Thai authorities mull visa amnesty rules after July 31

rooster59

52 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Your opinion is correct.  The amnesty is for those who are stuck in Thailand and cannot leave to go home or to generate another entry into Thailand.  Those who live here on Extensions are unaffected as they can, and should, extend as normal when their Extension is due.  If they choose not to do this, they are not overstaying, but they will need to do it before the amnesty ends and they run the risk of the extension being denied if they get their timing wrong.  You did exactly the right thing.

In case it helps, SuratThani Immigration have confirmed to me that it will be perfectly acceptable to apply for a tourist visa extension or any other extension on 31st July as long as 1st application for extension as per usual rules. In my case, and my query, having entered Thailand on a Tourist visa in February and with my Thai Wife here with me, would it be fine to apply for 60day visit Thai wife visa extension on 31st July to receive another 60days and the answer was yes, unless amnesty is extended and then I must wait until true end date of amnesty and apply then. So all good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NB1986 said:

Many people who wanted go back to their countries could go they cannot say they couldnt i was just watching yesterday in Germany people started receiving bills from government which helped them return to Germany, from Asia it was 600-700 euro and from NZ and Australia 1000 euro...while people who want visit their families they cannot come others abusing system and after when there will be only one extension of 30 days from 31 st july people will start to rush on airports home. 

Can I call you John Snow???

32 minutes ago, justsomedj said:

In case it helps, SuratThani Immigration have confirmed to me that it will be perfectly acceptable to apply for a tourist visa extension or any other extension on 31st July as long as 1st application for extension as per usual rules. In my case, and my query, having entered Thailand on a Tourist visa in February and with my Thai Wife here with me, would it be fine to apply for 60day visit Thai wife visa extension on 31st July to receive another 60days and the answer was yes, unless amnesty is extended and then I must wait until true end date of amnesty and apply then. So all good.

Yes. Let's say amnesty confirmed end date (whenever that be) you need attend imm office and apply for 60 day extension based on visit wife. I suggest you leave it until last several days prior to July 31.

Check if amnesty extended.

Good luck buddy

• Like 1

I asked same question during last visit to Thai Immigration. Volunteers said " we only allow 40 people at a time". I asked how many people are being serviced by local immigration office. They answered "We don't have a clue". Suspect big problems with over loading system which will take some time to work out.

2 minutes ago, rucker4012 said:

I asked same question during last visit to Thai Immigration. Volunteers said " we only allow 40 people at a time". I asked how many people are being serviced by local immigration office. They answered "We don't have a clue". Suspect big problems with over loading system which will take some time to work out.

Go home.

10 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

my friend is still out there because of the virus and the flight cost too.a few others too.looks like august they will asking questions what do i do now

What do you mean. Forget about flying into Thailand for some time. Even if possible there maybe expensive costs

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What do you mean. Forget about flying into Thailand for some time. Even if possible there maybe expensive costs

Chances are flights get more expensive with the amnesty ending and CAAT still not opening up scheduled commercial flights. Then you have a lot of people need to leave and only a few seats left. So it's a bit of gamble if you are already at the limit with your permits.

6 hours ago, MadMac said:

What is so difficult to understand with the direct, clear, simple word of the local immigration, that extensions of stay are covered under the amnesty?!

Did you get it in writing,with official stamp and signed ?, different Immigration officers,different Immigration offices,

all have their own way of interpreting the rules.That's why I did my retirement extension in May,and still do my 90 day

reports,does not give them any excuse to find fault and maybe fine me,

Why wait till after 31 July or will it be end September,when all immigration offices are going to be pandemonium,

not busy at all when i did it at Chiang Mai.nothing to worry about till next May.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Why wait till after 31 July or will it be end September,when all immigration offices are going to be pandemonium,

That was not the point at all, It was simply about the false information in the very first posting that extensions of stay would be excluded. Has been explained multiple times now here in this thread, so please feel free to read it.

2 minutes ago, MadMac said:

That was not the point at all, It was simply about the false information in the very first posting that extensions of stay would be excluded. Has been explained multiple times now here in this thread, so please feel free to read it.

So you are 100 % sure all extensions are excluded until at least 31 st July,

based on the words of one Immigration officer at Chiang Mai Immigration ?

OK, but pleased I did mine and did not wait.

regards worgeordie

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

So you are 100 % sure all extensions are excluded until at least 31 st July,

based on the words of one Immigration officer at Chiang Mai Immigration ?

OK, but pleased I did mine and did not wait.

regards worgeordie

Again, feel free to read it. Or live on whatever you read in forums from people who always know better. Waste of my time. And yes, I did my extension at due date. You can read that also here ????

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

A lot of folk don't want to go home. 

I sometimes told mummy,  "l don't want to go to school. I feel sick".....never worked.

Don't look for flights. Dig your heels in. Let us know how it works out for you.

Plan A in my life has never worked without plan B, C ,D ........

Did you also tell your mommy "Mummy its not fair , how come I need to get a piece of paper and some of the other kids dont..................its not fair "

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Publicly, Thai authorities are tight-lipped about what may happen afterwards.

That depends entirely on flight availability after July, if no flights the amnesty must continue.... as the PM is so concerned about social distancing and a 2nd wave !!

20 hours ago, MadMac said:

Nope, I just changed from marriage to retirment and was told from immigration that it is not necessary until 31st July. First hand information, no bubbles from Pattaya newspaper.

However, when I called 1178 to ask that very question I was told “if you want to stay past July 31 you must renew your extension when due. “

16 hours ago, MadMac said:

Nope, just stating simple facts. Nobody needs to risk overstay, there are enough flights out available.

If you want to stay long-term you should follow rules and procedures in place as everybody else.

We have been given an amnesty up until July 31 st , which means we are not overstaying 

16 hours ago, MadMac said:

Really? Not even knowing the simplest facts? A renewed extension is always valid for the exact time frame as the previous one, starting from the first date granted. So if you got your first one today and get it renewed next year 2 weeks earlier, they will both expire at 26 June the year after.

Only the simple minded would think that facts are ever simple. The problem is that most view the situation from their own perspective which leads to a biased opinion. There is no clear indication of the correct interpretation but if all scenarios are considered then it would be highly unlikely that immigration would allow 12 month extensions to be extended under the amnesty.

Take for example a marriage extension based on income that expired early May. If that was allowed to run on until August what would the IO be looking for in the way of transactions, 12 months or 15 months, if only 12 months would that mean he was prepared to overlook discrepancies during the first 3 months of the previous extension. Very unlikely immigration would be looking to intentionally create problems for themselves unnecessarily.

Nothing is ever simple.

21 hours ago, MadMac said:

There are at least 7 airlines flying regularly to Europe alone, some daily. LH flies 3x a week. So there is no excuse for people to go home or pay for overstay. I know there are quite a number playing the game until it ends. Particularly on the islands, they don't want to go home. Why should Thailand accomodate them any longer whereas the rest of us jumps through the immigration firerings and pays up.

The problem is not so much getting out. Although I'm still waiting for the full refund confirmed as due to me in 15-21 days on the flight out I had on 1 May that was cancelled so I can book with an airline operating these outgoing flights. The problem is getting back in and when allowed in on what conditions. 

I am in Thailand with my Thai wife. I came in  after 5 months out,  on a non O multi, my third entry on it,  and got 90 days permission, during that time my visa validity ended. So leaving means a new one to come back. I extended by the permitted 60 days..that expired on 9 June. I can't get a 1 year extension in Thailand as I don't meet the financials, neither monthly income and proof of source my IO require, nor money in the bank which needs 2 months seasoning before application anyway. Not surprisingly as I wasn't planning on seeking the 1 year marriage extension but getting a new non O but I can't go over to Savanakhet to get one.

I assume I benefit from the amnesty ( my IO didn't say I wasn't when I referenced the amnesty expiry currently being earlier than the date I could apply for a money in the bank 1 year extension due to seasoning) and now will have to start over with a visa exempt entry if I can't get to Laos and back soon when I return or a new non O obtained in France.  But when?, will they still permit visa exempt entries? For whom? I am a British passport holder but French resident and would be retuning from France, which might complicate that!

Although I'm content here, I never planned to be here this long and things are beginning to require my attention back in France after 6 months away. And my wife has a Schengen family visa to accompany me as she often does, but that expires early August and cannot be extended. She must apply again....when France starts issuing visas again. Any further applicable amnesty extension would only help on that if France does start issuing visas again.

So now we have decided to get out whilst she can still get in to France.

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Go home.

Not going home and sitting my ass in the sun with visa amnesty. Hope they extend it so I can stay a little bit more for free ????????????

Edited by Sundown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

The problem is not so much getting out. Although I'm still waiting for the full refund confirmed as due to me in 15-21 days on the flight out I had on 1 May that was cancelled so I can book with an airline operating these outgoing flights. The problem is getting back in and when allowed in on what conditions. 

I am in Thailand with my Thai wife. I came in  after 5 months out,  on a non O multi, my third entry on it,  and got 90 days permission, during that time my visa validity ended. So leaving means a new one to come back. I extended by the permitted 60 days..that expired on 9 June. I can't get a 1 year extension in Thailand as I don't meet the financials, neither monthly income and proof of source my IO require, nor money in the bank which needs 2 months seasoning before application anyway. Not surprisingly as I wasn't planning on seeking the 1 year marriage extension but getting a new non O but I can't go over to Savanakhet to get one.

I assume I benefit from the amnesty ( my IO didn't say I wasn't when I referenced the amnesty expiry currently being earlier than the date I could apply for a money in the bank 1 year extension due to seasoning) and now will have to start over with a visa exempt entry if I can't get to Laos and back soon when I return or a new non O obtained in France.  But when?, will they still permit visa exempt entries? For whom? I am a British passport holder but French resident and would be retuning from France, which might complicate that!

Although I'm content here, I never planned to be here this long and things are beginning to require my attention back in France after 6 months away. And my wife has a Schengen family visa to accompany me as she often does, but that expires early August and cannot be extended. She must apply again....when France starts issuing visas again. Any further applicable amnesty extension would only help on that if France does start issuing visas again.

So now we have decided to get out whilst she can still get in to France.

Yes, in your situation it certainly looks that returning to France with your wife by end of July would be your best option.

Since EU+ countries are reopening and Thailand being on the list of countries with no restrictions to re-enter EU, that should normally not be a problem.

See link to thread >

Note: It is not your nationality that determines whether you are allowed to enter EU+ (apart from the Visa requirements), but the country where you are embarking on the flight and have stayed.

Edited by Peter Denis

Any word on METV? It expires in late Sept. The initial plan was to border run for another 2mos in Sept and extend that 1 month to get me to Dec. but now I’m here on amnesty. Also what are my chances of changing my METV to Non-O guardian without going back to my home country? I’m parent to a half Thai child who’s enrolled in school already. Thanks I know there’s no concrete answers but any guesses? I’m in Chiang Mai 

33 minutes ago, globerunner4 said:

Any word on METV? It expires in late Sept. The initial plan was to border run for another 2mos in Sept and extend that 1 month to get me to Dec. but now I’m here on amnesty. Also what are my chances of changing my METV to Non-O guardian without going back to my home country? I’m parent to a half Thai child who’s enrolled in school already. Thanks I know there’s no concrete answers but any guesses? I’m in Chiang Mai 

Your METV is valid till end September, but the 2-month permission to stay on which you entered Thailand has been extended till 31 July because of the Amnesty.  But this means that normally you would have to leave the country by end of the Amnesty, and even with the landborders open again that might invoke quarantaine-measures or mandatory covid-insurance.

But luckily you are the parent of a dependant child, so you can apply at your local IO for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your dependant child.  That 60-day extension of stay will start from the day of application, so best to do that just before the Amnesty will end, which will give you time till end of September.  Hopefully by then the border-situation will have normalized, so that you can do a border-run before your METV expires, which will allow you a permission to stay till end of November.  And that one can once again be extended by 30-days at your local IO taking you to end December.  After that you could once again apply for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your dependant child (you can apply once per entry), which will take you till end of February 2021.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sundown said:

Not going home and sitting my ass in the sun with visa amnesty. Hope they extend it so I can stay a little bit more for free ????????????

Hell ya!

Some of us didn't come to Thailand to be a bootlicker!