It’s time to scrap two-tiered pricing for foreigners in Thailand: TAT spokesman

webfact

1 minute ago, GAZZPA said:

Oh goodness,, another member  of "if you don't like it stay at home" brigade... Well I was working there with my company so how is that fair? Dual pricing is wrong and unfair, many people who chose to go there may not know how much it goes on until they get there. Why don't you go away and try and think of something more useful to say, meanwhile the people who do have a spine and don't like bending over every time they want to go to the park will keep pushing for it to be abolished,,, luckily it finally looks like the Thai authorities are acknowledging it as being unfair (thanks to the foreigners who own a spine) so it will be changed no thanks to people like you.

Wake me next century when the multi-tier system for medical services is abolished, it just won't happen, national parks and attractions yes, medical services....only in your dreams and quite rightly so. BTW this is a debate, no need for the personal attacks and abuse, OK!

8 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

Didn’t they make it legal to charge foreigners more at hospitals not long ago ? 

Yes, legal, post 102 describes.

Edited by Trillian

2 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

this is why it's just best to stick to bars where everyone pays the same price

no interest in national parks anymore

that's doubtable or "capable of being doubted."

Edited by Mavideol

I think the complainers about this seem naive about the double pricing policy worlwide.  Arguing over a few bucks.

Check your home countries..

Disneyland, and other theme parks/entertainment venues in the US offer discounted rates to residents at certain times of the year.  Same with some of the tourist venues I have visited in Europe. 

It also applies to things like golf.  Residents get a discount.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think you've not understood my post. I said they've done nothing except talk, which is normal. And I see no reason that would change.

Interesting swerve to link double-pricing with the road accident toll though.

Well there has been a lot of action by various bodies and it is established that 2-tier is both inadvisable and unnecessary. 

this is a lot more than talk - it is that like so many other aspects of Thai national life, governments  try to ignore it. however Covid etc is forcing the government to review tourism as a whole and they just can't meander along ignoring advice.

you seem to fail to realise that the situations are changing nd a cynical "nothing will ever change" comment is just a baselesss assertion.

8 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Where are the personal attacks and abuse? Think you are being too sensitive... It's a simple message from me,, if you are happy to be ripped off then you carry on,, many are not happy and we / they will complain about how unfair it is until it is changed and this press release is a good start.. If you don't want to complain then you have nothing to say so keep your ideas of "you can always chose to go home to yourself" and let the rest of us push through for the change, after all you can reap the benefits after we have done all the hard work,,, i think that is a simple message with no personal abuse,,,

You like so many have failed to grasp the situation - this is NOT a system of discounts for the worthy - it is a system of SURCHARGES to the tune of 1000% for visitors

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Where are the personal attacks and abuse? Think you are being too sensitive... It's a simple message from me,, if you are happy to be ripped off then you carry on,, many are not happy and we / they will complain about how unfair it is until it is changed and this press release is a good start.. If you don't want to complain then you have nothing to say so keep your ideas of "you can always chose to go home to yourself" and let the rest of us push through for the change, after all you can reap the benefits after we have done all the hard work,,, i think that is a simple message with no personal abuse,,,

Post 102 describes four levels of medical charges based on country of origin and residence, that's the Thai system for charging in government hospitals (not private hospitals where all people are charged at the same level, in most cases). You clearly think they have got it wrong when it comes to pricing for western expats, do you also think they've got it wrong for all the other categories as well? If you do and you think everyone in the world should pay the same price for all medical services in Thailand, isn't just a little bit utopian and impractical, from a Thai perspective.

And I didn't say, if you don't like you can go home. If you read carefully I wrote that if you chose to live here you have no right to complain, those are the rules they've set for their country.

1 minute ago, Airbagwill said:

You like so many have failed to grasp the situation - this is NOT a system of discounts for the worthy - it is a system of SURCHARGES to the tune of 1000% for visitors

Just like the UK charges British expats 150% of their NHS costs for treatment received, we chose not to live there, those are the rules we have to live by.

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I think the complainers about this seem naive about the double pricing policy worlwide.  Arguing over a few bucks.

Check your home countries..

Disneyland, and other theme parks/entertainment venues in the US offer discounted rates to residents at certain times of the year.  Same with some of the tourist venues I have visited in Europe. 

It also applies to things like golf.  Residents get a discount.

I don't see dual pricing in my country, also that also doesn't make it right. I don't see why my noodles in Bangkok should be double my work mates noodles,, 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

and let the rest of us push through for the change, after all you can reap the benefits after we have done all the hard

Is that a joke. You come from foreign country and push for random fight against "injustice". How much did you lose on dual pricing this year. Provide details and stop rubbish. Maybe under 1000baht. Rubbish post

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Just like the UK charges British expats 150% of their NHS costs for treatment received, we chose not to live there, those are the rules we have to live by.

You are comparing apples and pears - and it isn't even an argument - te sins of one country in no way justify the sin of another

3 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

I don't see dual pricing in my country, also that also doesn't make it right. I don't see why my noodles in Bangkok should be double my work mates noodles,, 

And your country is?

Just now, GAZZPA said:

Absolute nonsense. I live bkk 8 years and pay exact same price as Thai. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

You are comparing apples and pears - and it isn't even an argument - te sins of one country in no way justify the sin of another

That is dual pricing, like it or not.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Airbagwill said:

what difference does that make!?!?!?

Because there will almost certainly be examples of dual pricing in that posters country, it's not uncommon, that's why I want to know, if it's OK with you!

2 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Post 102 describes four levels of medical charges based on country of origin and residence, that's the Thai system for charging in government hospitals (not private hospitals where all people are charged at the same level, in most cases). You clearly think they have got it wrong when it comes to pricing for western expats, do you also think they've got it wrong for all the other categories as well? If you do and you think everyone in the world should pay the same price for all medical services in Thailand, isn't just a little bit utopian and impractical, from a Thai perspective.

And I didn't say, if you don't like you can go home. If you read carefully I wrote that if you chose to live here you have no right to complain, those are the rules they've set for their country.

You implied for me to go home, you said I chose to come here, so should not complain or go home, so stop being silly. 

I have said not a word to you about medical have I. Very weak argument you are using.. Of course local hospitals that are subsidised by the government should not charge the special subsidised rate everyone. Most foreigners have insurance and use private hospitals for anything major. It is the same in the UK, the NHS is not free for foreigners (unless they are resident, working and paying tax) but the private healthcare is the same price for everyone.

What about the parks, the rip off restaurants, the taxis, the house rental, the market trader prices? 

You have zero argument here, the dual pricing is wrong, simple as that and even the Thai government have acknowledged they need to bring their outdated policies up to date and abolish dual pricing so you view is nonsense and redundant anyway. If you don't like that you can always pay more when it is abolished, you can "choose" to do that...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

says it all

nice insight

I always walk away when there is a higher price for foreigners. Not because I cannot afford - but because it is obviously discriminatory and offensive

I agree with you but I don't let it bother me, I figure we don't go to these venues that often. However, it absolutely infuriates my wife. We were at a park in Thailand where there is a shellfish graveyard, apparently one of only two in the world. I said we're here now why miss it to save 200 baht? Still haven't seen it probably never will.

• Like 1

This kind of price differences (not a bit more, but 10 times upper !!!) contribute to xenophobic mind thinking.

I can accept to paid a bit more because i'm a foreigner. I can accept there is different social level and then the ones who can paid upper (Thaï first because rich Thaï should help first there own country... right ?).

But, ten times upper, i did not and i will never accept this scam because what does it mean ? (most of the time i saw this, also, i saw many dirty trash on the floor around... is it directly linked with this practice ?)

Instead of make me come and stay, paid for anything around for myself and my own Thaï family, i just leave the place quickly and talk only about this price difference who make me feel like a not welcome person on the place.

I remember the first time i see that, i sit in front and make a picture, i was very dispointed and sad, much more for Thailand image than for myself, because i love Thailand and i wish the best for them, so to delete these kind of scam practices.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

I agree with you but I don't let it bother me, I figure we don't go to these venues that often. However, it absolutely infuriates my wife. We were at a park in Thailand where there is a shellfish graveyard, apparently one of only two in the world. I said we're here now why miss it to save 200 baht? Still haven't seen it probably never will.

it is wrong, not surprised your wife is infuriated,,, turn the tables and imagine how you would feel if your wife was being charged for going into a park in your country and it was 10 times the price you pay.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

You implied for me to go home, you said I chose to come here, so should not complain or go home, so stop being silly. 

I have said not a word to you about medical have I. Very weak argument you are using.. Of course local hospitals that are subsidised by the government should not charge the special subsidised rate everyone. Most foreigners have insurance and use private hospitals for anything major. It is the same in the UK, the NHS is not free for foreigners (unless they are resident, working and paying tax) but the private healthcare is the same price for everyone.

What about the parks, the rip off restaurants, the taxis, the house rental, the market trader prices? 

You have zero argument here, the dual pricing is wrong, simple as that and even the Thai government have acknowledged they need to bring their outdated policies up to date and abolish dual pricing so you view is nonsense and redundant anyway. If you don't like that you can always pay more when it is abolished, you can "choose" to do that...

Here's what I wrote in post 115, stop making up fake quotes to hide your own inability to read and comprehend:

"You always have that option, but if you chose not to exercise it don't complain about the cost, it was after all your choice".

"Of course local hospitals that are subsidised by the government should not charge the special subsidised rate everyone".

Thank you, that was the sole point I was making from the outset, if only you would have read more carefully and understood what was written...better late than never.

No it is not the same in the UK for foreigners, non-resident British expats pay 150% of NHS charges whereas non-resident foreigners pay only 100%.

Edited by Trillian

47 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

There seem to be 2 highly dubious attitudes on this thread

first - "if I don't do it, I don't care"

secondly  - an attempt to hie one's ignorance by with cynicism.

this appears to be an example of both?

Don't like it, Not my problem , Don't Reply. 

• Confused 1