Plan to reopen five islands to foreign tourists by August

webfact

2 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Yes, world pandemic, hundreds of thousands of people dying, families on the brink of starvation,,, but the beach is empty, how lovely. 

Some people just live in their own little bubble.

There will be parts of the world that are relatively virus free for periods of time during any pandemic.

Make the most of it while you can because it 'might' be back in a couple of months and everything will shutdown again and that cycle could repeat every few months for years.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Yes, world pandemic, hundreds of thousands of people dying, families on the brink of starvation,,, but the beach is empty, how lovely. 

Some people just live in their own little bubble.

Keep your problems to yourself.

50 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

Not likely. If current estimates of people who have had the virus at ten times known cases is correct that is still only 6% of the population. Still another 54% to get to herd immunity. Some areas might get there quicker then it will just move on to other areas. Its pretty much a runaway train in the USA now. Who knows what the final destination will be. 

The idea that herd immunity has to be at 60% and up to get any results is completely false. Think about it for a moment - who are those 6% who already got it? They are the people most likely to get it because they have the most contact with other people. There are significant portions of the population that have less contact with others who wouldn't get it even if they're not immune. Think elderly, kids who stay at home, stay at home moms, unemployed basement dwellers, and anybody who self-isolates. In reality you need closer to 20-30% to get herd immunity as the virus will just die out if it can't feed on the population most likely to get it. In places like New York and Stockholm they're basically done with it - it's dying out - and it's not due to "social distancing", it's due to the fact most active people already had it. There won't be a "second wave" there. For the rest of the world - yes - a second wave is coming and there will be a third and a fourth if they don't just let it runs it's course.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There will be parts of the world that are relatively virus free for periods of time during any pandemic.

Make the most of it while you can because it 'might' be back in a couple of months and everything will shutdown again and that cycle could repeat every few months for years.

The point is the beaches are empty because of the pandemic, they are not empty and quiet for any good reason. How exactly can you "make the most of it?" They will remain empty until the pandemic is beaten, if another wave comes they will be empty again. I don't see your logic.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

The idea that herd immunity has to be at 60% and up to get any results is completely false. Think about it for a moment - who are those 6% who already got it? They are the people most likely to get it because they have the most contact with other people. There are significant portions of the population that have less contact with others who wouldn't get it even if they're not immune. Think elderly, kids who stay at home, stay at home moms, unemployed basement dwellers, and anybody who self-isolates. In reality you need closer to 20-30% to get herd immunity as the virus will just die out if it can't feed on the population most likely to get it. In places like New York and Stockholm they're basically done with it - it's dying out - and it's not due to "social distancing", it's due to the fact most active people already had it. There won't be a "second wave" there. For the rest of the world - yes - a second wave is coming and there will be a third and a fourth if they don't just let it runs it's course.

So the stay at home mum never goes to the shops , the basement dweller never  takes delivery of his pizza in person and the elderly never get visits from their family ? I think you are just changing the science to suit your own narrative. There still is no consensus that those who have been infected will retain immunity long term so its still very much a hypothetical that herd immunity can even be achieved. Its still way to early to think that its still over for places like New York or Sweden.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

But the beaches are nice and empty for the old pensioners,,,, ????

I guess then at 55 I am an old pensioner in your book.  Been collecting my pension since I turned 50 and retired after 31 years. Makes it nice to be still spry enough to do things I could not do when I was working as they were prohibited.

• Like 1

Let's make sure the Chinese get priority treatment !  After all, Thailand is well on the way to becoming their vassal state. Maybe the Government should ask its citizens how they feel about the Chinese....as if they cared what the Thai people think.

• Like 1

Fire this silly tourism minister and that crazed health minister. Sue them for lost revenue due to there racist assault. Also w d f do residents have to do with running a country. 

You are going to be flat broke soon. Nobody is coming for you bubble lol. CHINA noe have a new swine flu pandemic. You have them clean bill of health ????????????

4 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I cannot see any tourist that is paying to visit Thailand and not on a package deal to these islands willing to accept being herded to an area that the Thai powers-that-be thinks is useful to the economy, profitable to them at the smallest risk and where a virus outbreak can be controlled. People won't be corralled like cattle or penned in like sheep.

If I was coming here with family, we just wouldn't accept the fact that you are not allowed to go into Bangkok, or here and there. Go to your designated island and stay there. It hardly conjures up a picture of relaxation.

Add back stress of flying, face masks, covid19 certificates, scrutiny of health insurances etc it all ends for a ' not pleasurable experience ' unless you have masochistic tendencies.

You are either open or you are not. You can make people aware of the dangers and the pitfalls and that is all you can do.

Other than that, adopt what the EU is doing and promote regional travel. European nations are now heavily promoting tourism, and rightly so, where you can cover any country in the maximum of four and a half hours at the worst.

Thailand is in for a rude shock as well as their neighbors if they think they can order people about as they try to do with their own populations. Westerners won't stand for it. We are not playing ' toy soldiers ' here.

Sure, there will be those with Thai spouses and kids desperate to get back in to the country, there will also be a hell of a lot that will not want to follow these ridiculous rules and will holiday nearer to their home countries.

If they flung the borders wide open tomorrow, I still think they will have a dreadful season as most people have either cancelled, already booked nearer home, going local, not taking a holiday this year or will take staycations in their home countries.

To much. This is child's play. COVID test 10 days before flying. COVID test 2 days before flying. On arrival mask at all times. SELF QUARANTINE or be heavily fined. And enjoy your holiday 

But no Chinese they now have a possible swine flu pandemic 

• Like 2

The reality is all the business are gone. Not shut down, gone.

The new arrivals will see a ghost town, with a couple Noodle carts.

literally store fronts are painted and disheveled.

in my little paradise there are sky cranes that haven’t moved in months.   A few thousand rooms.

but anything can happen. For all my friends, I hope so.

Its going to take one he!! of a government stimulus to save tourism.

unlikely, as the possibility exists, all that stimulus money is safely tucked away in Malibu beach front properties,

ParkCity, Vail, Perth, Christchurch..........

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wildliferescue said:

That would only work if residents on these islands are no to leave the islands at all during this period and no Thai tourists are allowed to mingle either. Hopefully no British, Americans or Brazilians to be included. 

That is just a small detail.... we close that door after the horse has bolted from the barn LOL

I have a feeling this will be bubble tourists only and expect some kind of testing scheme to be rolled out along side it. Also, could be a total flop and not get the green light at all.

Thailand has seemingly been trying to totally eradicate Covid so can’t see them opening up for anyone all of a sudden. 

• Like 1