Extension Of Stay - Outside Thailand Now

Hi Guys,

My friend who have an extension of stay based on retirement, is currently since march in Sweden and he can not come back to Thailand yet as you know!!

What happens if he is not allowed back in until his extension has "gone out" of validity??? Is he of som kind of amnesti or do he have to start all over again, with i.e. buying a new Non Immigrant O in Sweden when he is allowed back in here into Thailand.???

glegolo

If his extension is expired when he enters the country it is gone. He will have to start all over again by applying for a new one.

If possible it would be best to apply for a single entry non-o visa before traveling to here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If his extension is expired when he enters the country it is gone. He will have to start all over again by applying for a new one.

If possible it would be best to apply for a single entry non-o visa before traveling to here.

Great, thank you, Now I can give him an answer..

glegolo

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I was at my local IO last week doing my E of S I spoke with a Senior IO regarding my wife’s E of S he advised me that even he was unsure what was to happen he did suggest however that it could be the case that those abroad with an ES would be permitted back in on an expired ES providing they had a re- entry stamp In the passport maybe this is wishful thinking however the main problem is getting a $100,000 insurance policy that states you are covered for Covid 19 plus a medical certificate stating you are virus free no older than 72 hours before your departure back to Thailand , without these two requirements regardless of what visa you have you won’t be allowed onto the flight .

As UJ and Tanoshi suggested, applying at the thai Embassy/Consulate in Sweden for a 90-day SingleEntry Non Imm O Visa would be easier and less stressful than flying into Thailand  VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa and then applying for that Visa in-country.

Another very worthwhile option for him to consider would be to apply in Sweden for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O-A (long stay) Visa.  That Visa now requires having a health-insurance policy that meets the 400K/4OK in-patient/out-patient requirements imposed by Immigration.

But if he already has an international health-insurance policy that covers him while in Thailand, he would need to convince his insurer to sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate stating that his policy meets these two (low) coverages.

Alternatively he could also subscribe to a relatively cheap thai IO-approved health-insurance policy (e.g. the LMG Insurance Plan 1 with 200K deductible which charges an annual premium of 6.000 THB to 11.400 THB in the age categories of 51 to 75 years). 

The advantage of the Non Imm O-A over the Non Imm O Visa, is that it can provide you with almost 2 years of stay (provided your renew your policy after the 1st year or subscribed to a 2 year policy) without the need of parking or transferring money to a personal thai bank-account, or having to apply for an extension at your local IO.

Note 1: In case your friend is married to a thai national, or if the receives a pension, there are even better options for him to consider.

Note 2: If he considers applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa, feel free to contact me for additional information on that option.

• Like 1

Easy decision for me as I am out of Thailand. If my retirement visa expires whilst i still cannot fly into thailand and immigration demands I must start the process again. I will  fly in on a VOA  and move all my funds back to uk and return to uk. My Thai adventure will be over.

I plan to slowly move back to uk spending longer there gradually but this would just speed it up. 

Thai life is getting expensive with ecvhange rate no longer of benefit and I now prefer it in uk - fresh air, countryside, no soi dogs or noise. Etc  etc. 

Edited by twix38
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

As UJ and Tanoshi suggested, applying at the thai Embassy/Consulate in Sweden for a 90-day SingleEntry Non Imm O Visa would be easier and less stressful than flying into Thailand  VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa and then applying for that Visa in-country.

Another very worthwhile option for him to consider would be to apply in Sweden for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O-A (long stay) Visa.  That Visa now requires having a health-insurance policy that meets the 400K/4OK in-patient/out-patient requirements imposed by Immigration.

But if he already has an international health-insurance policy that covers him while in Thailand, he would need to convince his insurer to sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate stating that his policy meets these two (low) coverages.

Alternatively he could also subscribe to a relatively cheap thai IO-approved health-insurance policy (e.g. the LMG Insurance Plan 1 with 200K deductible which charges an annual premium of 6.000 THB to 11.400 THB in the age categories of 51 to 75 years). 

The advantage of the Non Imm O-A over the Non Imm O Visa, is that it can provide you with almost 2 years of stay (provided your renew your policy after the 1st year or subscribed to a 2 year policy) without the need of parking or transferring money to a personal thai bank-account, or having to apply for an extension at your local IO.

Note 1: In case your friend is married to a thai national, or if the receives a pension, there are even better options for him to consider.

Note 2: If he considers applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa, feel free to contact me for additional information on that option.

Never in my life that I will suggest that to a friend, maybe to an enemy, nobody else. Non Immigrant O-A i being useless in my eyes at least..

Sorry mate,

glegolo

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

Never in my life that I will suggest that to a friend, maybe to an enemy, nobody else. Non Immigrant O-A i being useless in my eyes at least..

No problem, but we obviously do not have the same eyes...

All these speculation about entering visa exempt/tourist visa is moot now. There is no provision for that as of now and no discussion at the ministry level even. Have to wait at least Nov to get more information. If the infections show its ugly head with restricted entries proposed, that may be pushed even further. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 3:14 PM, glegolo said:

At this juncture, I have to agree. Somewhere down the road he's going to have to swap to a TGIA approved policy to further his stays in Thailand. Switching to a new health insurance policy, with preconditions and age, can be tricky. Yes, LMG looks cool, for now -- but would love to see their auditor's forecasts....

No, the one-time advantage of the O-A -- never having to visit Imm for two years ('cept for 90 day reports, maybe if computer illiterate), was a nice advantage, plus leaving your 800k in homeland stock funds, not a Thai bank account. But, this insurance fiasco now makes it a terrible choice.