covid-19  and Trump has opened the sore wounds it has  for far too long hidden under the greenback bandages !

Societal Sepsis has set  in.

18 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Well yes,  it's common knowledge that Barack Obama militarized the police. Even HuffPo complained about it:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-police-militarization_n_3566478

Or would you be OK with Trump continuing to militarize the police the way Obama did for several years? Yes? No?

It started with Reagan  ????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Apart from Trump who has rolled back previous police reforms by previous presidents. You can single out some Presidents for not doing much; Trump has actually made it worse.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-falsely-claims-obama-never-even-tried-to-reform-police-2020-6

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

I guess we're supposed to forget Obama militarized the police. Nice try.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, J Town said:

Can you back that claim? I never noticed Obama talking trash about Bush, Obama generally had more class than that. The current guy? I flush stuff down the toilet with more class than him.

Very easy. Do a Google search: "Obama blames Bush. Yes, you'd think Obama has a lot more class, but here it is not the case. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/obama/articles/2010/02/09/obama-wont-abandon-blame-bush-strategy

If you turned on the TV or radio during Obama's presidency and he was speaking, you could be almost guaranteed he'd blame Bush