Sending Passport Overseas

i hope someone can enlighten me on this . in august i will travel to Iceland for my annual working stint (10 weeks). previously i have just returned and been granted 30 day stay. i was wondering if it would be legal to send my passport from iceland to the thai consulate in hull ,u.k. for multiple entry tourist visa.? i am uk citizen ,and there is no thai embassy in iceland . can anyone give me any insight on this ? has anybody done this succesfully ?? many thanks for any help..

i stand corrected !! last year while in iceland was told by a friend (icelandic )that there was no representation in iceland ,and being such a small country ,beleived him !! the beers will be on him when i get over there this year . thanks for your help lopburi !!

Two nice replies. I did like lupburi's answer, quick, within 10 min., bare essentials and not even an emoticon.

Possom, pls. come back and tell us your experiene in Reykjavik. Could be, at least for some people, an alternative to Penang etc. Who knows what happens in the future to Hull.

One more point, it would be illegal to send your p/port to a Thai mission abroad while stying in Thailand and the such received visa could be treated as obtained illegally.

I see, however, no problem, to send a p/port from an area or country by mail to another country. The Thai authorities would not bother about this. But you have gotten problems, needing your passport while it is in the mail.

This is one reason, why I always get 2 passports, one I carry with me while in Thailand, the other one for use outside, incl. mailing, where accepted by the foreign mission.

axel, the reason i asked was because i would not require my passport in iceland. passport is photocopied by employer and copies given to local police as the proof of eligibility to work ,then it is locked in the safe of my employer for the remainder of my contract (for safe keeping ) i dont think the consulate in reykjavik would be overly busy with visa applications, so PERHAPS it will be a good option for me . will certainly try !!

fj2003, i am a slaughterman (sheep), jobs are available for skilled people , and unskilled people ,although i wouldnt reccomend doing it unless you are skilled (low wages ,hard work ) as with everything you need skill to make decent money .. pm me if you are interested

some people would probably think of any manual work as slavery astral. yes its physically hard work ,but i have never had a better employer , hotel accomodation and free meals ,heavily subsidised transport,pension scheme,excellent overtime rates, and good working conditions. 100 times better than slughterhouses in new zealand ,where i previously worked .employer keeps passport for safekeeping only ,you can keep it in your pocket if you wish!!. and the best bit of all --- a 10 week working year !!!! :o

some people would probably think of any manual work as slavery astral. yes its physically hard work ,but i have never had a better employer , hotel accomodation and free meals ,heavily subsidised transport,pension scheme,excellent overtime rates, and good working conditions. 100 times better than slughterhouses in new zealand ,where i previously worked .employer keeps passport for safekeeping only ,you can keep it in your pocket if you wish!!. and the best bit of all --- a 10 week working year !!!! :o

:)Sounds like really great work to me.

I am a former fisherman from norway, so i know what physically work is.

If you guy's don't wanna try the sheep buiseness, well, come to norway and try out the fishing bizz.

It's hard work, might be up to 3 months at a time, but you then will get 6 weeks off.

And for those that these jobs might sounds like slavery.....find you'rself a man, and be a housewife :D