Pattaya: Bars and clubs won't open despite bans ending

webfact

3 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

What percentage of domesticactivities in "the rest of Thailand", especially in the north east, are financed by liaisons which originated in Pattaya?

In the areas I've been probably 50%.

Where is Pattaya on that map (or any Thai map)? Maybe it's a little dot. And no, it's does not feed 50% of the north east.

map-of-thailand-vector-24282969.jpg

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, mr mr said:

look me in the eye and tell me that this government's response to the crisis has not been outstanding ? tip top. top shelf. a homerun. ????

I believe they did far better then in the west. So yes I think the harsh lockdown helped us. But now they are going to risk it all again by opening borders and opening entertainment area's.

Just opening the entertainment area's isnt that bad if they kept the borders locked down.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

What percentage of domestic activities in "the rest of Thailand", especially in the north east, are financed by liaisons which originated in Pattaya?

In the areas I've been probably 50%.

Thailands economy is very big. Do you really think that these amounts are important for Thailand? For some people yes. But not for Thailand. And Corona puts Thailand at risk. 

2 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

I absolutely think that Thais who met foreigners in Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai, many of whom have moved out of the country to earn a far better living than the farmers of the northeast ever could and send money back to families to educate them and otherwise support them has a huge impact on that vast area of the country. 

In the area where my wife is from not a single family rose above a hand to mouth existence at a poverty level except those who married a foreigner. 

They do for sure a great job for some families. But if you take the whole economy of Thailand these are very little amounts. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where is Pattaya on that map (or any Thai map)? Maybe it's a little dot. And no, it's does not feed 50% of the north east.

map-of-thailand-vector-24282969.jpg

As edited my original comment is more to the point. And if you're talking about land area as a quantifier of wealth the northeast must be the most wealthy region, right?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

As edited my original comment is more to the point. And if you're talking about land area as a quantifier of wealth the northeast must be the most wealthy region, right?

You seem to be totally missing the point, inflated with self importance.

Land area is not linked to wealth but it is linked to population size. To think that such a huge area is for 50% supported by Pattaya and foreigners from abroad is totally crazy.

According to wiki there are about 22 million people in the north east. To think that 50% of them are supported by foreigners.

You do the math.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

In Thailand it is certainly useless.

Look at the drivers, many think they are above the law,

some are.

I once read somewhere, they asked Thai people why they should wear a helmet when driving a motorbike,

the most common answer was =

"if you not wear a helmet, you will have to pay a fine if police catch you"

I was talking about corvid rules. Because if one part is not following them all get infected. So it makes no sense to follow any of them. 

As for driving without a helmet I dont mind people doing it as long as the guys in the cars that hit (and kill) them don't have to pay out if is proven its caused by not wearing an helmet. Let them kill themselves. I wear an helmet not for the police but for my safety. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Do you think that by now, Thai people realised and it dawned on them that basically without foreigners this country is pretty much back to being a farm and agriculture oriented country, no better than many other poor third world countries around the world.. and do you think that they will remember it when the good times comes rolling back?...

i think you greatly overestimate the effect of tourist expenditure in all but a few sectors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

I do as well, 

but not everyone does.

I was yesterday at Foodland Thonglor, there was a lady at the entry asking questions to the young lady doing the temperature,  and the Thaichana or writing on a list, check.

Quickly we were 4 persons waiting, the manager (I suppose ) came and told us we could enter without any check at all.

It is interesting, the amount of deaths in the UK, the subsiding of the death rate currently, I can now walk into my local UK supermarket, no checks,  I choose to wear a mask but one of about 5% who do, pubs re-open soon, UK seems to be moving quite quickly to restart the economy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Bit strange.. but point being why would we have to live do anything if bars are not going to do the same. Might as wel stop totally and let the virus take hold. 

yes.

exercise your own common sense, take your own precautions, and see what happens.

it is what is happening all over the country already, people are deciding when and where they are at risk and acting accordingly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Pattaya is part of Thailand but very different from the rest of Thailand. The rest of Thailand has lots of local bars and local customers. It might be difficult for some people to understand but Thailand if perfectly able to survive without Pattaya.

seems folks in pattaya have a very myopic view of the rest of the country.

Beyond know tourism dependent areas - the southern islands, Phuket, Pattaya, and to some extent sectors of Bangkok - the majority of income is not tourism based and venues have local clientele. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, n00dle said:

seems folks in pattaya have a very myopic view of the rest of the country.

Beyond know tourism dependent areas - the southern islands, Phuket, Pattaya, and to some extent sectors of Bangkok - the majority of income is not tourism based and venues have local clientele. 

Tourism accounts for 17% of Thailand's GDP. 

inbound2237371339629637756.jpg

7 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

BTW if 27,000 foreign husbands sent 8.67 billion to 27,000 wives that's 321, 000 baht per wife. Nice boost in wealth for a poor family. 

but it is only 27000 wives out of a population of 22 million, Even given that that money is being disbursed into the community it wont go far.

Just now, n00dle said:

but it is only 27000 wives out of a population of 22 million, Even given that that money is being disbursed into the community it wont go far.

It can have a mean the difference between having a good or bad education. 

It could be used to set up a small business or buy more farm land.

It could benefit the family for generations. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Do you think that by now, Thai people realised and it dawned on them that basically without foreigners this country is pretty much back to being a farm and agriculture oriented country, no better than many other poor third world countries around the world.. and do you think that they will remember it when the good times comes rolling back?...

If you look beyond the beer bar border, you'll realize that foreigners (as in tourists, mainly) account for some 20% of GDP, and that's including every single Chinese and Indian (and other, non-bar-visiting) tourist. There's quite a bit of industry chugging away in Thailand, not just rice fields...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

BTW if 27,000 foreign husbands sent 8.67 billion to 27,000 wives that's 321,000 baht per wife. Nice boost in wealth for a poor family. 

If spent wisely it could have a major impact on the family for generations. 

You were saying 50% of the wealth in the north east. That is not the same thing. You need to spread it out over 22 million. You are truly without a clue.