Exclusive: 'Sorry is not enough', Caribbean states say of British slavery apologies

snoop1130

On 6/20/2020 at 3:58 AM, Orton Rd said:

Americans created Liberia in the 1820's for ex slaves to go back to their homeland, or at least home continent with the capital named after Presindent Monroe. Strangely few ever took up the offer!

@Orton Rd although I did believe you, i've searched and read the wikiP, and learnt something not only new, but very interesting, and informative. quoted to 'bump' the post.

Thanks !????

On 6/21/2020 at 2:02 PM, chainarong said:

If people have lived all this time with this hate, I feel sorry for U. Millions were displaced or murdered in both world wars, millions were murdered by Starlin and Chinese Chairman Mao, but I don't see much said about that, history tells us that since the world began people have been persecuted  Move on. 

People don't get free money by moving on, which is why they won't.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

Britain was the first to ban the transportation of slaves in 1807 and the Royal Navy had the power to to intercept slave ships and free the slaves. Portugal transported more slaves than Britain. Britain outlawed slavery altogether in 1838 and Britain spent more on eradicating slavery than it ever did from it. These facts are rarely mentioned because it does not sit well with demonizing Britain.

Many other countries were involved in the practice but it is always Britain that takes the blame, not our finest hour certainly but you can only put things right when you are made aware of the problem. It seems that there always some only recognize the bits of history that suit them. Slavery happened in the past, it was awful and not something to be proud of but it is part of history and history also shows that it became unacceptable and it was stamped out.

Slavery continued legally in Saudi Arabia till mid 20th century. Don't hear much about that from the mob.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Slavery continued legally in Saudi Arabia till mid 20th century. Don't hear much about that from the mob.

There is a qualitative difference between the domestic slavery done today and slavery as practiced by the British which was for pure economic profit on plantations. This is admitted by British eye-witnesses at the time, James Ramsay, a Scottish surgeon formerly in the Royal Navy wrote:

“a half-starved negro, may, for breaking a single cane, which probably he himself has planted, be hacked to pieces with a cutlass”. He speaks of his anguish at being able to do so little to help the half-starved overworked men, women and children dressed in rags who were forced to work in the cane fields. He describes how a cart whip wielded by an experienced slave driver “cuts out flakes of skin and flesh with every stroke”.

The book gives an account of the relentless routine of overwork and punishment on the plantations, where slaves were worked until they died or were disabled. Ramsay writes that “the discipline of the plantation is exact as that of a regiment; at four o’clock in the morning the plantation bell rings to call the slaves into the fields”.

One surgeon was asked by a judge to amputate the limb of a slave but refused to do so according to Ramsay, answering “that he was not obliged to be the instrument of another man’s cruelty. His Honour then had it performed by a cooper’s adze, and the wretch was then left to bleed to death, without attention or dressing.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/cambridge-slavery-inquiry-racism-britain-colonialism-james-ramsay-a8898836.html

In my opinion this brutal British form of slavery for economic profit on plantations is very different to isolated cases of domestic slavery in Saud Arabia today. 

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Logosone said:

There is a qualitative difference between the domestic slavery done today and slavery as practiced by the British which was for pure economic profit on plantations. This is admitted by British eye-witnesses at the time, James Ramsay, a Scottish surgeon formerly in the Royal Navy wrote:

“a half-starved negro, may, for breaking a single cane, which probably he himself has planted, be hacked to pieces with a cutlass”. He speaks of his anguish at being able to do so little to help the half-starved overworked men, women and children dressed in rags who were forced to work in the cane fields. He describes how a cart whip wielded by an experienced slave driver “cuts out flakes of skin and flesh with every stroke”.

The book gives an account of the relentless routine of overwork and punishment on the plantations, where slaves were worked until they died or were disabled. Ramsay writes that “the discipline of the plantation is exact as that of a regiment; at four o’clock in the morning the plantation bell rings to call the slaves into the fields”.

One surgeon was asked by a judge to amputate the limb of a slave but refused to do so according to Ramsay, answering “that he was not obliged to be the instrument of another man’s cruelty. His Honour then had it performed by a cooper’s adze, and the wretch was then left to bleed to death, without attention or dressing.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/cambridge-slavery-inquiry-racism-britain-colonialism-james-ramsay-a8898836.html

In my opinion this brutal British form of slavery for economic profit on plantations is very different to isolated cases of domestic slavery in Saud Arabia today. 

Really, now where do you think this is, and not that far back....

2033431794_AustralianAboriginesinchainsatWyndhamprison1902.thumb.jpg.ee0ad59d9ee0b09ad6b40915e396039d.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4456954/aboriginal-slaves-australia-chains-united-nations/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Care now to withdraw your glib comment about slavery in Saudi Arabia in the light of the following link?

https://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_direct_link.cfm?blog_id=68785

• Like 1

Although London was the centre of the slave trade Britain was not the only slave trader which seems to be the way it portrayed, Portugal was top of the pile and France, Netherlands and Spain are not immune from criticism but never seem to get a mention. All the problems and ills of the world are down to the British, anything that was of benefit from the British will be conveniently forgotten. Now stop playing and watching football, cricket, tennis, hockey, rugby, snooker and thats the just the leisure side, get my point?

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, sukhumvitneon said:

It's just irritating when you can't go a single day without hearing about slavery or "white privilege" whatever the **** that is

Every news channel, political programme, documentary & just about anything else that I have tried to watch in the last month has rammed black victimhood and white guilt down the throats of anyone watching. No wonder moves are afoot to defund the BBC ????

On a lighter note I was pleased to see dizzy rascal fobbing Piers Morgan off when he tried (and failed!) to lure him in.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

For some saying sorry will never be enough and sorry does not change history, all these people do is make divisions deeper and make some people self-important and the highest on the moral ground, its time to accept history as it is. Its is also time to stop blaming the British for everything that went wrong, they were the first to abolish slavery something which conveniently forgotten and as for this Black Lives Matter, tired of having that rammed down my throat as well but its alright to say that but not Any other Color matters makes you wonder who the real racists are, too much focus on race, sex or any other group you think of who "feel" life could be better if only people would agree with my stance and do something. Life is not always fair, get over it and got on with it, yes life would be better if I had twice as much money, even better if I had three times as much.

• Like 1