Looking for "Real Coffee" in Thailand.

doggie1955

Keep in mind I mostly drink cappuccinos, but with that said ...

I think Amazon is fine. But at home I drink Doi Wiang coffee and that one is fine for me as well. https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Coffee-Shop/Doiwiang-Coffee-กาแฟดอยเวียง-ไชยปราการ-เชียงใหม่-812733558808565/?locale2=th_TH&__nodl&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&ref=external%3Awww.google.com&_rdr

Edited by wolf81

16 hours ago, rickudon said:

I don't drink much coffee, and most in rural Thailand is pretty awful. The most consistently good coffee i have found is made by Buddy Dean ......

A British philistine.

A good source of ? -  10gm sugar out of an 18gm serving

12 hours ago, rickudon said:

Actually bought some beans today from Makro, as on discount. Obviously i was poking a bit of fun at the coffee connoisseurs, but Buddy Dean is the best of the 3 in 1 coffees i have tasted. For one cup a day, not much point in having a coffee machine.

Now tea is a different case!

Wow - not worth drinking real coffee once per day? I couldn't imagine anything else at home - and Buddy Dean is certainly not a cheaper option.

I bought a cheap ceramic burr grinder for 2000 baht, then a cheap Electrolux dripper for about 1300 and so far that's supplied me with a minimum of 1 cup per day for maybe 4 years (after the power switch gave up on my last one).

I'd say it's better to hit 'grind' (mine does around 5-6 seconds) whilst putting 1 cup of water in a machine and have a fresh cup 2 minutes later than mixing up any kind of 3-in-1. The only time I will touch 3-in-1 is if 1. I can't get water hot enough to make tea or 2. I have no other options and I really must have a hot drink in the morning.

I went to the Nangnon coffee shop in Chiang Rai today that an earlier poster mentioned, and sure enough it has very high ratings on the tripadvisor type websites, so I was keen to try it out, and not without some anticipation.

It was a flop.

The usual drab, under enthusiastic service from the girl, and a shop totally devoid of any character or ambience.

After seeing the pictures of the wonderful food and snacks and cakes I was really ready for it.  All they had was some cheesecake and that chocolate thing that's so popular....brownies.

The location was 50 metres from the road in what was basically a car park.

I ordered a latte, came with a pretty bit of art in the milk, but not strong enough, and not hot enough.

Bought a bag of beans and f****ked off.

zuAIJQ9pnesMbfu-ycQZz5qPTuRyXpx5r-rSUobZJA9RAL9vsB4sYBZuBazhHI0FvP10gkXm3RWifOT9-x1CrXYKu2gjVL8NTQqn98xHMVWaVF1G1qWFjCajMjlTP02DXoveeSqB1bJUY428Kg_hhRj9hJUUumZNaWh7-aVBGc_bkyAeleWxix1YqS6uFi6gRo5CxcQLVto4gADgQjaeHwZr1cqK1NXyEw0OaH1rl46ZhbGPa034J8iR9aTyXN_Bqp9uoIV21AxWN_l-hCH648xZjjeMWkHJoYxJGXXPdq7-y_4duD1IrqYyRnXEQvmCtFk29aWSmXscua5sV_ifFIV-IHsNlnyYyH82oF6-yWtgC_tAqd_1_MmFig31On8Di4Y4U5TFHL_OvAXWLTs-MjLfTE39UbnuTmPoNuPZEWza5ZJsLvjJUPCiz7wfXpkRW_CyNCONmgv5fFh1f--M-Fp-rn4K-4xbnSa5DCX7dKZJY38e_R8IEnEKrTeaI_-Z8E-vkZJHP4XF71nf0QlJX3XY7YRRtxaDSZ9AlC0U_EgjZr_YIa3VReidSuDjj_SyCMrqPWQwRMf87N6LyhRPEa2yitF22qRMIgsVFNt6rgRZGJ8b2KpyBVC4QYNPSNnfmtQ80q59KfsVaG4UMUkmdTypT-dF0yDG2eNkIk-Atge_4HTj_-uZQndnjvZH=w847-h1129-no?authuser=0

Edited by OneeyedJohn
  • Haha 1

As a follow up I have used the beans at home for two days. What I make is an espresso and then froth 130 ml of milk to go on top. Not really a latte but similar to what I was offered in the shop. Some might call it a flat white.

Whatever, it tasted a whole bunch better than the <deleted> I got in the coffee shop.

I have a La Pavoni lever with an average grinder.

12 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

As a follow up I have used the beans at home for two days. What I make is an espresso and then froth 130 ml of milk to go on top. Not really a latte but similar to what I was offered in the shop. Some might call it a flat white.

Whatever, it tasted a whole bunch better than the <deleted> I got in the coffee shop.

I have a La Pavoni lever with an average grinder.

PM sent