Hand Sanitizer vs Soap & Water

marvin1950

Why is a hand sanitizer with ethyl alcohol less than 65% not as effective washing your hands against covid-19 as opposed to ordinary soap and water.

What is in soap that is so special.

Wash in cold water or hot?

Some societies do not have access to hot water.

Thank you

As I understand it the difference is that washing the hands properly with soap and water "removes" bacteria and virus in same  way as same process removes visible contamination whereas the gel is intended to sterilize the surface of the hands. The alcohol  percentage needs to be high  to have optimum effect and the gel component assists in the spread and retention of the alcohol.

Hand washing is said to be  much more effective but obviously not so convenient.

I don't think  hot water is actually of importance.

Edited by Dumbastheycome
additional

Placebo Effect 101:

If you believe that hot water and soap are the best option for cleaning your hands, then soap and hot water will keep you safe.

If you believe that hand sanitizer is the best option for cleaning your hands, then hand sanitizer will keep you safe.

If you believe that one is more effective than the other, then the one you believe is the most effective will keep you safe.

Simple!

Soap works just as well in cold water as in hot. It emulsifies everything on the skin, which will then be removed by rinsing with running water. Although as soap is mildly alkaline, it can cause dermatitis if used too frequently, as it is also emulsifying skin oils.

Soap works better with soft water than hard water. If there is a visible lather of soap on the surface of the hands, it's working as intended.

Hand sanitisers tend to leave a residue, and of course are far more expensive. In terms of effectiveness against bacteria and viruses, there's no difference between the two.

20 minutes ago, connda said:

Placebo Effect 101:

If you believe that hot water and soap are the best option for cleaning your hands, then soap and hot water will keep you safe.

If you believe that hand sanitizer is the best option for cleaning your hands, then hand sanitizer will keep you safe.

If you believe that one is more effective than the other, then the one you believe is the most effective will keep you safe.

Simple!

What about alcohol? Rubbing alcohol or Lao Khao? Not that I'm contemplating wasting my Lao Khao. Only one place to put that.

And EM? I've been fermenting it for years.

These viruses are so tiny. Best to allow the body's own defences deal with them.