Thai authorities mull visa amnesty rules after July 31

rooster59

14 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That´s just how I´ve read it. ???? 

It does not matter what you read how and where. The only thing that matters is what your local immigration office is telling you. So go there and ask them. Simple.

For Chiang Mai the answer is that extensions can be renewed till 31st July. In other provinces this may be different. 

38 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Again, that is not what CM immigration said. They very clearly and unmistakenly explained to me that I could RENEW my extension before 31st July. 

Correct.  Renew your Extension when it expires.  There is no advantage in waiting until 31 July as you won't gain any extra time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Why not just grant honorary Thai citizenship to all those hardy farang souls who've braved the virus in the Land of Smiles?

That means you probably would have to give up your previous one. Sure you want this? Well, at least you get 30B healthcare. If you want that too ???? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

Extensions of stay are covered. This is direct information out of the mouth of Chiang Mai immigration.

Maybe so, but what does the other IO say?  No doubt something different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

Pretty pathetic to see on a website/forum called THAI VISA  - nobody has a frickin' clue as to the state of people's visa status under the current immigration rules.

What a laugh!

Welcome to Thailand ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:

The officer said I could wait until the end of the amnesty (31 July) but suggested doing it before if possible, as things at immigration would be crazy after the amnesty.

Thanks, so it is confirmed now for Chaeng Wattana and Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Then.....just as they make up their minds , the second wave really kicks off and it's back to the drawing board.

I think you're bang on there.  I think that 2020 was the precursor to some really awful sh*t that's going to hit the fan in 2021 due to a massive economic collapse across the globe.

Enjoy the relative peace and quiet and any work you might have right now, because sh*ts about to get real. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why should it, you can renew your extension in the country.

There are many expats with marriage/retirement visa's that were out of Thailand

and can't get back to renew their extensions before they expire. That's why.

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic but I did my yearly extension in June using the 800,000 baht method.  I wasn't paying enough attention at the time but I just realized that I wasn't given the slip of paper telling me to report back in 90 days showing my bank book still has 400,000 baht in it.  Does anyone know if reporting back on this is still required with the covid situation?  I use Jomtien Immigration.  Thanks.  

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

Slightly off-topic but I did my yearly extension in June using the 800,000 baht method.  I wasn't paying enough attention at the time but I just realized that I wasn't given the slip of paper telling me to report back in 90 days showing my bank book still has 400,000 baht in it.  Does anyone know if reporting back on this is still required with the covid situation?  I use Jomtien Immigration.  Thanks.  

If they extend the amnesty till September, which I think it is unlikely but could happen, then there is no need for 90 days reporting. I however suggest you still do it, try online, takes 5 mins. Same as the TM30 they say is not needed anymore, just until they need it again and then you are in potential trouble.

Also be careful, 90 days and extensions do run onseparate timeframes, it is not 90 days from your extension (unless it is the first one) but the time since your last 90 days or the date you entered the country.

Edited by MadMac
  • Like 1

I haven't heard of anyone not getting their extension renewed because they didn't go back after 90 days but personally I would do it anyways. When your 90 days are up, update your passbook and go in. Explain that you can't find the paper about the bank book and get them to give you a new one.

Unless of course you are hoping you'll get away with taking the money out sooner in the hopes they won't notice.

Which they will, next year, when they look at your bankbook and see the balance and when any money was withdrawn from the account.

Your choice.

2 minutes ago, MadMac said:

If they extend the amnesty till September, which I think it is unlikely but could happen, then there is no need for 90 days reporting. I however suggest you still do it, try online, takes 5 mins. Same as the TM30 they say is not needed anymore, just until they need it again and then you are in potential trouble.

He is referring to the requirement to go back after 90 days and show an updated bank book proving you've kept the money in the account for the required period.

27 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

Pretty pathetic to see on a website/forum called THAI VISA  - nobody has a frickin' clue as to the state of people's visa status under the current immigration rules.

What a laugh!

I've very clear on mine - pop into immigration every November for a 1 year extension.

Do reports every 90 days or pay an additional 2000 Baht when I extend in November

Simple

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

similar to talking to your bank, which in reality is someone on a computer in India.

Why you use a bank in India, no surprise that you run into issues with Thai immigration ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Total Chaos looming on August 1st methinks !

Especially as it's a Saturday and they'll be closed!

My 90 day stamp was due at the end of this month, so I phoned my local Immigration Office to check that they were "singing from the same hymnbook" as Immigration Head Office, and was told to come a few days before July 31st as "they were going to be very busy"! 

Edited by sambum
Grammar
  • Haha 2