Thai authorities mull visa amnesty rules after July 31

rooster59

My tourist visa was up on the 14th of May so i went down to Chaengwattana just to see if i could or should extend my visa with the usual 1900 bht for another month bringing me safely up to the 13th of June when i presumed i'd be able to leave the country. I was surprised and pleased that the immigration people had a look at my passport and said that there was no need for an extension and that i was alright up to the 31st of July....... Marvelous news as i was dreading getting into the airport or onto a border and some Somchai demanding a shed load of overstay...... 

Anyway hopefully all will be well. Unfortunately i don't think things will be as easy getting back into Thailand under the "Case by case" threat of I'm A Nutin farang hater......... I console myself in the fact that i've got a place and a job in Malaysia now so i'll just sit back and wait....... This lot are just like dog doo, wet and sticky initially, but they'll dry up and blow away eventually..... The general feeling with the people is they've overstayed their welcome .......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A lot of folk don't want to go home. 

I sometimes told mummy,  "l don't want to go to school. I feel sick".....never worked.

Don't look for flights. Dig your heels in. Let us know how it works out for you.

Plan A in my life has never worked without plan B, C ,D ........

Yes, but I am not talking about your discussions with your mummy .

I shall wait and see what happens and then decide what to do then .

I can get all my possessions into a bag in Thailand , go online and book the next available flight and be home within 24 hours , I am quite flexible

Edited by CorpusChristie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm thinking another 2 months free amnesty might be gained.

Or the land borders might open and I can get another 90 days on my non-o.

If the land borders do not re-open, then I expect the amnesty will be extended.  Hopefully they will and you, and thousands of others, can get another 90-day entry.  We should know early next week.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why wouldn't it?  It's been made perfectly clear that Extensions of Stay are unaffected (other than there being no fine or overstay if you leave it until 31 July).

Because there are certain situations where this would cause problems.

Let's say somebody entered Thailand visa exempt in March, got an extension in April, was allowed until May and is now still here.

Maybe at 31st July there is no way for him to fly back home and he gets a letter from his embassy for a 30 day extensions: Following DrJack's logic, immigration grants him 30 days starting from his last extension, thus allowing him to stay until June, which is 2 months in the past?

Could also be somebody who is married to a Thai and who let his yearly extension expire in May. If he applies for a 60 day extension to visit his wife on 31st July, they will grant him 60 days starting from May?

5 hours ago, thequietman said:

I think that you will find it doesn't.  If you have a marriage or retirement extension, you need to renew when it is due. ????

But not 90 day reports, none required until 31st July as it stands at the moment.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Because there are certain situations where this would cause problems.

Let's say somebody entered Thailand visa exempt in March, got an extension in April, was allowed until May and is now still here.

Maybe at 31st July there is no way for him to fly back home and he gets a letter from his embassy for a 30 day extensions: Following DrJack's logic, immigration grants him 30 days starting from his last extension, thus allowing him to stay until June, which is 2 months in the past?

Could also be somebody who is married to a Thai and who let his yearly extension expire in May. If he applies for a 60 day extension to visit his wife on 31st July, they will grant him 60 days starting from May?

If someone entered on a 30-day exempt and is now on the amnesty, they need to leave Thailand before 31 July.  Unless the amnesty is extended, which it most likely will if there are no flights, they will be on overstay from 1 August.

If someone had a marriage extension and let it expire, they will need to leave Thailand before 31 July and get a new visa.  They should go to Immigration now and try to get another Extension.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If someone entered on a 30-day exempt and is now on the amnesty, they need to leave Thailand before 31 July.  Unless the amnesty is extended, which it most likely will if there are no flights, they will be on overstay from 1 August.

Amnesty is mainly for Burmese/Cambodian/Malay labourers, they don't fly anywhere.

As another poster has suggested, amnesty is more about land borders open or not.

You do understand there's 100 of them for every white foreigner in Thailand, don't you?

Edited by BritManToo

58 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

In the majority of thai IO's that bank-balance check after 3 months is NOT required.  It are only a couple of rogue IOs (like Jomtien & SriRacha, UdonThani and PathumThani) that require it.

If your IO when you renewed your 1-year extension of stay using the money-in-bank method did not provide you with an 'invitation' document and appointment date that you need to report there for the 800K bank-balance check it is not required.

Thanks so much!

Those that claim that you must do your extension renewals at the correct time or you are on overstay. YOU ARE WRONG, yearly extensions are covered by the amnesty but the Immigration Bureau advises anyone that wants to do their renewal can do so because the immigration offices will be empty and the process will be quicker, but you do not have to because you are covered by the amnesty.

IMG_6613.jpg

IMG_6614.jpg

COVID-19 Thailand Visa Amnesty/Extension

What is a visa amnesty?

It is the visa relief or automatic visa extension for all foreign nationals staying in Thailand affected by the COVID-19 crisis as announced by the government on April 7, 2020 and the extension was announced on April 24, 2020.

Who are covered by the visa amnesty?

All foreign nationals who are legally staying in Thailand whether you are here on visa exemption entry stamps, tourist visa, non-immigrant visas or yearly extension of stays.

What are the current implementing rules regarding the visa amnesty?

• Visas or permit to stay that have expired from March 26 onward will be automatically extended to July 31.
  • Foreigners will not be charged 500 baht per day for overstaying their visa or permit to stay.
  • Foreigners who are due to file their 90-day address notification, between March 26 and July 31, are also temporarily exempted.
  • Foreigners are no longer required to apply in person for an extension at an immigration office.
  • Foreigners holding a long term visa such as working visa, marriage visa or retirement are encouraged if not required to apply for their yearly extension at the immigration office at their own risk. This might be a good time to do these visa renewals since most immigration offices will be almost empty during this period.
  • Foreigners do not need any embassy letter to be granted the automatic visa extension.
  • Foreigners with border passes will be allowed to stay in Thailand for now but will be required to leave Thailand within 7 days once the borders are opened again.

Is the visa extension free of charge?

Yes, the automatic extension of the visa or permit to stay until July 31 is free of charge. However, those who applied for the visa extension from March 26 to April 8, if you have paid for the 1,900 Thai baht immigration fee or even the overstay penalty, that fee is non-refundable. The visa amnesty was enacted and came into law effective on April 9th, therefore it was not covered back then.

Will the visa amnesty be extended?

The validity of the visa amnesty relies on the effectivity of the emergency decree declared by the government. Should the government extend the emergency decree, the visa amnesty will be extended as well.

What will happen when the visa amnesty is lifted or not extended anymore?

When the situation is resolved and returns to normal, foreigners must leave Thailand on the specified date or they must apply for the proper visa extension within the specified period. Foreigners are also required to do the 90-day reporting within the specified date. Those who fail to comply with these requirements will be strictly prosecuted according to the laws.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MadMac said:

You don't, enjoy your time. Will be over soon enough ????

I am really not desperate to stay in Thailand .

I am able to get a long term visa if I want one .

I have made enquiries and its possible .

I just need to make my mind up about whether I want to stay in Thailand or not .

As the pollution seems to getting worse and worse and lasting longer and longer , I quite probably wont be taking up the option of getting a long term visa .

I do understand some peoples animosity , they went through all the hoops to get a retirement visa and others are staying here visa free , that must cause some pain to people 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadMac said:

It does not matter what you read how and where. The only thing that matters is what your local immigration office is telling you. So go there and ask them. Simple.

For Chiang Mai the answer is that extensions can be renewed till 31st July. In other provinces this may be different. 

Yes, it does. Very much so! Yep, CM Immigration office has said that before the immigration head office and the government have made a decision about it. Very professional. Let´s see how that pans out. Good Luck! 

2 hours ago, MadMac said:

What is so difficult to understand with the direct, clear, simple word of the local immigration, that extensions of stay are covered under the amnesty?!

It is very easy for us to understand, but when an individual IO decides to use his "discretion" you

never know.

18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If someone had a marriage extension and let it expire, they will need to leave Thailand before 31 July and get a new visa.  They should go to Immigration now and try to get another Extension.

You are wrong. They will have 7 days to leave Thailand after the amnesty is lifted. They do not have to leave before.

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Amnesty is mainly for Burmese/Cambodian/Malay labourers, they don't fly anywhere.

As another poster has suggested, amnesty is more about land borders open or not.

You do understand there's 100 of them for every white foreigner in Thailand, don't you?

Absolutely.  In fact, there have been a significant number of migrant workers already allowed back into Laos and Myanmar.  But this thread is not really about them, unless you think migrant workers are avid TV readers!

5 hours ago, MadMac said:

That's not correct, it also includes Extensions of Stay.

It does not include 1 year extensions. A person with a 1 year extension is not stranded in Thailand,hence not affected by the coronavirus. So why do a long stayer need an amnesty? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Those that claim that you must do your extension renewals at the correct time or you are on overstay. YOU ARE WRONG, yearly extensions are covered by the amnesty but the Immigration Bureau advises anyone that wants to do their renewal can do so because the immigration offices will be empty and the process will be quicker, but you do not have to because you are covered by the amnesty.

IMG_6613.jpg

IMG_6614.jpg

COVID-19 Thailand Visa Amnesty/Extension

What is a visa amnesty?

It is the visa relief or automatic visa extension for all foreign nationals staying in Thailand affected by the COVID-19 crisis as announced by the government on April 7, 2020 and the extension was announced on April 24, 2020.

Who are covered by the visa amnesty?

All foreign nationals who are legally staying in Thailand whether you are here on visa exemption entry stamps, tourist visa, non-immigrant visas or yearly extension of stays.

What are the current implementing rules regarding the visa amnesty?

• Visas or permit to stay that have expired from March 26 onward will be automatically extended to July 31.
  • Foreigners will not be charged 500 baht per day for overstaying their visa or permit to stay.
  • Foreigners who are due to file their 90-day address notification, between March 26 and July 31, are also temporarily exempted.
  • Foreigners are no longer required to apply in person for an extension at an immigration office.
  • Foreigners holding a long term visa such as working visa, marriage visa or retirement are encouraged if not required to apply for their yearly extension at the immigration office at their own risk. This might be a good time to do these visa renewals since most immigration offices will be almost empty during this period.
  • Foreigners do not need any embassy letter to be granted the automatic visa extension.
  • Foreigners with border passes will be allowed to stay in Thailand for now but will be required to leave Thailand within 7 days once the borders are opened again.

Is the visa extension free of charge?

Yes, the automatic extension of the visa or permit to stay until July 31 is free of charge. However, those who applied for the visa extension from March 26 to April 8, if you have paid for the 1,900 Thai baht immigration fee or even the overstay penalty, that fee is non-refundable. The visa amnesty was enacted and came into law effective on April 9th, therefore it was not covered back then.

Will the visa amnesty be extended?

The validity of the visa amnesty relies on the effectivity of the emergency decree declared by the government. Should the government extend the emergency decree, the visa amnesty will be extended as well.

What will happen when the visa amnesty is lifted or not extended anymore?

When the situation is resolved and returns to normal, foreigners must leave Thailand on the specified date or they must apply for the proper visa extension within the specified period. Foreigners are also required to do the 90-day reporting within the specified date. Those who fail to comply with these requirements will be strictly prosecuted according to the laws.

No need to post that again.  The thread is very clear, and it's not clear what source you are using for the Q&A.

28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

An application for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife/dependant child will start from the day of application.  Since you can only do such application ONCE per entry, it is best to wait for doing it until the Amnesty is almost over (31 July as it stands now), and that would provide the applicant a permission to stay till end of September.

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You are wrong. They will have 7 days to leave Thailand after the amnesty is lifted. They do not have to leave before.

Migrant workers have 7 days to leave the country when the borders are open. It doesn't apply to stranded foreigners. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MadMac said:

That's not correct, it also includes Extensions of Stay.

Really?

I asked that question previously and some believe that it is just a glorified TR.

(Im stranded in Australia but have retirement extension until end of January 2021)

Does my extension of stay and attached re entry stamp also get extended?

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Migrant workers have 7 days to leave the country when the borders are open. It doesn't apply to stranded foreigners. 

It will be interesting to see how much time, if any, they give tourists and other non-border pass holders to leave once the amnesty ends.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Really?

I asked that question previously and some believe that it is just a glorified TR.

(Im stranded in Australia but have retirement extension until end of January 2021)

No, you don't need an amnesty as you're not stuck in Thailand.  Your Extension and Re-entry permit are still good until end of January 2021.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Actually the 7 days only refers to border-pass holders (i.e. migrant workers from neighbouring countries).  Nothing has been said yet about what will happen after 31 July to tourists and other visa holders covered by the amnesty.  Until otherwise stated, the amnesty ends on 31 July.

3 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

You have a re-entry permit, so when you are able to return to Thailand before your present permission to stay (end of January 2021) expires, you will be able to apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  Such application does however require 2 months of seasoning of 800K on a personal thai bank account before application date, or alternatively at least two monthly transfers of 65K in the 2 months preceding your application.

If you are not able to return to Thailand before end of January 2021 your permission to stay will have expired, and you would either have to apply for a new Visa in Australia, or return VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa and apply for a new Non Imm O Visa in-country.

• Like 2

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Actually the 7 days only refers to border-pass holders (i.e. migrant workers from neighbouring countries).  Nothing has been said yet about what will happen after 31 July to tourists and other visa holders covered by the amnesty.  Until otherwise stated, the amnesty ends on 31 July.

True. Think the guy you quoted is thinking situation that prior to to Mr Covid where you apply for extension knowing full well application rejected and given 7 days to exit. It's not automatic.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No need to post that again.  The thread is very clear, and it's not clear what source you are using for the Q&A.

I don't agree that the explanation about the amnesty and who's covered by it is very clear. For example: 

"It is the visa relief or automatic visa extension for all foreign nationals staying in Thailand affected by the coronavirus."

Imo, a person with a 1 year extension isn't "affected" by the coronavirus and should apply for the extension as usual. 

Stranded foreigners have to wait until July 31 or leave the country before that by air if they can find a flight. 

I did my 1 year extension 10 days ago and I didn't think 1 second about the amnesty or if I was covered or not. Why should I be covered? 

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

I don't agree that the explanation about the amnesty and who's covered by it is very clear. For example: 

"It is the visa relief or automatic visa extension for all foreign nationals staying in Thailand affected by the coronavirus."

Imo, a person with a 1 year extension isn't "affected" by the coronavirus and should apply for the extension as usual. 

Stranded foreigners have to wait until July 31 or leave the country before that by air if they can find a flight. 

I did my 1 year extension 10 days ago and I didn't think 1 second about the amnesty or if I was covered or not. Why should I be covered? 

Your opinion is correct.  The amnesty is for those who are stuck in Thailand and cannot leave to go home or to generate another entry into Thailand.  Those who live here on Extensions are unaffected as they can, and should, extend as normal when their Extension is due.  If they choose not to do this, they are not overstaying, but they will need to do it before the amnesty ends and they run the risk of the extension being denied if they get their timing wrong.  You did exactly the right thing.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

stranded in Australia but have retirement extension until end of January 2021)

You have the correct complete answer from Peter Denis above.

You extension date is in your favour. Just to add I would leave booking your flight until late. Being in Oz your would be aware of Quantas CEO comment and oz PM reply today. Bit scary

• Like 1