International flights to Thailand won't resume until September, says aviation authority

rooster59

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Odd comment given that there are people who have employment, need employment  and that employment must be continued in spite of a pandemic while others may find a convenient excuse to not be employed or have alternative means of income.

If so, then perhaps the risks of living on a different continent from where one's employment is located needs to be reassessed?

I find it incredulous that a pilot flying offshore helicopters in Abu Dhabi needs or has to go off to work at the start of, or during a global pandemic, the likes of which we have never seen in our lifetimes. 

That's the decision that was made though, and now the consequences are being faced.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Tom9999 said:

Sorry but you have no clue. Some of us are not retired and have to work in order to pay bills. Not everyone can just walk away from a paying Job when ever they want and return to Thailand. Not if they want to work for this company again.... 

Yes, of course can totally understand that. But the point is those people still had a choice, they decided to stay on, fine, but don't see why they can them complain about being 'stuck' outside when the world is in the midst of a global pandemic. Did they just expect to see out their contracts then just hop on a plane back back here with no issues?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Confusing isn't the word I'd use - fairness maybe?  Might be married to a Thai for 12 years with kids having both Brit and Thai passports, lived as a resident for 20 years, held a work permit for ten of those years.  Spent millions of baht on a house (in the wife's name), cars, kids education, employed many Thais over the years and generally contributed as a law-abiding citizen without costing the country a single baht.  Reward - zero.

But you knew this from the outset... so why did you do it?

No use crying over spilt milk as my old Mum used to say.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

While we are discussing the resumption of international flights in to Thailand, whats the writing on the wall saying now?....  It’s apparently clear for you to read, so you can give us a date, right?

Or is the writing on the wall clear only when you have 20/20 hindsight?

You know richard, by March the virus was well on its merrily way going international. Also in the first week of March, Thailand had already started to draw up a plan for quarantine. This was something highly in my thoughts when I went to the Philippines March 2nd to return here March 6th. I still took the gamble and went on the trip. After March 6th things started spiral tumbling with more measures rolling out here (writing on the wall). When all of the entertainment industry was forced shut ( major writing on the wall) it was becoming more apparent that with quarantines in effect now especially after the boxing ring fiasco, that the borders and air travel were going to be closed. All the while I was checking air flights for my friend and watched as the Philippines airline flights were being repeatedly canceled and watched as the Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia and then even Thailand closing down many land borders (Huge writing on the wall). This was at least 1-2 weeks in the making already and then on March 26 Thailand officially stopped all foreigners coming in. Now you tell me what is so difficult to follow and decipher that the borders would not be closed.

As for your smirk snide comment, pipe down. But first let me get out my crystal ball and try to give you an answer, then I will get on my magic carpet and fly over to the liquor store to buy some beer.

One would think maybe even next week that foreigners who are married or have WP's will be allowed in with proper documents. And as you probably know, this government doesn't care for the most part about any other races except for the Chinese as it looks. And so the EU and North American countries will probably be banned for tourism purposes perhaps for a few more months and then will be probably the last to have open entry here as it is no where near controlled or done in those places.

Easy to see the closing of the borders here from watching the events unfold, but my crystal ball needs to be retuned as is having problems mind reading the top fathead guys minds in control here. 

Edited by holy cow cm
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, connda said:

That Thai government doesn't care about Thai-Farang "families" as non-Thais aren't viewed as really humans so a Thai-Farang "family" isn't really viewed as a family.  Only a pure-Thai family is a real family.  Those of us married to Thais understand that. 

You have quoted that out of context.

My statement was a reply to pest in this thread regarding his statement of 

What is there is there to miss.

Has nothing to do with that gov.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The overseas Thai embassies and consulates are already accepting applications from foreigners with Thai spouses to re-enter Thailand with exactly the same criteria as WP holders.

I wonder how they will prove they are married to a Thai? Me,like many ,would not necessarily have taken their marriage certificate with them abroad,leaving it safely at home and might also  be on the administratively easier retirement visa. Unless the embassies can reference it remotely or would accept a pdf copy sent by someone in thailand? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm thinking that anyone currently in Thailand are not "stuck". 

Just one example, myself, could fly back to Oz if I wanted. 

I have been trying to get back to the US since early May. I have just received my third cancellation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Will T A's proposed " rehabilitation " be affected by this .. very uncertain times for the Aviation industry full stop .. and for the tourist industry in Thailand who have been banking on some sort of restart judging by some of the statements being made .. 

They are forcing hotels to go broke along with many other business while they eat cavier and joke over expensive watches.

• Like 2

An airline with which I am familiar is considering reducing the normal number of daily flights to and through BKK for the future. I understand that the intransigence of the Thai Aviation Authorities has something to do with that embryonic plan.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Asian governments and economies are going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

They either open up the countries, accept the limited damage that Covid19 will do to their respective countries and make a decision based on it.

They either want to lift their economies and accept visitors and tourists, whilst doing their best to contain the virus with masks, social distancing, hand washing, limited numbers of people in certain spaces etc, or they shutdown and take the risks as to the amount of damage it will do to the livelihoods of their citizens and prosperity of their country.

They cannot have both.

Europe knows this, and the unfortunate deaths that follow, are becoming collateral damage for the greater good of their countries and the majority of their citizens as painful as it is.

Very true.  it's intake management.  Capacity is too limited.  Extending capacity and having quarantine measures in place is very possible to at least allow the return of those who normally reside in Thailand that are expats.  The current limited hotel model needs to be extended to a large scale model of mass intake returnees.  There are many different models being used globally for quarantining arrivals.  I am hoping the Thai government is looking at expanding options whilst maintaining integrity of its current health measures.  Lowering exorbitant hotel costs for quarantine and looking at other facility arrangements.  Thailand is also in an employment crisis where so many people could be temporaily employed to help facilitate the monitoring of returnees to comply with quarantine requirements.  

I have thrown up ideas such as padlocking our homes (of course you would sign an agreement and be given ample food and water that you pay for), wrist bands, tracking apps, testing officers, compliance officers, whatever it takes.  

Then we can also be part of a collective several Millions of baht pumping into the local economy whilst it is still bleeding out.  At least we would help stem the blood flow of money and help landlords, local business, etc etc to be propped up with the influx.  I feel for the poor Thais who are truly against the wall.  Heartbreaking seeing the food queues.  I wish I was there to spend my money there.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

They can't have BOTH but in this current situation the government will not allow this chance to use the crisis to settle an agenda going back centuries.

The complete elimination of influence of the west (white Europeans, North Americans, etc) from Thailand.

Boy I sure hope you are wrong on that one. Although I do think more hoop jumping will be mandatory.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

They can't have BOTH but in this current situation the government will not allow this chance to use the crisis to settle an agenda going back centuries.

The complete elimination of influence of the west (white Europeans, North Americans, etc) from Thailand.

Nobody from such countries will ever again enter visa free and it will be very expensive, with multiple health checks and risk of quarantine, and a restricted itinerary resembling a tour to North Korea. I feel I have lost my Condo and all my possessions, just as many predicted, but they never mentioned a virus.

Remarking your last line , is the reason already 3 almost 4 years back I stopped the plan for buying a nice condo ,stopped transferring as before , and started using that Thai baht for all my needs , so same time  avoiding the foreign exchange disaster and keeping my Euros in Euroland ,shall meeting hem there latest May 2022  (could be even advanced depending Thai circumstances ) as by then I shall be 15 years , but last 4 years I saw the changes and anticipated on it  ...

When mister T & or Sister where in charge such economic disaster would not happen ,  but it is normal .....,military are never economists ..., as they don't care the price of bullets or rockets or other play-toys 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Perhaps I should consider renting a container on a freighter to visit my family back in the "old country to arrive right in time for Christmas.

We all laugh but maybe it is not such a crazy idea at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

We all laugh but maybe it is not such a crazy idea at all.

especially if your possessions are worth it , as because in this circumstances forget to be able to get a normal second hand price ,as Thais no money ,and  hiso buy new, less farang as uncertain times and travel problems  = bad very bad market ….. including for condos 

Edited by david555

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

There homes and family here.  It has been hard for guys that left for work off-shore to get back here to there home and families, as well as those who had to return either to the UK, Europe, or the US for work or out of necessity.  Glad I did not leave in February, as I would also be stuck out and my family here would be separated from myself just as well.  Some folks might think its funny but having been separated from the family before it is not fun and is stressful on all.

Yes. For other reasons my wife and I were apart for 5 months.  It was no fun at all. Now I'm in Thailand but a have to leave. When will I return this time, on what conditions?

I wonder how tat will put a spin on the numbers now  i feel sorry for the people who rely on tourists its a shame to see their business go down the gurgla and people not getting the handout its going to be Grimm  up here in issaan where i live we don't see tourists anyway and people seem to be getting by but places that rely on tourists are in for a lot of pain

30 minutes ago, david555 said:

Remarking your last line , is the reason already 3 almost 4 years back I stopped the plan for buying a nice condo ,stopped transferring as before , and started using that Thai baht for all my needs , so same time  avoiding the foreign exchange disaster and keeping my Euros in Euroland ,shall meeting hem there latest May 2022  (could be even advanced depending Thai circumstances ) as by then I shall be 15 years , but last 4 years I saw the changes and anticipated on it  ...

When mister T & or Sister where in charge such economic disaster would not happen ,  but it is normal .....,military are never economists ..., as they don't care the price of bullets or rockets or other play-toys 

I still didn't invest more than I could afford to lose.????

2 art works worth about $1000 USD combined and a 200 CD collection, a few irreplaceable, are a concern.

Ce la vie? What is Somchai gonna do with signed Vasarely and Hundertvasser originals? Probably bin them.

I am  planning on paying my condo fees for the rest of the year from July by a friend but at what point do you just walk away?

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thanks 1

As long as there are flights to Singapore, KL or Vietnam , it's no big deal to cross via the land border. Take the train or bus to the border. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I don't see any meaningful tandem announcements about help for those businesses and workers who will still be out in the cold for another two months, at least. 

LOS does not have any financial backup, folk just have to get on with it...????

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I would suspect the borders will have to be open by September as they have rescheduled a very important food show called the Thaifex for the end of September. Normally in May and usually gets about 13 - 15000 visitor per day from all over the world. Very important for export. If they postpone this show again then they really don't care about the economy slipping more into the septic tank. Exports help drive the economy.

Food show? You mean an exposition? Like a trade fair?

The smarter, more savvy companies and organizations have increasingly been doing online presentations and webinars since the C19 shutters came down. The smarter, more savvy people attend them.

• Like 1