Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

It’s time to scrap two-tiered pricing for foreigners in Thailand: TAT spokesman

webfact

3 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

Whatever I'm prepared to pay for something, be it goods, services or entrance fees, it is always a question of value for money. Do I get my money's worth or not? If not, I skip it or go elsewhere.

But, speaking of the subject at hand, dual pricing sometimes makes that difficult. For example, going to a place with some Thai friends, I can feel pressured to pay the foreigner price even though I may not have done so had I been alone.

if they were true friends they,d be in your corner should you have made a stand.

12 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

If you take into consideration how much one spends on cigarettes and alcohol and other stupid stuff then 400 is nothing! 

400 baht every time you enter per person.

The policy is not connected to value or financing the park as it doesn't work.

If you are group of 4 plus car plus camping it moutnts up - if you leave the park, you should actually pay to re-enter.

The way to raise money on any national monument is to have free or cheap entry and then sell "extras" once the people are inside....e.g. tours, souvenirs, food facilities - any marketing will tell you that an unjust entrance fee is a deterrant.

5 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

Whatever I'm prepared to pay for something, be it goods, services or entrance fees, it is always a question of value for money. Do I get my money's worth or not? If not, I skip it or go elsewhere.

But, speaking of the subject at hand, dual pricing sometimes makes that difficult. For example, going to a place with some Thai friends, I can feel pressured to pay the foreigner price even though I may not have done so had I been alone.

Go elsewhere? - Where do you propose? All NPs are subject to the same charging system.

Kaeng Krachan used to have a sign that told people with Tax docket or Work permits could pay the Thai rate. This was of course ended a few years back with the clampdown on foreign visitors.

There was also a scam - although you could get in t the reduced rate - on one of the entrances a ranger would insist you paid full amount - he no doubt was pocketing the difference.

48 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

There was also a scam - although you could get in t the reduced rate - on one of the entrances a ranger would insist you paid full amount - he no doubt was pocketing the difference.

I'm currently Koh Samed in fact been here 4 months. The Thai entrance to national park is 40baht Thai and 200baht farang.

Show proof of "he was pocketing difference" You dont live here for sure

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

To me personally, with my western mindset, double pricing seems and feels dishonest and leaves me feeling ripped off. Having lived here for over a decade, I have come to understand that it is not seen in quite the same way by Thai people, so I have begrudgingly accepted it - but only when I have had no choice!

However, given that there is likely to be a lot of competition for global tourism in the future, I think Thailand would do well to re-think the practice, especially within the medical sector. There are many other cultures / countries that Thailand will be competing with do not condone the practice. In fact, I believe it is unlawful in some countries.

It's not a matter of whether or not people can afford the extra few Baht, it's the feeling of being taken for a fool - nobody likes that.

• Like 2

Just now, Davedub said:

To me personally, with my western mindset, double pricing seems and feels dishonest and leaves me feeling ripped off. Having lived here for over a decade, I have come to understand that it is not seen in quite the same way by Thai people, so I have begrudgingly accepted it - but only when I have had no choice!

However, given that there is likely to be a lot of competition for global tourism in the future, I think Thailand would do well to re-think the practice, especially within the medical sector. There are many other cultures / countries that Thailand will be competing with do not condone the practice. In fact, I believe it is unlawful in some countries.

It's not a matter of whether or not people can afford the extra few Baht, it's the feeling of being taken for a fool - nobody likes that.

Stop rubbish. When have you been double priced. National parks excluded. In my years here I obtain discounts due ongoing patronage.  The red carpet rolled out in

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Davedub said:

At many hospitals.

Please explain. Public hospitals in Thailand are problematic at best. 

If you attend private hospital you will have first world cover. That is good reason to have your own health insurance if you are xpat living Thailand.

35 minutes ago, Davedub said:

Thailand would do well to re-think the practice, especially within the medical sector. There are many other cultures / countries that Thailand will be competing with do not condone the practice. In fact, I believe it is unlawful in some countries.

I dont know what your ridiculous angle is.

One example. I have dentist friend here in bkk. Along with couple skilled in Oz 

The price in Thailand is~ 40-50 %less than AU. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you attend private hospital you will have first world cover. That is good reason to have your own health insurance if you are xpat living Thailand.

I have had the experience of friends coming to visit and needing a hospital visit (stepping on broken glass). They were charged more than I have been for similar treatment, simply because they were tourists.

So it's actually (at least) triple charging; Thai friends tell me they pay less than me. It is standard practice in Thailand, but not many other countries.

I and my friend had more than adequate insurance, that is not the point.

Insurance companies increase their premiums to cover the double / triple charges. So we, the people who pay for insurance, ultimately pay the bill. I don't really appreciate that.

I'd prefer we were all treated equally.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I dont know what your ridiculous angle is.

One example. I have dentist friend here in bkk. Along with couple skilled in Oz 

The price in Thailand is~ 40-50 %less than AU. 

OK mate, whatever ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davedub said:

OK mate, whatever ????

I think you 'are flogging a dead horse' with the poster who just can't understand the concept of dual pricing. in my 18 years in Thailand I can give you countless times of dual pricing and the more you learn functional to fluent Thai, the less it happens but it still does. After all many still believe we are walking ATM's.

I was explaining this concept to a very rich Thai who was educated overseas and had a PhD. When I explained why this practice goes on she didn't understand the fuss. When i pointed out that in London if they had a queue at some of the top spots with prices ranging from 200-400% increase. Plus the fact that Thai people like here who had property in the UK could own it and foreigners couldn't (without the many loopholes). Her response was, well its foreigners stupidity for allowing it. The Thai mentality and it seems one that the poster seems to have.

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm currently Koh Samed in fact been here 4 months. The Thai entrance to national park is 40baht Thai and 200baht farang.

Show proof of "he was pocketing difference" You dont live here for sure

I'd love to hear why you think staying on Samui for 4 months makes you think you know better.....   I lived on Samui for 2 years....so what?.

As I said the Kaeng Krachan ranger station also actually used to have a sign explaining that foreigners with proof of living/working in Thailand were permitted in at the Thai persons' rate

If you got a ticket at on entrance for 40 baht and on the same day, the guy on the other entrance is asking foreigners for 400 baht, what do you call that....????

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Theres a man who knows little about evaluating health care.

On 7/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, american2 said:

I would hope it was time to scrap more than just two tiered pricing.  A type O visa requires at least 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank sixty days before visa renewal.  Meaning you must have more income to cover expenses in the sixty days leading to visa renewal.  A type O A is 400,000 Baht.  A Government employee with multi years experience and training is only earning in the neighborhood of 360,000 Baht.

Additionally a Type O visa holder is required to have insurance  which is approved (and has been invested in by the Thai Soveriegn Wealth Fund).  The cost varies by coverage and age but let us approximate the cost being 60-70,000 Baht.  The Insurance must be paid and certified prior to visa renewal.  My estimation is one must have (for a Type O Visa) 1,000,000 Baht.  I don't fault the need for Inurance.  Type O A visa holders who are not required to have Insurance are  gambling if living here uninsured.  Personally I do not frequent places with the dual pricing as it is not a payment I am willing to make.

Nice rant but way off target.

OA and O requirements are very similar, 800k based on retirement and 400k based on marriage ( and yes you can extend an extension of stay originating from an OA based on marriage ).

The OA requires you have mandatory health insurance and the cheapest is 6,000/7,400 baht depending on age. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:53 AM, Guderian said:

That sign's a bit lax, they normally write the price in Thai script too to make sure foreigners can't grok what's going on.

Are you a Stranger in A Strange Land?

On 7/2/2020 at 2:04 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Learning the language, culture and business etiquette is a far better idea.

More effort and too difficult for most, but the rewards are worth it IMO. 

Learning the language do not get you Thai price at National Parks, unless you are very lucky.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 3:43 PM, Airbagwill said:

400 baht every time you enter per person.

The policy is not connected to value or financing the park as it doesn't work.

If you are group of 4 plus car plus camping it moutnts up - if you leave the park, you should actually pay to re-enter.

The way to raise money on any national monument is to have free or cheap entry and then sell "extras" once the people are inside....e.g. tours, souvenirs, food facilities - any marketing will tell you that an unjust entrance fee is a deterrant.

If you stay longer than a night and you want to leave the park you can get a stamp so you won’t have to pay again when you get back later that same day. I’ve done that numerous times. You just need to talk to the people at the entrance before you leave the park. 

If you’re too stingy to fork out some money to see an awesome park once in your life then so be it. Don’t ever try to go to Disneyland with your family then either, or any amusement park for that matter. Me personally, I love Khao Yai, it’s my favorite place on earth and the few times I actually had to pay the 400 were fully worth it. No regrets on my part, but hey, to each their own! 

Edited by pacovl46
Typo
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chrissables said:

Learning the language do not get you Thai price at National Parks, unless you are very lucky.

True, not any more.

It used to be that showing a driving licence got you a local price.  Visiting one park and getting a ticket used to get you into another nearby park the same day free.  Not any more.

There were places that used to be free local attractions, fenced off and declared National Parks with admission prices.  No change but for the shed where someone took your money.  Or watched you walk away.

These places seem to be yet another franchise opportunity for entitled people to squeeze money from their citizens and their foreign guests.

p.s. I have never been to another country where the National Parks have so few animals, birds, butterflies and other wildlife.

4 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

If you’re too stingy to fork out some money to see an awesome park once in your life then so be it. Don’t ever try to go to Disneyland with your family then either, or any amusement park for that matter. Me personally, I love Khao Yai, it’s my favorite place on earth and the few times I actually had to pay the 400 were fully worth it. No regrets on my part, but hey, to each their own! 

The parks there are worth it?  Where?  The only ones I've seen are half abandoned with trash about, faded falling apart displays and boardwalks hardly maintained.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, greeneking said:

True, not any more.

It used to be that showing a driving licence got you a local price.  Visiting one park and getting a ticket used to get you into another nearby park the same day free.  Not any more.

There were places that used to be free local attractions, fenced off and declared National Parks with admission prices.  No change but for the shed where someone took your money.  Or watched you walk away.

These places seem to be yet another franchise opportunity for entitled people to squeeze money from their citizens and their foreign guests.

p.s. I have never been to another country where the National Parks have so few animals, birds, butterflies and other wildlife.

Yes driving licence used to be the way to get Thai price.

Now i will not enter and place i know charging extra. I may miss some sights, but very few i think.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 8:29 AM, Airbagwill said:

I'd love to hear why you think staying on Samui for 4 months makes you think you know better.....   I lived on Samui for 2 years....so what?.

As I said the Kaeng Krachan ranger station also actually used to have a sign explaining that foreigners with proof of living/working in Thailand were permitted in at the Thai persons' rate

If you got a ticket at on entrance for 40 baht and on the same day, the guy on the other entrance is asking foreigners for 400 baht, what do you call that....????

Of all the times I've been to Samet I've never paid their entrance fee. Oops you mean Samui. But in Samui you only pay that if you visit the national park, which doesn't cover the whole island. Whereas on Samet it does.

14 hours ago, Blumpie said:

The parks there are worth it?  Where?  The only ones I've seen are half abandoned with trash about, faded falling apart displays and boardwalks hardly maintained.  

Khao Yai is definitely worth it! During the 10 times I’ve been in the park I don’t recollect seeing excessive trash lying around. The only place there that has “boardwalks” is the Pha Diaw Dai cliff and those were installed probably 10 years ago, before that that is was just a dirt path. I have no idea in what condiction it is right now, though. Either way, Khao Yai is awesome! 

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Again... It's not about being stingy, it is about principle.

Also... Disneyland doesn't operate dual pricing for locals vs foreigners, so that is a very poor analogy to use.

It’s not because people have no problem forking out 179 dollars for a one day pass in Disneyland, but 400 Baht for a nice national park is a massive outrage! The very same people who complain about the 400 also don’t seem to have a problem spending hundreds of Baht for booze in a bar and thousands on bargirls.

About the principle, I don’t see you doing anything about Thais in general earning way less money than you do, yet you expect to pay the same low prices as the locals do, despite earning probably at least 10 to 20 times as much! 

• Sad 1