Where is your favorite place for a quick getaway in Thailand?

WineOh

Another vote for Prachuap.

A nice beach and market on the front, swift hike up the steps of the temple to fight the monkeys off and a pleasant bicycle ride out of town northwards to explore the rocky coves. Was a decent pizza place near the “ gift garelly “, or a couple of cold ones on the front overlooking the pier.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, camble said:

Koh Chang

...and/or Koh Kood

400 baht expensive for renting a motorbike? Heck 15 years ago you paid 300 anywhere on mainland for a day to day rental, and 2500 for a mont for a decent newer bike. 

Btw where you park your car or motorbike on mainland if heading down to Koh Kood? 

20 hours ago, jvs said:

Kanchanaburi and Prachuap are my get away places.I kind of live in between the two and i like both places.

Have been doing this for years so i know a few people there.

Like to drive around both places and do some shopping.

I was in Prachuap last month,beer in cups with your meal and very relaxed.

I’m a regular to Prachuab too. Very few foreigners overall so no bar scene (that I’m aware of). Some great real Thai food too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I’m a regular to Prachuab too. Very few foreigners overall so no bar scene (that I’m aware of). Some great real Thai food too.

No bars scene,that is why i go there.totally different mindset of most people you meet.

Seem a lot of people who bike (pedal) in Thailand stop there for a few days.

I usually go to Dan singkhon,years ago it was a lot nicer there.Before the modern buildings and the bus loads of tourists.

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Koh Larn island just off Pattaya. I can be there (and swimming) in under an hour, a resort on a clean beach. 10 kilometres from Pattaya but a million miles away.

Except koh larn is hugely overcrowded in the 'normal' tourist season.

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

400 baht expensive for renting a motorbike? Heck 15 years ago you paid 300 anywhere on mainland for a day to day rental, and 2500 for a mont for a decent newer bike. 

Btw where you park your car or motorbike on mainland if heading down to Koh Kood? 

We usually pay 250thb per day for a motorbike on Koh Mak.

Lelawadee speedboat company offers roofed car parking at 50thb per night. (Laem Ngop pier)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tagged said:

If you take the boat from Laem Ngop there is a large car park near the lighthouse and pier has a new toilet block , not sure if you need to buy the boat ticket in Trat though. If you overnight in Trat you could keep your vehicle there, ticket could/may include transport to boat. In low season the boats may not run due to weather conditions. Ferry's to koh chang now are only every 2 hrs. from Center-point but always run. no charge to take car on this at the moment.  M/c on koh chang are 250 baht a day.  

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 11:56 AM, BritManToo said:

I've given up on Thailand.

Up in Chiang Mai, Saigon/Da Nang/Phnom Penh, even Siem Reap are easier (quicker and cheaper) to get to than Hua Hin.

COVID allowing.

I used to visit Hua Hin, but the 12hr bus journey each way was a bit of a chore.

for me, in the north, it is Chiang Rai.  love the place

I just drove back from Chiang Mai it's dead dead dead we were the only people walking around the airport Central. I would have to agree with another comment on here sitting on my floating duck in my own pool watching my thoroughbreds in the pasture here in Chiayaphum. 

16 minutes ago, ArickChaiyaphum said:

I just drove back from Chiang Mai it's dead dead dead we were the only people walking around the airport Central. I would have to agree with another comment on here sitting on my floating duck in my own pool watching my thoroughbreds in the pasture here in Chiayaphum. 

On the other hand, I have never seen so many thais on their motorbikes, cruising around the mountain areas. Seems like everyone is going on a motorbike trip these days, and it is from 125cc to the biggest fattest engines. Not only 2 and 3, but Up to 30 - 40 biKes. Crazy scenery. Went to Phu Thap Bueak couple of weeks ago, completely full and this weekend is it going to be more people travelling around Thailand.