Thailand Aims to Turn Away From Mass Tourism and Target the Wealthy

rooster59

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Tropical 5 Star Island of Phuket will be the crown jewel for their wealthy visitors and only the 5 star all inclusive Hotels will be in Play.  No room at the trough for those normal hotels, shops or restaurants.  I can see where the money is going. Straight into someone's pockets who has invested in the 5 star resorts... 

For example:-

Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, (Singha Estate hotel).

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, baansgr said:

Although they may spend 5 times the amount of sexpats..it doesn't create 5 times as many jobs which is what's needed 

Despite that, i think the elite rulers will prefer sacrificing the lives of prostitutes by keeping out farang sex tourists

Sorry, I forgot to tell you all that reading news

from someone in Thai government speaking out

about this and that, well, they all make my day

and my morning coffee taste really good, with a chuckle!

• Haha 2

One more thought on this.

The idea of mass tourism might be over for a while.

The airlines are all bleeding cash at an alarming rate. Chances are a few of them won't survive even with Government handouts.

So they are to a man offering tickets which are ridiculously cheap just to get some revenue in the door.

But when the dust settles and passenger number become sustainable, I bet you dollars to donuts that ticket prices won't be what you got in the past.

They like many business' will be trying to recoup their losses

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn

Thailand Aims to Turn Away From Mass Tourism and Target the Wealthy ???? typical, if Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn has brains he would be dangerous.

"Following the end of the lockdown of Phuket Island (29 March until April 30th) which had left thousands of residents and inter-provincial workers, trapped in Phuket for a month due to Covid-19 and the complete shutdown of the island, some 40,000 people registered to leave Phuket to head back to their home provinces."

The government will initially allow a small number of arrivals, such as some business executives and medical tourists. It is also working with the travel industry to identify and invite individuals in target demographics, which will probably include previous visitors to luxury resorts in the islands of Phuket, Samui, Phangan and Phi Phi, the minister said. Phuket is “a prototype” because it has all the needed facilities.

Targeting the wealthy? They'll probably need to film a few celebrities trying to survive under their own steam if the "Exodus" report is anything to go by!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lust said:

Rich people don’t come to Thailand, lol...

Wrong.  Of course rich people come to Thailand.  Plenty of them.  But, not enough to sustain an entire country's tourism.  Or, even in most cases an entire city's.   And, that's no different than most other countries and tourist cities in them.  Does anyone think Orlando's many tourist attractions are sustained by rich tourists alone?   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

As I alluded to on another thread, they want rid of sex tourism and this is gonna do it for them.

It's been a wild ride guys, but the party is over.

I think this is their true goal. They are not abandoning mass tourism who really want to go shopping and holiday. They want to get rid of sexpat. 

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

Thailand should close doors to foreign backpackers with a shoestring budget hanging out on Khaosan road.

They are targeting rich foreigners who stay at 5 star hotels and dine in expensive restaurants. But how many of these will come to Thailand? Not many I suppose.

Most tourists who come from western countries are backpackers. I talked to many and they are all on tight budget.

When you talked to them, did you tell them of your idea? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ratchsima said:

And Paris and NY for tourist scam, pick poketings, underground smelling like urinal and rude locals also???

What do poor /low class/ lowly educated/ rejected farangs in Thailand know about wealthy tourism and rich people?? You all said like you know every rich people around the world. The market is more complex  and bigger than your farang  sad small tiny mind. 

Siam Paragon is pretentious for wannabes??? Dont be mad Only because you farang losers here in TVF just dont have money to buy Hermes or Rolex. Just go to their food court is good enough for your class poor farang.

You farangs live here in low class society. What do you know about marketing for wealthy tourists and wealthy people?. You pretend to know about classy places and activitieas around the world but you can not afford to join.

Wealthy tourist  have thier places in Thailand  where you will never touch. They have been served for decades. Tiny poor 

farang like you nerver know it.

Well that's it then! I'm putting on my Hermes hat and getting into my Rolex coupe and driving out of here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How can you fill Ambassador City Jomtien hotel complex with over 4000 rooms without mass tourism? without support of large touroperators - who take commitments for most ot its rooms. ????
And the hotel complex is partly not suitable for wealthy but rather for budget tourists..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1