Victim of Nonthaburi ‘water-bottle poisoner’ warns fellow runners

webfact

Victim of Nonthaburi ‘water-bottle poisoner’ warns fellow runners

By The Nation

800_6ca6271c989a658.jpg?v=1592899492

A Nonthaburi runner has warned fellow exercisers to beware of an assailant who he believes injected poison into his water bottle, putting him in hospital.

Posting under the Facebook name Etoriw Sibaht, the victim said he went running in Nonthaburi’s Makut Rommayasaran Park at 8.30pm on Friday (June 20) and placed a bottle of water beside his running route.

After finishing his run, he drank the water but found it tasted strange. Shrugging of the taste, he went out to dinner with friends. Soon after, he began suffering blurred vision, shortness of breath and vomiting before he passed out.

He woke up in hospital, where a doctor said he might have had a stroke. However, he later learned there was a possibility he had been poisoned with a substance that caused a condition similar to a stroke.

Realising that the strange taste of the water might have come from the poison, he returned home and examined the bottle, only to find it had been punctured by a needle hole.

He reported the incident to Rattanathibet police station and also posted a warning to other runners.

Full story: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390153

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-23

• Sad 1

Yes strange people one wonders if this was random or not. I mean could be someone with a grudge if the guy ran there often and maybe got on someones nerves.

Not that i condone this in any way. A random act is way scarier.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Then nobody needs to poison you your doing it yourself. The level of poisoning depends on how much you drink. It certainly damages you if you drink a lot every day. 

maybe i will start cutting back and some off days.

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

maybe i will start cutting back and some off days.

Your body not up to me, I believe in the right to poison yourself with alcohol / drugs as long as you dont operate a vehicle at the same time. 

• Like 1

I was just in that park last Friday...I walked a bit because it has some nice gardening and was on my way back from Tesco. What a Shame...I hope nobody starts posting about the mysterious Farang (in that area...I am the only foreigner in that park) ! 

I noticed some runners in the park where I also run, placing their water bottle on an elevated surface.

When they need to drink, grab the bottle while continuing running and drinking, carry it and place it back on the elevated surface when passing it again.

But then there are guards, so hopefully all safe.

10 minutes ago, Paiman said:

I noticed some runners in the park where I also run, placing their water bottle on an elevated surface.

When they need to drink, grab the bottle while continuing running and drinking, carry it and place it back on the elevated surface when passing it again.

But then there are guards, so hopefully all safe.

I am not a runner, but I can understand not wanting to run with a water bottle in the hand or strapped somewhere. Unfortunately there are a lot of crazy / bad people in the world and its not safe to let your bottle stand somewhere.

It might not be a problem for 100 times, but it just takes one person with a grudge or crazy to do some damage. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:25 AM, robblok said:

Your body not up to me, I believe in the right to poison yourself with alcohol / drugs as long as you dont operate a vehicle at the same time. 

Rightly so.

And I believe it is the right of people to poison themselves with Sugar, Salt, Red meat, as long as one does not make their children believe that these additives in great quantities are just fine.

A cold bottle of beer and a glass of wine ranks lower on the poison scale that what food laced with lots of sugar does to people here.

• Like 1

I see it every day, thai runners who place their waterbottle somewhere in the park while they're running...dogs roam around, pee against it....

I also run there and never bring a waterbottle...why do the thai always need a waterbottle? And when they run they wear black long sleeved clothes, sometimes even a jacket! It's always 30+ celcius here....often even warmer...

They could at least hang their bottle in a tree or so, away from the dogs....but it's not my problem...

• Like 1