Exclusive: 'Sorry is not enough', Caribbean states say of British slavery apologies

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

That's daft, he was probably black

How true.....????

Yes, the black folk wondered all over the place way back when, so much so that zillions over time turned pale in colour, a change in temperature thingy...

So what do we have regarding the slave thingy....

Black folk sold black folk, black folk that turned white sold black folk. 

Now today, black folk want to forget that white folk were once black, and black folk that sold black folk were no doubt relatives of the black folk that turned white. 

Now dare I mention Australia and their fairly resent past......Nooooooooo...????  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Well I sure hope indigenous peoples on North America, South America, Australia and New Zealand can live with an apology rather than getting the land back that was stolen from them.  Sure they were never slaves they were just murdered wholesale.  The job was so effectively done that there is none left in the Caribbean to give the land to. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, transam said:

How true.....????

Yes, the black folk wondered all over the place way back when, so much so that zillions over time turned pale in colour, a change in temperature thingy...

So what do we have regarding the slave thingy....

Black folk sold black folk, black folk that turned white sold black folk. 

Now today, black folk want to forget that white folk were once black, and black folk that sold black folk were no doubt relatives of the black folk that turned white. 

Now dare I mention Australia and their fairly resent past......Nooooooooo...????  

Billy Connolly was somewhat surprised to unearth Indian ancestry in his background during a recent episode of 'Who do you think you are?'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

My mum was demoralised, bombed out of two houses, one whilst she was evacuated to N.Wales, the other when working on parts for the twin engined Mosquito....????

Mine was blown off the Khazi by a doodle bug...at the age of 6!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Just to extrapolate your thinking. Certain large Japanese businesses still exist today. During WWII they manufactured armaments, airplanes etc that the Imperial Japanese used when inflicting gross war crimes - such as the rape of Nanking, the slaughter of ethnic Chinese in Singapore, the Death Railway, torture and murder of POW's. Similarly many large German businesses provided armaments and war equipment for the German military.

You are suggesting all these businesses, which supported regimes which committed gross crimes against humanity, should have all assets liquidated and the funds used to pay reparations? 

Do you think the Russians should pay for slaughtering Poles, Ukrainians, and various Cossack tribes to? The Turks for the Armenian genocide? 

All countries who at one time or another occupied other countries, used slave labour, carried out slaving should pay?

Yes to all above. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

what is this Juneteeth rubbish in the USA? Slaves we not free until Dec 1865 when the constitution was amended. Lincoln never freed one single slave in his lifetime, had years to do it but only made a proclimation which addressed southern slavery. Caribbean slavery ended in 1833, almost two hundred years ago and some of them are still playing the victim.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Perhaps, as the UK goes out searching for the trade deals it desperately needs, this is the perfect time for the UK to re-examine the history of its past relationships with the world it now seeks as a new partner.

The myths, or if you like ‘history’ written by the ‘victors’ is being questioned, getting all upset over others having a different view of a shared history isn’t doing a nation in need of friends, let alone trade, any good at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm sure Lloyds (as much as I despise them, for different reasons) have nothing better to invest their money in, than spending it on corrupt "development" schemes in the Carribbean, which is also becoming a backwater of the good ole deleted infrastructure for mining etc. scheme...

13 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Just to extrapolate your thinking. Certain large Japanese businesses still exist today. During WWII they manufactured armaments, airplanes etc that the Imperial Japanese used when inflicting gross war crimes - such as the rape of Nanking, the slaughter of ethnic Chinese in Singapore, the Death Railway, torture and murder of POW's. Similarly many large German businesses provided armaments and war equipment for the German military.

You are suggesting all these businesses, which supported regimes which committed gross crimes against humanity, should have all assets liquidated and the funds used to pay reparations? 

Do you think the Russians should pay for slaughtering Poles, Ukrainians, and various Cossack tribes to? The Turks for the Armenian genocide? 

All countries who at one time or another occupied other countries, used slave labour, carried out slaving should pay?

Plus, USA companies made money from Nazi Germany, Kodak and IBM come to mind.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Getting tired of all this nonsense. The 21st Century. The Century of the victim and bleeding heart. William the Conqueror laid waste to the North of England and the Anglo-Scandanavians. I think i need to clain reparations from the EU and France now. Where does it stop. 

Yes I have often joked that we should be seeking compensation from France for the Norman invasion in 1066............but then when does it stop, and anyway the conquests and mixing and mingling of different peoples made the UK great as it has done other countries.

ENOUGH.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 12:10 PM, sprq said:

Appalled by the Atlantic slave trade,  I nevertheless used to joke with a Jamaican friend in London: "You were dead lucky. We took you out of the African jungle and put you on a Caribbean beach."

Africa has beaches.... If you lived in the jungle it was for practical reasons. 

You still think it was funny. How sad. You don't know how much those people put up with your offensive comments, just to get along.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Of course you are tired, because you haven't suffered in any way.

As to the Norman invasion;

So it can be seen as a positive thing for England.

So how is the Norman invasion in any way equal to the atrocities of slavery and the trading of humans?

Seems just another flippant remark to me.

Aaaaah, a reincarnated Norman that was a hip cool guy way back then eh....????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1