International flights to Thailand won't resume until September, says aviation authority

rooster59

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Geezus. Glad I'm not stuck out..

Feel bad for guys stuck outside.

Oh. Glad I'm not stuck in. Feel bad for anyone stuck in a foreign country ????

Was easy to convince my wife to come to Europe instead as there is no way I will fly to Thailand until the borders are opened again. Perhaps September, perhaps not.. Maybe next year better :)

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Your lack of insight is stunning. Some of us have family here and elsewhere and competing needs. 

So needs elsewhere took priority over those in Thailand.

Everyone that left Thailand in February and March knew there was a risk that they wouldn't be able to come back. 

Those on longer term visas were likely very aware of the situation and chose to leave.

Personally, if it were me, I would have chose to forego work and stayed with my family but others made different choices. 

Thai Ministry of Public Health and Centre for Disease Control was very communicative since mid-Feb and was already stopping travel to and from high risk countries back then.

The choice to leave now looks like a very bad one indeed for those that cannot now return.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, verticalift said:

Employed as a Helicopter Pilot flying to the offshore rigs in Abu Dhabi, I’ve been unable to get back home to Phuket since early March... despite having a 10yr O-X VISA, Thai I.D. Card and Yellow Book Tambian Baan with my name in it. None of it matters. If I can get back home to Phuket in October, great. I’ll submit my resignation here in Abu Dhabi and burn my suitcases. Int’l travel for the next 5 yrs will be too painful.

Why did you choose to go back to work in the middle of a global pandemic in the first place?

Odd decision given the circumstances.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Perhaps I should consider renting a container on a freighter to visit my family back in the "old country to arrive right in time for Christmas.

I think you would be able to fill it with others

@mjnaus:

As a person on a retirement extension with a Thai wife but no WP, I can get on a flight from the U.S., maybe. How do I get through immigration when I arrive? My understanding is that is not currently possible. 

Edited by JCP108

4 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

Commercial flights arriving daily, from lot's of destinations across the globe. Plenty of flights to be had. Which this announcement even dumber, as flights never stopped... Options are a more limited than usual, and fares might be more expensive, but again, plenty of commercial flights arriving and departing daily.

Thanks for pointing this out. This is my observation as well, looking at BKK departures and arrivals. Whether you're allowed to board the sporadic international flights to Thailand is what matters. As I understand, you're allowed to enter Thailand if you hold a WP? Does anyone know?

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Geezus. Glad I'm not stuck out..

Feel bad for guys stuck outside.

What about those tourists that have been stuck in Thailand since March and can't get back home.

• Like 1

My flight is booked for Aug 11.....It'll be interesting to see if it actually happens.  Currently jumping through the 'must get your documents signed by absolutely every legal person in the world before submitting to Embassy to .....erm.....sign.  Embassy is currently shut in UK....or so they say.

Fun times

13 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

Commercial flights arriving daily, from lot's of destinations across the globe. Plenty of flights to be had. Which this announcement even dumber, as flights never stopped... Options are a more limited than usual, and fares might be more expensive, but again, plenty of commercial flights arriving and departing daily.

Oh, really? Plenty of them?

221229967_plenty(Small).jpeg.d3df0427d9f309b8d0913825629c3db5.jpeg

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
10 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

What about those tourists that have been stuck in Thailand since March and can't get back home.

I'm thinking that anyone currently in Thailand are not "stuck". 

Just one example, myself, could fly back to Oz if I wanted. 

But you're not a tourist, are you Doctor?

4 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Yep, exactly. Everyone had time. Apparently I'm off with the fairies though.

No you're not spinning off on a lunatic tirade.. This was a preplanned trip I made meeting a friend in the PI and then to travel back here. The timing was still open and good to go, but I kept monitoring the situation several times a day before and while over there. I knew on the way back from the PI that it was getting to just anytime be at the cracking time. Then 2 weeks later the writing was severely on the wall and then a half a week after that around last week in March the door got slammed shut. In-between all that my friend was staying in a guest house having a good ole time with the online girls (bars were shut) and I was watching the airline prices shoot up. He barely got a ticket out of here on a different airlines as his airlines had already shut down. So if one had been watching, then one would have known the welcome door was going to be closed. I do sympathize with the people stuck out though. I would be going bonkers by now without my family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

I got it from my own life. Read my post above. I have a wife here in Thailand and other family needs concurrently needing my attention in the U.S. It's not that hard to understand. 

Foresight should have been more important to you than “competing needs” especially March 25 to April 1 when it was extremely obvious you needed to make a big boy choice. Most did and a handful did not The handful is always LOUDER when they made the wrong choice. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm thinking that anyone currently in Thailand are not "stuck". 

Just one example, myself, could fly back to Oz if I wanted. 

True; u could fly back to Oz. But u would be required to pay for a hotel for 14 days of quarantine. Even Aussie have to do this...makes sense to be careful not to allow things like this recent spike in Oz from continuing.

48 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

They must have been in some silent retreat with no human contact, the  last week of March for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Foresight should have been more important to you than “competing needs” especially March 25 to April 1 when it was extremely obvious you needed to make a big boy choice. Most did and a handful did not The handful is always LOUDER when they made the wrong choice. 

My need to be back in the U.S. emerged in the middle of May. It wasn't a choice I was facing in the same way in March or April. 

Edited by JCP108
  • Like 1

such a strange statement... surely you should be trying to encourage the government to let you get business going again but he or she sounds like they're quite happy with that, when in most countries there aviation managers would be fuming. typical thai thinking hardly any customers he/she can sit about all day doing nothing.

Edited by paulikens

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Will T A's proposed " rehabilitation " be affected by this .. very uncertain times for the Aviation industry full stop .. and for the tourist industry in Thailand who have been banking on some sort of restart judging by some of the statements being made .. 

first they will have to have agreements signed by the governments of any country they intend to fly to not to impound their planes for any creditors involved. Without this all flights will be one way until they run out of planes

• Like 1