Thai authorities mull visa amnesty rules after July 31

rooster59

22 minutes ago, newnative said:

Thanks but I was asking not about 90 day extensions but about reporting that I still had 400,000 baht in my bank account. There was a requirement that you have to return in 90 days after your yearly extension to show you still have the money in the account--I use the 800,000 baht method.  I was wondering if this requirement had been suspended with the covid situation.  

the 3 months after report is to show 800k not 400k after that you must maintain 400k for 7 months then show 800k 2 months before and 3 months after renewal

so it goes like this 800k 2 months - renewal - 800k 3 months - 400k 7 months = 12 months

3 hours ago, MadMac said:

There are at least 7 airlines flying regularly to Europe alone, some daily. LH flies 3x a week. So there is no excuse for people to go home or pay for overstay. I know there are quite a number playing the game until it ends. Particularly on the islands, they don't want to go home. Why should Thailand accomodate them any longer whereas the rest of us jumps through the immigration firerings and pays up.

I agree! Although I'm sure anyone can come up with a reason to not go home the reality things are opening and if the end comes it comes if you want to stay do what has to be done fill out the form pay the fee like the rest of us. There are flights based on how the Thai operate I'm surprise they came to their senses and granted the extension. It really isn't that hard when the lockdown ended in Pattaya on Sukhumvit I had until end of July to do a 90 day, two days after I just went down after failed attempt online took less that 5 minutes.

17 minutes ago, MadMac said:

I'd suggest you try reading from the beginning. Perhaps your local IO does not do it, CM and CW do,

has your extension expired ?

if so would it not have been best just to renew it when it was due - two reasons for this - removal of any doubt - Offices were quiet for the last 8 weeks 

Mine is due in Sept so not affected but if it had been due in May or June I 100% would have renewed it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smedly said:

has your extension expired ?

No, I did it in due time. As I changed from Thai wife to retirement they still wanted to have a KR22 form from the Amphoe (proof of marriage for the last year).

And as I had to go there and get this, they clearly told me, 2 persons independently, in very clear simple words, that I have time till 31st July to renew my extension. That was in Chiang Mai.

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

the 3 months after report is to show 800k not 400k after that you must maintain 400k for 7 months then show 800k 2 months before and 3 months after renewal

so it goes like this 800k 2 months - renewal - 800k 3 months - 400k 7 months = 12 months

Thanks so much.  I guess to be on the safe side I  will go back in 90 days from my extension and show them I still have the 800,000 in the bank.  

I went to my local Immigration Office for 90 day report ... good excuse to

go to the big city.... My extension expires in 2 weeks... I was told specifically by the Immigration Officer remember you need to come back and renew your Retirement extension in two weeks. ... 

no amnesty....

45 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Your last sentence clarified the YES/NO discussion.  From what you write the stance of CM IO is clear > you can apply there for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O Visa after the due date has expired and till the end of the Amnesty.  But some other IOs stated when being asked that due to the Amnesty there won't be any fines involved if you let your 1-year extension of stay due date slip.  However, if you did so tShat you would not be able to do it anymore and would have to leave the country (which would force you to apply for a new Visa from scratch again).

So, enquiring at your local IO is recommended in order not to be taken by surprise.

Absolutely! Having to leave the country would be a nightmare scenario right now. It's a no-brainer. Get the extension at the usual time and don't take any risks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

Thanks so much.  I guess to be on the safe side I  will go back in 90 days from my extension and show them I still have the 800,000 in the bank.  

In the majority of thai IO's that bank-balance check after 3 months is NOT required.  It are only a couple of rogue IOs (like Jomtien & SriRacha, UdonThani and PathumThani) that require it.

If your IO when you renewed your 1-year extension of stay using the money-in-bank method did not provide you with an 'invitation' document and appointment date that you need to report there for the 800K bank-balance check it is not required.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

You begrudge people staying here on the Visa amnesty , because you had to go through the hoops to get a long term Visa and they didnt and you think thats unfair ?

I want to stay in Thailand and I dont want to go back to my own Country , Thailand wants me here as well . 

If you dont want me here.................I can live with that 

Nope, just stating simple facts. Nobody needs to risk overstay, there are enough flights out available.

If you want to stay long-term you should follow rules and procedures in place as everybody else.

Edited by MadMac

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Who told you so?

A bloke named common sense.

Perhaps a member that has renewed his extension post it's until date durning amnesty can give the definitive. 

Excluding changing from one based on say marriage to based on retirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Who told you so?

Really? Not even knowing the simplest facts? A renewed extension is always valid for the exact time frame as the previous one, starting from the first date granted. So if you got your first one today and get it renewed next year 2 weeks earlier, they will both expire at 26 June the year after.

Edited by MadMac

There are still quite a number playing the game until it ends, particularly on the islands, who have no intention to go home. And certainly these are not the high roller quality tourists Thailand is eying. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thai authorities mull visa amnesty rules after July 31

I did my 90 day report as Usual and going to do my Extension at the end of August as Usual. 

Then No Stampede at Immigration. Sweet As.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, you posted that four hours ago in this thread .

Why do we bother you so much ?

You don't, enjoy your time. Will be over soon enough ????

5 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Really? Not even knowing the simplest facts? A renewed extension is always valid for the exact time frame as the previous one, starting from the first date granted. So if you got your first one today and get it renewed next year 2 weeks earlier, they will both expire at 26 June the year after.

I'm aware that this is how it's usually handled. According to the info graphic in OP as well as on the immigration website we are automatically extended until 31st July, so if they would do it as you just described, every extension which is applied for now should start at 31st July.

Obviously this would cause problems in July 2021 because there would be too many applicants to handle, thus they didn't stick to how they usually do it and chose to extend starting from the last yearly extension.

• Like 1

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

have told you , I dont want to go home , so, no need to look for flights

A lot of folk don't want to go home. 

I sometimes told mummy,  "l don't want to go to school. I feel sick".....never worked.

Don't look for flights. Dig your heels in. Let us know how it works out for you.

Plan A in my life has never worked without plan B, C ,D ........

• Thanks 1

If you had a previous extension, the renewed one will be backdated to the exact same day. Same is the case for marriage where you get the one month under consideraton. Extension date will also be backdated. If you come earlier, you also get the some previous date stamped.

6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I have told you , I dont want to go home , so, no need to look for flights .

Just before the amnesty was announced , A Thai Gov official (part of the meeting) stated that it would be better to keep foreigners here in Thailand as we would help local economies .

I dont have a link, I just remember her saying that  

I understand you like to stay in Thailand and not fly back home.

And when land-borders open for sure there will be options to do that.

But in case they are NOT open (or impose draconian quarantaine measures or covid-19 insurance) it would be wise to already have a fall-back plan before the amnesty is over (31 July unless it will be prolonged, which is not likely).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I understand you like to stay in Thailand and not fly back home.

And when land-borders open for sure there will be options to do that.

But in case they are NOT open (or impose draconian quarantaine measures or covid-19 insurance) it would be wise to already have a fall-back plan before the amnesty is over (31 July unless it will be prolonged, which is not likely).

Why worry, something always turns up.

Worst case, 25k to a VISA agent for a retirement extension, not the end of the world.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is nothing to be gained from waiting until 31 July when Immigration may be packed and it may not even be possible to do one.

I'm thinking another 2 months free amnesty might be gained.

Or the land borders might open and I can get another 90 days on my non-o.

Edited by BritManToo