Some business travel to Thailand may resume next month, official says

snoop1130

Some business travel to Thailand may resume next month, official says

By Panarat Thepgumpanat

2020-06-18T093911Z_1_LYNXMPEG5H0XW_RTROPTP_4_THAI-AIRWAYS-RESCUE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Thai Airways airplanes park at the tarmac of the Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok, as Thailand will temporarily ban all passenger flights from landing in the country to curb the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Thailand, April 4, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand could allow inbound international travel to resume next month for business purposes, the aviation regulator said on Thursday, as the country seeks to revive an economy hit badly by the impacts of the coronavirus and global travel curbs.

Thailand's tourism industry, which accounts for 12% of the economy, has ground to a halt from travel bans and health concerns, and projects as few as 14 million visitors this year, down from nearly 40 million in 2019.

"In July, we may open for some groups, but it will not be 100%," director-general of the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT), Chula Sukmanop, told Reuters.

A flight ban for all but repatriation flights is due to expire at the end of this month, but the extent to which the country can reopen depends on the government's Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration, Chula said.

Thailand, which has recorded 3,141 cases of the coronavirus and 58 deaths, suspended international flights in April.

Chula said specific groups may be allowed to visit, such as business delegations, but it was possible they may need to do quarantine upon arrival.

Thailand has eased many restrictions and recorded no new local transmissions for 24 days. All recent cases, including six reported on Tuesday, have been found in quarantine among Thais returning from abroad.

Details for travel requirements are still being discussed, such as entry certificates and other conditions before departure and upon arrival, he added.

Thailand has been planning to reopen to foreign visitors by creating so-called travel bubbles with countries that have also contained the virus, though no target date was set.

On Wednesday, Airports of Thailand Pcl <AOT.BK> said it expects travel to return to normal levels in October 2022.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-18

Business delegations first !

What about all of us that have been trapped here since May

What is this Hotel California ?:

Last thing I remember
I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax", said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Unbelievable to see this same old news every single day – only with a slightly different headline. Could the officials even try to give some clarity to what this all even means. It doesn't matter if it's July, September or November when flights resume but make some statement asap so people can stop this speculation. They keep saying "no international flights in the near future". There's been daily scheduled flights from various places (Qatar Airways, KLM etc.) since this all started and Lufthansa, Air France, Finnair etc have confirmed BKK flights from July 1, so some clear news needs to be made to clarify all this!   

So by reading these vague news it seems that more flights can land in BKK from July, but they can only bring in "business people", Thais and maybe work permit holders? Doesn't sound profitable for the airlines. I would imagine the planes being quite empty flying to BKK and full flying out. Of course if this can happen in July, many of us waiting to get out could be able to do so.  

They cannot roll out a plan, as they have no idea about the future. But not only here. Look at Germany, they issued a blanket travel warning for about 160 non CE countries and declared also Thailand as a high risk country, putting it at the same level with Egypt. Clueless Governments don't wanna take any decisions, specially not when elections are near or when they are walking in the edge already anhow.

27 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Unbelievable to see this same old news every single day – only with a slightly different headline. Could the officials even try to give some clarity to what this all even means. It doesn't matter if it's July, September or November when flights resume but make some statement asap so people can stop this speculation. They keep saying "no international flights in the near future". There's been daily scheduled flights from various places (Qatar Airways, KLM etc.) since this all started and Lufthansa, Air France, Finnair etc have confirmed BKK flights from July 1, so some clear news needs to be made to clarify all this!   

So by reading these vague news it seems that more flights can land in BKK from July, but they can only bring in "business people", Thais and maybe work permit holders? Doesn't sound profitable for the airlines. I would imagine the planes being quite empty flying to BKK and full flying out. Of course if this can happen in July, many of us waiting to get out could be able to do so.  

I know, it seems pointless repeating it daily and reading the same old 'does this mean?' comments underneath.

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

Last thing I remember
But you can never leave"

There is nothing stopping you from leaving. There are flights leaving every day. Have you even checked?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well it is the low season, Summer is here in the Northern half of the world, and

it seems like the south half , Australia and New Zealand are doing

okay. South America not so good, especially Brazil. Africa as well. I just hope for a better organized world in November and high season this and next year.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Last thing I remember
But you can never leave"

Since May? It’s now mid June!

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand could allow inbound international travel to resume next month for business purposes, the aviation regulator said on Thursday, as the country seeks to revive an economy hit badly by the impacts of the coronavirus and global travel curbs.

Can't imagine many businessmen agreeing to a 14 day quarantine for every trip.

It ain't gonna happen.

25 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

What countries they are talking about? 

NZ???? 

Well, Thailand was always the main holiday destination for NZ. 

Think you need fact check that.

AU is #1 for NZ by long way.

Don't think Thai even in top several countries. Probably why NZ won't do any "deal with Thailand"

It really starts to annoy me, these daily pinky panky-, no content-, yes + no news with no statement whatsoever!

It shows the "wash me but don't make me wet" attitude of irresponsible people who want to show action but don't want to be responsible.

They can continue with that for months - wish there will be a decision maker and no pretenders.

Now they are talking about bringing people directly to Phuket with freedom there and eventually they would be allowed to travel freely once it was known they were safe. Not a bad idea. One group I never hear mentioned- those people with non immigrant visas who are currently locked out of the country. These people are not tourists and should be given priority before real tourists are allowed back into the country.

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you need fact check that.

AU is #1 for NZ by long way.

Don't think Thai even in top several countries. Probably why NZ won't do any "deal with Thailand"

Sorry that you didn't understand the joke or sarcasm 

5 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Now they are talking about bringing people directly to Phuket with freedom there and eventually they would be allowed to travel freely once it was known they were safe. Not a bad idea. One group I never hear mentioned- those people with non immigrant visas who are currently locked out of the country. These people are not tourists and should be given priority before real tourists are allowed back into the country.

They don't bring serious money. 

On the contrary,  they are mostly cheapskates, that's why they retired in Thailand (at a time when it was still cheap).

21 hours ago, brucec64 said:

There is nothing stopping you from leaving. There are flights leaving every day. Have you even checked?

Yes, but getting to London is not on my bucket list at the present time

21 hours ago, Olmate said:

Since May? It’s now mid June!

I was scheduled to leave on May first, which was cancelled, then May third which was cancelled, then June 19th which was cancelled and then July 3rd which was cancelled. so YES since May