Burst Appendix After-effects?

dddave

This is pretty much directed at Sheryl but anybody with knowledge of the topic feel free to post.

A young woman friend in the Philippines recently suffered from a burst appendix. She was in such bad shape by the time she got to the hospital that later, her doctor told her they had given her only a 20% chance of survival.

She's a fighter and with the help of a really competent doctor and nursing staff (a rarity in provincial Philippine hospitals) she was able to pull through though the recovery was a very painful two months.

Now, almost four months on and she's nearly back to normal. 

One odd side effect seems to be that she can no longer properly digest rice.  Prior to the surgery, large quantities of rice were part of her daily diet but since her surgery, she can not eat more than 1/2 cup of cooked rice without incurring severe abdominal pain.  Is this a common side effect of appendix surgery and removal?  Would it possibly have disrupted the production of whatever enzymes and digestive fluids are necessary to digest rice?

Is it possible to rebuild her digestive system by eating small amounts of rice daily?  Not enough to cause pain, less than 1/2 cup.

I'm asking here because she's having difficulty getting answers in her home town.   

Thanks.

Not surprising. 

Depending on what exactly was the diagnosis,  and what exactly was done.

(It's not a common side effect of an uncomplicated appendectomy, but what you describe its something completely different, much more serious, sounds like generalized peritonitis)

Intraabdominal adhesions maybe possible, or just disturbed bowel motility. She should talk to the doctors that treated her.

• Like 1

Yes, I would suspect possible adhesions or other complication.  If she also has a low grade fever, an abscess is also possible. She may need an abdominal CT.

I suspect the issue is nto rice per se but rather volume of food, likely it is ri ce that she eats in the most quantity.

Thanks for the timely responses.  I'll suggest she see the Dr. that operated on her though I know easier said than done.  He works at several hospitals in different localities during each week and getting any face time with him is not easy.

42 minutes ago, uhuh said:

She should talk to the doctors that treated her.

Post mentions a doctor at a provincial hospital.  PI is severally undeserved medically (many of best doctors/nurses are overseas foreign workers for better pay) and currently many facilities are full from COVID.  Most any treatment to international standards would require Manila or Cebu facilities from my understanding and know Cebu is back on lockdown and hospitals full. 

As said above it may be quantity rather than rice itself as Philippines is very dependent on rice as staple and this is especially true during Covid as rice is about all that government can provide the many needing help.