Mosquito fogger

seabear

11 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

I have a system to keep off the Mossies. About 3 years ago I noticed a dead cock roach on the floor in the morning. Another one a cupla days later. We had just started to use MagiClean for the tiled floor. So I made up a spray bottle with it diluted. Tried spraying on ants. Killed them. Great. Then experimented. Sit outside at night, spray my legs with it. No mossie bites, no flies or midges land on you.  Now when I am outside gardening or chillin' I give myself a quick spray. and use it for cleaning tables too! (They make a spray for indoors anyway!!)????????????????????????????????

I bet your legs are nice and clean too.

11 hours ago, Grusa said:

We have the same. It would help if they put some insecticide in it....but that costs money, eats the profits, and takes effort.

Same with the useless sprays that destroy chipboard furniture, not insects.

DIY wins every time.

An insecticide like Permethrin can be added to the fogging mixture but the main effectiveness against mosquitoes comes from the diesel fumes which form a film around water droplets where their eggs have been laid causing them to die before they are able to hatch breaking their breeding cycle.

Permethrin probably increases the effectiveness but in my opinion it isn't worth the trade off of increased toxicity to humans and animals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

An insecticide like Permethrin can be added to the fogging mixture but the main effectiveness against mosquitoes comes from the diesel fumes which form a film around water droplets where their eggs have been laid causing them to die before they are able to hatch breaking their breeding cycle.

Permethrin probably increases the effectiveness but in my opinion it isn't worth the trade off of increased toxicity to humans and animals. 

May I have a reference to your source for this info?

12 hours ago, alien365 said:

Any idea if it's ok to use if you have cats or dogs?

It's a portable version of the 'cannon' fogger pictured earlier. It uses diesel as the main propellant, not kerosene.

I haven't fired it up yet (need to get some diesel when I top up the pickup) but since it's an outdoor fogger, I will be keeping our pets inside for an hour or so after your done mossie murdering in the yard.

57 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Maybe not the reference you are seeking but on remote camp sites back in the less environmentally aware days, spraying diesel on the surfaces of open, grey water cisterns and ponds was a daily procedure as the thin meniscus of oil on the surface of standing water suffocates the mossie larva that use a siphon to breathe at the surface.

mosquito_larvae_03-12-13.thumb.jpg.78a8a2176bbe1ee585bbb0dd954c2928.jpg

https://www.mosquito.org/page/biology

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grusa said:

I did some reading on the subject prior to buying a fogger but that was several years ago so I don't recall the sources. However that was definitely the conclusion I came to at the time and the subsequent fogging was done with diesel alone and it was quite effective.

For what it's worth, the fogger I bought was one of those handheld jobs shown in an earlier post and though it worked ok it wasn't really powerful enough for the area I needed to cover. I considered buying one of the bigger backpack or shoulder held units but those things cost a lot more and from what I have seen, can be tricky to get started. In the end I was able to largely solve my mosquito problem by dealing with the source of the little buggers. Once in a while, if planning a social event I will call the caretaker from a local temple and for a few hundred he comes and does the fogging.

I also recall that when staying in decent resorts that do regular fogging seeing guest circulars saying something to the effect that they intend fogging at such & such a time and guests may prefer to stay indoors at that time but to be reassured that there are no pesticides used.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SW Happy said:

I bet your legs are nice and clean too.

As I said on another reply. If I am not wearing a shirt I mist all over. The bloody flies are a big nuisance too when you're trying to do something!!????????????????

Edited by DPKANKAN

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe not the reference you are seeking but on remote camp sites back in the less environmentally aware days, spraying diesel on the surfaces of open, grey water cisterns and ponds was a daily procedure as the thin meniscus of oil on the surface of standing water suffocates the mossie larva that use a siphon to breathe at the surface.

mosquito_larvae_03-12-13.thumb.jpg.78a8a2176bbe1ee585bbb0dd954c2928.jpg

https://www.mosquito.org/page/biology

Thank you for that link, I have not seen it before. Very interesting.

Given the prevalence of diesel fumes in LOS, one would think there should be no mosquitoes. 

edit: especially near Sukhumvit.

Edited by Grusa

7 hours ago, thedemon said:

I came to at the time and the subsequent fogging was done with diesel alone

When I did fogging in Malaysia with the company supplied fogger at the beachhouse. The fogger had two tanks one for diesel/kerosene and one for insecticide. It would appear most of them now are gasoline powered.

petrol_power_insect_fogger_fogging.jpg?v

The smaller home use ones now available are propane powered with a tank for insecticide.

Edit: Now I'm wondering if our fogger may have been gasoline powered and the insecticide was mixed with diesel to provide the fog. I.e. the insecticides are oil based. hence the diesel smell. It was long time ago and i may have ingested too much ????

Bear in mind that foggers will kill all insects including all the ones that are quietly sleeping while you are enjoying your mosquito free sun-downer. Better to use traps etc specifically for mosquitoes? 

Edited by VocalNeal

Bare in mind that most so called 'safe' insecticides have long term effects on some wildlife. Saw an interesting documentary a week ago which basically said that the collapse in bee populations in Europe and USA has been caused by neonicotinoids. At the levels used, the bees do not usually die but basically are chronically weakened, allowing diseases and parasites to wreak havoc.

And yes, the manufacturers were aware of this, but deny, deny.

• Like 1