Plan to reopen five islands to foreign tourists by August

webfact

20 hours ago, sapson said:

Have to keep the bosses happy and the envelopes coming..... if any problems with sickness just dont test for covid and in a worse case scenario they can blame any infection on Burmese workers........let the tills open and the gravy chain start flowing.

I wonder how the guilty as required two lads are doing after the appeal failed.......best swept under Thailands magic carpet of denial!

True, only those poor sods are in lock down for life as it seems!

*Straight from IATA's recent article on the travel industry.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/06/30/iata-countries-like-thailand-rethink-quarantine-schemes-travel-curbs/

83% of travellers would not consider a destination where they were forced to quarantine

Alexandre de Juniac said that an opinion poll conducted among would-be travellers worldwide showed that 83% would not even consider travelling to a foreign country while facing the prospect of enforced quarantine.

Thailand faces certain loss  ฿2.2 trillion 

Thailand is facing a loss of ฿2.2 trillion in tourist income, based in increasingly dire projections for foreign arrivals into the kingdom as the coronavirus emergency continues. 

This would be based on achieving 8 million visitors this year of which 6.7 million had already arrived before the close of Thailand’s airways came into effect on April 4th.

So I am not sure with IATA's poll and concerns that the travel bubbles Thailand wants to implement will work at all.

On 6/30/2020 at 2:14 PM, sapson said:

Have to keep the bosses happy and the envelopes coming..... if any problems with sickness just dont test for covid and in a worse case scenario they can blame any infection on Burmese workers........let the tills open and the gravy chain start flowing.

I wonder how the guilty as required two lads are doing after the appeal failed.......best swept under Thailands magic carpet of denial!

Yes they were innocent.

4 hours ago, WhatsNext said:

Yes Sweden is bad, but don't dribble yourself as well please : Death rate in Sweden is 7% of all registered cases. As usual we don't know the untested ones so the real rate is lower than 7%. As of yesterday 200 new cases and 12 deaths on 30th of June. 

Source Worldometer

Ok dribbler get your facts right before you try to pick someone else’s to pieces.By your Worldometer source 68,451 Covid cases 5,333 deaths that’s over 7% who cares about stupid statements like “untested ones” hypothetical dribble Sweden’s death rate at the peak of the virus was 12% in another 2 months it may be 2% you starting to get the picture or are you in denial still.

8 hours ago, Silent Number said:

As usual the hare brain comments made by some posters on here are absolute rubbish. One even quoted Sweden as prime example of why we shouldn’t social distance, lockdown or  wear a mask.what utter stupidity. Sweden’s death rate is 12% for that feeble minded person that’s 12 persons in 100 DEAD you trying to convince me they all had some preexisting condition. But keep posting that dribble it’s good for a laugh.

Where did you get 12% death rate from? Sweden have done little testing so imossible for you to get that info anyway,, but facts are they have 528 deaths per million which is less then Spain, Italy, the Uk and others. Done plenty of work in Sweden and if you had ever been there the last thing you would call the Swedish is stupid... Have you ever been to Sweden?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silent Number said:
8 hours ago, WhatsNext said:

Yes Sweden is bad, but don't dribble yourself as well please : Death rate in Sweden is 7% of all registered cases. As usual we don't know the untested ones so the real rate is lower than 7%. As of yesterday 200 new cases and 12 deaths on 30th of June. 

Source Worldometer

Ok dribbler get your facts right before you try to pick someone else’s to pieces.By your Worldometer source 68,451 Covid cases 5,333 deaths that’s over 7% who cares about stupid statements like “untested ones” hypothetical dribble Sweden’s death rate at the peak of the virus was 12% in another 2 months it may be 2% you starting to get the picture or are you in denial still.

Goodness, what an argument over nothing.. Neither of you can debate the death rate against the infection rate because Sweden are openly not randomly testing,,, the only fact you can check is the death rate (which is accurate) against the population (which is also accurate). Fact, Sweden is high in it's death rate per million population however there are higher from other countries so as yet we don't know how Sweden have faired with their business as usual approach,,, but from what you can see so far it looks like they may have done the right thing. So both of you, check the facts on worldometer for yourselves..

5 hours ago, DLock said:

Chad did a pretty cool video last week on Koh Samui situation - worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMghPGnOP8 

I don't get it? What was so interesting about the 10 minutes of filming empty streets and shops? The country is suffering from lockdown and no tourists because the world is in the grips of a pandemic. We all know that the streets are empty, we can all see outside our own windows... DoHHH!

Anyway, seems lots of people do like this kind of stuff.. So, I'm in the UK right now and I'm off to do a 10 minute video of Northampton town centre so everyone can see the empty streets and closed shops,, it's going to be "must see" viewing so watch this space you lucky people...

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Anyway, seems lots of people do like this kind of stuff.. So, I'm in the UK right now and I'm off to do a 10 minute video of Northampton town centre so everyone can see the empty streets and closed shops,, it's going to be "must see" viewing so watch this space you lucky people...

Only difference I guess is Northampton ain’t no island longing for tourists into Thailand!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

We all know that the streets are empty, we can all see outside our own windows... DoHHH!

Really?  Life has carried on as normal in the countryside outside Chiang Mai where I live.  Village life hasn't changed at all.  If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have known about the pandemic.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

For what? To whom? Samui is a ghost town. Many of the shops and restaurants have closed. Many hotels are barely hanging on. Samui, Phangan and Dark Tao have never attracted many domestic tourists because of the local pirate pricing. Why now? And international arrivals are going to take a very long time to come back.

Here are some current images of Samui and Swampy. It is not a pretty picture.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

suvarn 2.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-04 at 2.45.07 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-04 at 2.45.08 PM (2).jpeg

1000x-1.jpg

You should update the photos to fairly up-to.date photos, before you post...????

4 hours ago, Olmate said:

Only difference I guess is Northampton ain’t no island longing for tourists into Thailand!

it's still dead in the town centre the same as thousands of other places, so what's new? 10 minutes of my life I spent watching that I would like back,, pointless.

1 hour ago, HerbyJFlash said:

That is true . Which islands take international flights? Phuket only ?

3 hours ago, Starmocihc said:

Obviously the islands will only be open to direct flights. Which means red locusts, the preferred guests. 

No.  The piece said that international passengers could transfer through BKK.  It said they would not be allowed to travel in Bangkok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HerbyJFlash said:

That is true . Which islands take international flights? Phuket only ?

–And Koh Samui, scheduled from Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore; charter from China...????

6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

–And Koh Samui, scheduled from Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore; charter from China...????

“We plan to allow tourists to board a plane to a specified destination. If they have to take a connecting flight via Bangkok, for example, they will be prohibited from travelling in Bangkok,” he made it clear.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:30 PM, spidermike007 said:

Here are some current images of Samui and Swampy. It is not a pretty picture.

And here is some more current photos from the beach road in Chaweng...

wIMG_0383_Beach-Raod-S.jpg.98995bc56d9099d349150d010e919394.jpg

June 30th

wIMG_0417_Beach-Road.jpg.dd74b4c39f85ffd73cc0ec65e3d907aa.jpg

July 1st

1 minute ago, habuspasha said:

“We plan to allow tourists to board a plane to a specified destination. If they have to take a connecting flight via Bangkok, for example, they will be prohibited from travelling in Bangkok,” he made it clear.

That is correct...???? – but I answered about international flights...????

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

That is correct...???? – but I answered about international flights...????

This does not say domestic passengers only.  And a domestic passenger would have to travel through Bangkok to get to either airport.  Clearly this is about international passengers.

16 hours ago, baansgr said:

Has he seen what Chaweng looks like.... deserted, not one business open and tumbleweed blowing down the beach road...who wants to go there.

Some July 1st impressions from deserted Chaweng with not one business open...

wIMG_0397_Gerrys-Angels.jpg.eeaf77bd611c20fe7a68e837065259ec.jpg

wIMG_0400_Soi-Green-Mango.jpg.98c098f1480e49c71b259253a4ddbc0a.jpg

wIMG_0439_Hush.jpg.61a624b537684fbbb9f958b9071bd180.jpg

wIMG_0396_Old-School-Bar_CR.jpg.3c9a629213931390699a891c7c19b647.jpg

wIMG_0428_Chica-Loca-Bar.jpg.af8d1eb8574644aa62986659856e2ddb.jpg

6 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

This does not say domestic passengers only.  And a domestic passenger would have to travel through Bangkok to get to either airport.  Clearly this is about international passengers.

Who mention "domestic"..?
International passengers can be in transit in Bangkok, bit not allowed to stop over – i.e. leave the airport for a trip into Bangkok – that's what's said in the article.

47 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Who mention "domestic"..?
International passengers can be in transit in Bangkok, bit not allowed to stop over – i.e. leave the airport for a trip into Bangkok – that's what's said in the article.

Exactly.  But the only way an international passenger to one of the islands would stop over in Bangkok is if they flew in from another country.  You are correct in pointing out that there are some international flights that do not require a stop in Bangkok, but the member's question was whether or not you had to fly direct to the island.  The answer "that is correct" from another member is what I tried to correct.  It is not correct.  I'm sure you would agree this is not an insignificant matter.  This proposed August reopening would be pretty slight if it was limited to the few international flights that bypass BKK or DMK.  I for one have hopes of flying in from New York (I know).  

• Like 2

After being closed for so long will the greedy be adjusting  the prices to recover their losses.

Although seriously nothing is going to open any time soon and if it does the quarantine and self isolation requirements at either end will not make travel attractive.

25 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

After being closed for so long will the greedy be adjusting  the prices to recover their losses.

Although seriously nothing is going to open any time soon and if it does the quarantine and self isolation requirements at either end will not make travel attractive.

I predict that the quarantine requirement will be removed for Chinese visitors since they have such good control over Covid 19 and aren't having any outbreaks of swine flu that we should worry about. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Where did you get 12% death rate from? Sweden have done little testing so imossible for you to get that info anyway,, but facts are they have 528 deaths per million which is less then Spain, Italy, the Uk and others. Done plenty of work in Sweden and if you had ever been there the last thing you would call the Swedish is stupid... Have you ever been to Sweden?

Gazza you know my opinion of you so troll elsewhere .

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Some July 1st impressions from deserted Chaweng with not one business open...

wIMG_0397_Gerrys-Angels.jpg.eeaf77bd611c20fe7a68e837065259ec.jpg

wIMG_0400_Soi-Green-Mango.jpg.98c098f1480e49c71b259253a4ddbc0a.jpg

wIMG_0439_Hush.jpg.61a624b537684fbbb9f958b9071bd180.jpg

wIMG_0396_Old-School-Bar_CR.jpg.3c9a629213931390699a891c7c19b647.jpg

wIMG_0428_Chica-Loca-Bar.jpg.af8d1eb8574644aa62986659856e2ddb.jpg

sure looks like business is open to me...lol, but then it does not look lke they are following the rules either.  Som nam na

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

sure looks like business is open to me...lol, but then it does not look lke they are following the rules either.  Som nam na

It's Samui – my excellent local Thai lawyer learned me that there is a looong way from Bangkok, where they write the law, and all the way down to samui...????

• Haha 2