International flights to Thailand won't resume until September, says aviation authority

rooster59

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Jula also said that even if airlines do start it will not be before September of this year and only then at a fraction of full capacity. 

I hope the government and T.A.T are listening, as well as all the bar, club, large venue facilities owners... this year is a dead duck for them.

Forget foreigners saving the day, coming back in droves in time to keep the businesses running.
Unless they have a wealthy financial backer they are going to close, unless they change the model to something else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acenase said:

So is this wrong? Or are they going to be forced to not fly and push back this schedule?

5 flights a week to Sydney and Melbourne from 1 August is certainly wrong. Zero chance that Australia’s borders will be open to ordinary tourists by then, and I don’t see how there are that many Australians still in Thailand who want to go back to Australia.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

I have time break it down for me so I can learn and give you a counter. I honestly feel Thailand is being influenced by China because China is financing many projects in Thailand 

What projects, list them and the amounts financed, here the first:

https://thediplomat.com/2019/03/will-thailands-china-built-railway-be-worth-it/

What others?

53 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Many of those millions of people that are employed in a variety of roles to take care of international tourists are also there to cater for domestic tourism, which at 5% or 6% of GDP is less than the international segment at 12% but is still hefty....that's still USD 30 bill. And that means those jobs are still in existence but only required to a lesser degree, let's face it, the tourist industry in Thailand is way over populated with unessential business that are replicated many times over, a cull in that are would actually be a good thing, I think. In the months ahead domestic tourism will become the more important sector which will absorb some of the economic shock.

The trickle down effect will be felt everywhere . To the point of there being no domestic tourism as well . A lot of economies are now built on the service industry (that includes western countries) if there is no one to service the effects are going to be felt everywhere . We are all going to be in a few years of hurt let’s make no mistake about it . 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

The trickle down effect will be felt everywhere . To the point of there being no domestic tourism as well . A lot of economies are now built on the service industry (that includes western countries) if there is no one to service the effects are going to be felt everywhere . We are all going to be in a few years of hurt let’s make no mistake about it . 

Sure there will be pain, we agree on that. But I don't agree that "we are all going to be in for a few years of hurt", I think a small percentage of the population will but the rest will get through this well.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, unheard said:

Same conditions as for the WP holders:

Upon approval - fit to fly certificate , insurance and 14 day self-paid quarantine.

Diagram.PNG

The fit-to-fly certificate seems unlikely to get if your trip starts in the U.S. People I have talked to there say elective tests are not easy or impossible to get doctors to order. 

18 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

I thought ones with Thai family members will be given an exception to enter following strict protocol 

There’s been little to no talk about allowing foreign nationals with family, loved ones, or long stay visas who’s homes are in Thailand return. We’re just not a priority. The fact is Thailand was slow setting up repatriation flights for Thai Nationals. The talk coming from Thai leaders, it seems the priority is Chinese tourist and “rich” tourist.

There’s a couple of Facebook groups, trying to lobby their way back into the Kingdom, just no path or plan exist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand.

Thailand has less than 4,000 covid- 19 infections out of a population of 66 million people.

How many local transmissions were there that did not come from an imported transmission?

Only 58 people have died.

96% recovery rate.

Close down the whole economy why?

The only smart thing the government did was banning international

Flights from arriving into Thailand.

More Thai people die from road accident every year and the government doesn't enforce safety measures.

The government has created an economic disaster.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

There homes and family here.  It has been hard for guys that left for work off-shore to get back here to there home and families, as well as those who had to return either to the UK, Europe, or the US for work or out of necessity.  Glad I did not leave in February, as I would also be stuck out and my family here would be separated from myself just as well.  Some folks might think its funny but having been separated from the family before it is not fun and is stressful on all.

That will be a lesson for people who left their families during a deadly worldwide virus situation to never do something stupid like that again. Also, not to setup their home in Thailand and move to a different country where they can get back into then next time there's a similar situation via repatriation flights.

19 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Pure speculation. We don't know for sure about 'guys' outside and each ones situation, do we.  If any are genuinely stuck, they had plenty of time to come back when it was obvious that the borders were going to be closed at some point, so why didn't they?? And please don't list a load of weak excuses, if they were that worried they would have come back, end of story.

You hit the nail on the head. Plenty of time for those guys who really cared to return to their families.

Edited by bbi1
  • Sad 7

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm thinking that anyone currently in Thailand are not "stuck". 

Just one example, myself, could fly back to Oz if I wanted. 

I think people are stuck if they will only fly back on their original return booking. If willing to use alternate routings and pay additional fare it is possible to get almost anywhere. 

51 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Only 58 people have died.

96% recovery rate.

Close down the whole economy why?

The only smart thing the government did was banning international

Flights from arriving into Thailand.

maybe the government knows something we don't

I know of a doctor that had to sign a confidentiality agreement in order to cover up multiple cases, I won't say where or which country

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Trillian, I like your hope and optimistic spirit, but unless you have been in the provinces, lived in the provinces, and observed how these people lived before and now live, I think your view might become a little different.  Many of the folks that have worked in the tourism sector in Pattaya, Phuket and even in Bangkok unfortunately lost there jobs, this then transferred down the chain to those that supported them like folks selling street food, and other goods bought by them.  The workers who worked in big Hotels like the Aetas Lumpini, near me, were also laid off ad the Hotel closed up completely.  They have said they will try to reopen in September, but without tourists to rent rooms here they will not open, and the staff will still be unemployed without wages. May hotels have closed completely as well, and may never re-open. 

Landlords that rented out rooms, and such also are on the outside, with a loss of revenue, and some are even close to loosing there condos if they can not find the money to keep paying.  The trickle down effect is real.  My GF had to close her hair salon due to Covid.  The 4 displaced employees were able to collect the 5,000 baht from the Government but my GF was not able to.  The landlord refused to cut her space rent or assist, and so my GF moved all of her stuff out and closed up for good.  No income for her except as she is a premier colorist.  She is not Thai and therefore was unable to get the even little money the Gov't handed out.  She filed for social security payments but was told that even though she qualified there was nothing for her. 

I closed my International investigations business, and my employee's who are scattered now in SE Asia have been left to using there own savings.  I think you need to re-assess your views that everything will be ok because Thais are resilient.  Resiliency can only take one so far.  Many will remain unemployed for a long time and many families are hurting as the bread winners and supporters for them have also had to return home to be with them and are living very tightly on anything they can sell, and the handouts provided.  People say I am being a fearmonger and not seeing the big picture.  However, I am living with the fallout everyday.  My GF family moved back home to their country and are all now in one house that we are supporting.  My GF is still paying the power and water for her condo that she owns outright, but has lost her renters which she does not know when they will return.  The two motor bikes she had that her employee's used have been sold to help her make ends meet.  Tell me how you see the economy moving forward with only domestic tourism, when many Thais have no money as they lived day to day and month to month prior to this. 

Sure the government will be trying to provide tourism money to them but in requiring the hotels and restaurants to reduce there prices by 50% and be possibly assisted as well, just does not bode well.  Sure some destinations are seeing visitors, but they are mostly people who still had jobs and need the time to de-compress from the overloaded work they have been doing due to layoffs of fellow employee's.  I hope you understand my views as they are real everyday things we see.  I have been here for quite awhile, with going back and forth to the US for sporadic visits.  Even family elsewhere is suffering with reductions.  Is this a major reset for all, I think it is, but only time will tell. 

I concur..

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

I don’t believe those numbers at all . The tourism sector employs millions of people directly or indirectly . Be that housing - restaurants - financial support etc etc if they are going to do away with mass tourism they had better start getting the rich and middle class to start paying tax as there will need to be some form of a welfare state or another . 

The rich and middle class paying tax? You mean paying extra tax? No chance, most of them got that way by being too greedy and on the backs of the working class. There is no way they are going to raise their own taxes to help the working class.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Second wave - bad news in Australia. All looking good, then in last 2 days some increase in numbers allowed in restaurants, sports, family gatherings etc.

Very quickly in Victoria in 1 day 25 new infections found, next day 10, also bad numbers in NSW. 

There's a long way to go yet....

It'll pass. There's procedures in place now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JCP108 said:

The fit-to-fly certificate seems unlikely to get if your trip starts in the U.S. People I have talked to there say elective tests are not easy or impossible to get doctors to order. 

I don't know if he's right or wrong about the U.S. issued visas notion right now...

But I do know, I'm waiting to see any/some post from a "stranded" American (family member without a work permit) who reports they've been able to obtain a visa in the U.S. and then make a successful trip back to Thailand right now during the repatriation flights-only period.

22 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Perhaps I should consider renting a container on a freighter to visit my family back in the "old country to arrive right in time for Christmas.

Why would you do that lol,when u can purchase a berth on sea going freighters.

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

There homes and family here.  It has been hard for guys that left for work off-shore to get back here to there home and families, as well as those who had to return either to the UK, Europe, or the US for work or out of necessity.  Glad I did not leave in February, as I would also be stuck out and my family here would be separated from myself just as well.  Some folks might think its funny but having been separated from the family before it is not fun and is stressful on all.

The THAI authority are laughing..They can resume entry right now tourists included. But they are bad not logical and racist. This will be there end.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Can anyone give a good reason why a highly Covid infected country like Spain are now going to allow people in (even from the UK) AND without quarantine, yet Thailand remains closed and looks like it will be until September??

I suppose it’s because the fewer infections a country has, the more it has to risk by opening its borders. Reason that I think I’m going to be imprisoned in Australia for the next few years.

19 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I suppose it’s because the fewer infections a country has, the more it has to risk by opening its borders. Reason that I think I’m going to be imprisoned in Australia for the next few years.

True enough. Apparently you have had a mini outbreak there now, Victoria specifically?