It’s time to scrap two-tiered pricing for foreigners in Thailand: TAT spokesman

webfact

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

no, that's fair enough, can't call that a scam aimed at anyone. but you could say it was an alternative interpretation of the law that results in getting money from you.

Unfortunately though it is very common for the police, traders, workmen, taxis etc to overcharge or even scam foreigners out of money. I have been on the receiving end too many times and know countless others who have been treated with utter disrespect all in the name of extracting money from you. Thailand should feel ashamed of that point but this press release is the first sign I have seen of an acceptance of the problem, or at least an acceptance of the dual pricing nonsense.

Stop unless it is un safe to do so - you're nicked!

1 minute ago, Airbagwill said:

It seems some people either see rip-offs everywhere or get ripped off everywhere......... I pay the same for muy noodles as everyone else.

If you say so. I think it is more likely people who have chosen Thailand as their new home don't want to accept (what is as blatantly obvious to everyone else) that Thai people see foreigners as walking atm machines and fair game to scam a bit of cash from. Starting from the top right through society,,, from using the roads, buying stuff from the shops and booking tradesmen.

If you think you have never been overcharged or conned it's probably because you haven't noticed it happening to you. ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

if something is genuinely subsidised by the government the tourists should not get the same deal, such as healthcare, however residents should get the same deal and people with a work permit should surely? Other then that they should all be the same price for everyone

Don't tell me you really believe state parks are not subsidised by government and that they are maintained solely using the extremely low entrance fee charged to Thai's, how is that even remotely possible?

"Presently, the NPD had a staff of 101 graduates, 125 official with technical school certificate and 1,583 official without format qualification. Moreover, more than 10,000 daily-paid staffs are employed. In addition to park income from park ticker selling of over 1.5 million US dollars a year, the NDP’s annual budget was about 50 million US dollar in 1996. This increases nearly 10 times from 5 million US dollars"

http://web3.dnp.go.th/wildlifenew/downloads/National park management in Thailand.pdf

"Asked why she thought the fees were so high, Ms Wanlapha remarked “We don’t get enough budget from the government to maintain the parks, and lately the number of foreign visitors to national parks has declined.”

https://www.thephuketnews.com/tax-paying-foreigners-not-entitled-to-local-price-at-national-parks-50333.php

Edited by Trillian
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Don't tell me you really believe state parks are not subsidised by government and that they are maintained solely using the extremely low entrance fee charged to Thai's, how is that even remotely possible?

"Presently, the NPD had a staff of 101 graduates, 125 official with technical school certificate and 1,583 official without format qualification. Moreover, more than 10,000 daily-paid staffs are employed. In addition to park income from park ticker selling of over 1.5 million US dollars a year, the NDP’s annual budget was about 50 million US dollar in 1996. This increases nearly 10 times from 5 million US dollars"

http://web3.dnp.go.th/wildlifenew/downloads/National park management in Thailand.pdf

Isnt it clear? Im sure it is not a secret, it should be clear where government subsidies lie, there won't be that many in Thailand. You guys are really clutching at straws now,, 

you do know this is a forum debating the dual pricing that the Thai officials are saying they want to end today. So it does exist and the Thais want to get rid of it now so what exactly are you debating? 

Throwing numbers around as if you have just proven something or drawn an obvious conclusion,,, well you haven't but do feel free to keep digging your own hol,,, sorry I mean clarify.. ????

6 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Isnt it clear? Im sure it is not a secret, it should be clear where government subsidies lie, there won't be that many in Thailand. You guys are really clutching at straws now,, 

you do know this is a forum debating the dual pricing that the Thai officials are saying they want to end today. So it does exist and the Thais want to get rid of it now so what exactly are you debating? 

Throwing numbers around as if you have just proven something or drawn an obvious conclusion,,, well you haven't but do feel free to keep digging your own hol,,, sorry I mean clarify.. ????

In post 235 above you wrote:

"if something is genuinely subsidised by the government the tourists should not get the same deal, such as healthcare," 

You've now been given proof that government does subsidize the parks system to the tune of several millions dollars per year yet you refuse to acknowledge the point.

You appear to have no integrity and are simply being dishonest in your posts, that's not a debate so I'll leave you to it, the evidence is there for everyone else to see. Byee.

14 minutes ago, Trillian said:

In post 235 above you wrote:

"if something is genuinely subsidised by the government the tourists should not get the same deal, such as healthcare," 

You've now been given proof that government does subsidize the parks system to the tune of several millions dollars per year yet you refuse to acknowledge the point.

You appear to have no integrity and are simply being dishonest in your posts, that's not a debate so I'll leave you to it, the evidence is there for everyone else to see. Byee.

What are you talking about? What on earth is your point? 

I don't agree with dual pricing, that's it. This thread is about the Thai officials announcing they don't want it to continue, I think that is a good thing. My point about the government subsidies is exactly what it says. Have no idea how I can make it clearer for you. I am assuming that dual pricing has nothing to do with propping up the finances after the Thai announcement today, if you think it does then write to the Thai government and ask them why they made the press release today about abolishing dual pricing.

And now you are questioning my integrity and accusing me of being dishonest? What are you talking about?.

The news release today is from the Thai authorities, if you think that the subsidies should remain and you have "analysed: the accounts showing why then direct your messages to the Thai authorities, it doesn't have anything to do with me.

So, once again what is the debate you are having with me? i think you should untangle your thoughts and have a nice lie down. Goodbyeee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, djayz said:

I don't believe my eyes!!! 

I don't believe it will ever happen. 20 years ago some of the National parks would admit farang at Thai prices if you could show a visa and speak some Thai, but over the years the policy has tightened so that now you have to pay the full farang price - which is one reason I no longer go to National parks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chang1 said:

Why stop at national parks and waterfalls? Charge farang 10X more for everything, food, hotels taxis, flights, trains, buses etc. etc.

Then Thais could have all these things at knock down prices. Unfortunatly you will soon find that most farang cannot afford to come to Thailand and instead of 10X it will be 50X. Sure maybe you still don't have a problem paying but it will get lonely.

The parks were just an example. I used to live in Thailand for 10 years, I’ve always paid the same price as locals for food, transport, public busses, hotel rooms and flights. Even at the parks I’ve paid local prices because I had a work permit. 

9 hours ago, greeneking said:

I agree in many ways.  Many Thais are not rich, and their heritage should be available to them and their children.  Why not make the parks free?

For all.  A lot of money is brought in by tourists flying in to see the attractions  of Thailand already.

Is there really a high cost to keeping these relatively wild areas the way they are?  Wildlife protection and conservation? Really?

Maybe there is a small cost for keeping car parks and toilets and this could easily be paid by food and accommodation business.

Or do vested interests make money from admissions, and extra high admissions from foreigners?

I was amazed by the Ko Samet National Park. Hahaha.

Well, they have quite a few people working there, so let them make some money. The entrance fee for Thais at Khao Yai is 40 Baht per person plus 40 Baht for a vehicle. That’s not bad! 

I have stay in Thailand for nearly 20,5 years now.

In 2000 i go to zoo garden in Chon Buri where all forranger have to pay more 

for come inside end what thai national have to pay.

Lad me say right away. It´s not about the money but the way thai officials make to white

people. It´s more a princip. I do not want to pay overprice, so i have not visits any park or other place 

where they take overprice.

It´s destroy that you want to have a good day with your thai family....

4 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Well, they have quite a few people working there, so let them make some money. The entrance fee for Thais at Khao Yai is 40 Baht per person plus 40 Baht for a vehicle. That’s not bad! 

So what is the price for white people the forranger?

3 minutes ago, beowolf2012 said:

So what is the price for white people the forranger?

Last time I was there it was 400 Bah, but for the 400 you can stay in there for as long as you want.

Edited by pacovl46

10 minutes ago, beowolf2012 said:

I have stay in Thailand for nearly 20,5 years now.

In 2000 i go to zoo garden in Chon Buri where all forranger have to pay more 

for come inside end what thai national have to pay.

Lad me say right away. It´s not about the money but the way thai officials make to white

people. It´s more a princip. I do not want to pay overprice, so i have not visits any park or other place 

where they take overprice.

It´s destroy that you want to have a good day with your thai family....

Here’s the thing, I go to those place because I want to see them for my amazement and or entertainment. Khao Yai is beautiful and my favorite place on earth and most definitely worth the 400 Baht. You’re missing out. If you take into consideration how much one spends on cigarettes and alcohol and other stupid stuff then 400 is nothing! 

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

charging up to 10x as much if you have a white skin to get into a rubbish strewn national park or a pathetic heritage park full of concrete replicas

did anyone force you to accept the price and enter  ?

(I have not read all posts) When i lived in OZ there was a type of 2-tiered pricing in national parks if you lived in the province/shire then you could buy an annual pass and use the parks as much as you liked, if not it was quite an expensive entrance fee for  all *tourists*.   

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

Here’s the thing, I go to those place because I want to see them for my amazement and or entertainment. Khao Yai is beautiful and my favorite place on earth and most definitely worth the 400 Baht. You’re missing out. If you take into consideration how much one spends on cigarettes and alcohol and other stupid stuff then 400 is nothing! 

Ok, but i don't think anyone would understand that 400 baht is not a lot of money in isolation, the issue is the dual pricing overall. The message it sends to locals is that it is ok to overcharge foreigners. nobody would lose sleep over 400 baht but you can see a lot of people complain about the dual pricing in Thailand across many areas, that's the problem. It is one Thailand are suggesting they need to address, I hope they do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

The parks were just an example. I used to live in Thailand for 10 years, I’ve always paid the same price as locals for food, transport, public busses, hotel rooms and flights. Even at the parks I’ve paid local prices because I had a work permit. 

How much did the *work* permit cost you.

21 hours ago, taxout said:

"I understand that local residents are able to receive a discount, while Chinese from other parts of the country and foreigners, expat or visitors, pay the same higher rate. The local rate, which is sometimes free, is often unpublished."

So? What's your point? We're talking here about general two-tier pricing, which once existed for trains and tourist sites and all sorts of things in China, but which disappeared long ago.

Of course there are anomalies here and there. For example in Wuhan, you can't get a local transport card, saving you a bit on metro/bus fares, without a Chinese ID card to enroll in the app. Some cities don't give senior discounts on transport unless you've got a local senior citizens card. Etc. None of this touches the issue we're discussing here.

That we know of. The other poster claims in many cases, foreigners still pay more than Chinese, though I have not personally experienced that to my knowledge.

5 hours ago, Farang99 said:

I don't believe it will ever happen. 20 years ago some of the National parks would admit farang at Thai prices if you could show a visa and speak some Thai, but over the years the policy has tightened so that now you have to pay the full farang price - which is one reason I no longer go to National parks

Still NOT true. The smaller parks still grant the Thai price to expats, depending on the park and/or official on duty upon showing an acceptable document such as a valid Thai driver's license or pink ID.

There is no such thing as uniformly applied rules in Thailand.

About 20 years ago i showed up at airport hotel in bangkok in the middle of the night. Flying in from bali and heading home the next morning to chiangmai.    At the desk i was told 1800 baht.   I said i only need a room for about 5 hours.  1800 baht.   Do you have a tiny room?   1800 baht.  Well <deleted>.   I went over to tell my thai wife who found a chair to wait while i got the room.   I told her 1800 baht.   She walked over to the reception desk and only asked how much is a room?   800 baht.   My wife looked said to the receptionist my husband will book the room.   Without missing a beat she said ok.  800 baht.    

They should do something about double pricing across the board.   It is the reason i seldom travel within Thailand 

• Thanks 1

Whatever I'm prepared to pay for something, be it goods, services or entrance fees, it is always a question of value for money. Do I get my money's worth or not? If not, I skip it or go elsewhere.

But, speaking of the subject at hand, dual pricing sometimes makes that difficult. For example, going to a place with some Thai friends, I can feel pressured to pay the foreigner price even though I may not have done so had I been alone.

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

That we know of. The other poster claims in many cases, foreigners still pay more than Chinese, though I have not personally experienced that to my knowledge.

As I mentioned in an earlier post i have lived and worked in Hog Kong, China, Taiwan and Thailand and I never experienced any dual pricing in other places,, just Thailand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

(I have not read all posts) When i lived in OZ there was a type of 2-tiered pricing in national parks if you lived in the province/shire then you could buy an annual pass and use the parks as much as you liked, if not it was quite an expensive entrance fee for  all *tourists*.   

That is completely different,, that is a localised discount if you live near the attraction. That is a discount for a select few, not the same as doubling the price for everyone who is foreign.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Really?? - You have completely misinterpreted the situation.

All countries offer DISCOUNT shemes for locals/students/pensioners etc...... this is a TENFOLD surcharge.

the overall effect in the end is negative - it does improve NP finances or give people access who wouldn't otherwise have it or knowledge local residents