It’s time to scrap two-tiered pricing for foreigners in Thailand: TAT spokesman

webfact

4 hours ago, natway09 said:

I really think that they have a few more things to be concerned about than charging us more

than Thais for entry into an attraction in their country..

I always am amazed how many of you get your knickers in a knot over a couple of hundred Baht

in particular when you have paid no taxes in Thailand. When i was working they always honoured my SS card .Dual pricing is alive & well in just about every country that has commercial tourism.

China only said they got rid of it as many attractions became mandatory for free entry for locals

where they are Government sanctioned. We still pay

In China, locals who reside in the area where the attraction is, receive free or reduced price entry. Chinese citizens residing elsewhere in the country and foreigners, whether they are expats or visitors, pay the same higher rate. Groups also receive discounts. I am not aware of any Chinese/foreigner dual pricing attractions left, though I conceive it's possible some may still exist. I am pretty sure that all of the Chinese tourist attractions I've ever visited, had a policy where they give local residents, as opposed to all Chinese citizens, free entry, while foreigners pay the same as non-local Chinese citizens.

In Vietnam, most forms of dual pricing have gone the way of the dodo, but there are still several tourist attractions, mainly in central Vietnam that charge foreigners more than locals. Usually only about double the local price. I have no idea about group tours - they already seem cheap and while some of them do indeed charge Vietnamese the same, others may be cheaper for locals than foreigners but since the vast majority of the clientele is foreigners, they rarely seem to advertise the local price so it's hard to know. I'm talking about the tours you book through a travel agency or your guesthouse in a backpacker area.

In most other countries in SE Asia, dual pricing is very widespread. It's disguised better in some than others. Malaysia has it (disguised as "MyKid/MyKad" card holders, meaning you need to show your Malaysian ID card), Indonesia, Myanmar (very widespread there), Laos, Cambodia, India, Bangladesh and some places in the Philippines too.

13 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Exactly, when a Thai travels to Japan or Swiss they get loads of discounts on trains and attractions. But if a Swissie comes to Thailand he/she has to pay then 10 folded price.

Not exactly. The Swiss train pass discount is only for residents, not tourists. There are all sorts of little forms of hidden dual pricing in Europe, though they are not nearly as obvious as in Thailand. That said, a Thai resident of Switzerland would most likely be able to purchase and use the 50% discount card in the same way as a Swiss citizen.

2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Would ANY Thai accept a two-tiered pricing for Thais abroad ? I presume hell would broke lose with such a racist approach.

No it wouldn't. I've traveled with Thais to countries like Laos where we encountered dual pricing. They were forced to pay the same higher price as I, and rejected any attempts to pay the lower Lao rate, because they knew they wouldn't be receiving it and also because they didn't think the higher rate was that bad.

26 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Will the Thais now have to pay "farang" price????

They already are - for cars (much more expensive than in "farang" countries), basically anything in Phuket (taxis, restaurant prices, tours etc.) and of course when traveling abroad in any country where dual pricing is practiced, which it is very much done in your namesake country Burma.

However, there are some interesting examples out of Burma/Myanmar where Thais pay LESS than farang, but MORE than Burmese! Yes, you'll find this strange anomaly in some hotels and tourist attractions in border towns such as Tachilek and Myawaddy (and possibly elsewhere, such as Dawei).

• Thanks 1

It's their bleeping country - they should get priority.  I didn't mind paying to see the Grand Palace, with my wife getting in free.  It is the Grand Palace of HER King, after all - not mine.  Controversial?  Why?

But a better alternative would be "Thai Only Days" at temples, the Grand Palace, etc.  The pricing just made the foreigners angry, but w/o solving the overcrowding.  These are The Thai People's Historical Sites, national parks, etc - after all.

But given it was the Chinese Tour-Group tourism, which was making so many places a horrible experience, they will not need this, unless/until that spigot is opened up again.  Since the covid-closings ended, and w/o the horde-tourism restarting, we have enjoyed visiting places that were so packed before, we would just turn around and leave.  I feel sorry for any Thais going to visit their heritage-sites, and having to endure what it was like before. 

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I asked you earlier. How much have you lost out on dual pricing in say last 12 months. Talking about taxis etc is rubbish.

Personally in last 12 months I have been Samed 3 times. So I have been "stung" 160x3= 480baht. Oh cry me a River.

This forum topic is about the dual pricing policy, it does exist no matter what you say. Do you have any value to add to the topic? Do you think it is good that the Thai authorities are acknowledging the problem and accepting something needs to be done? I believe that if it is shown as unacceptable to charge more because the person is foreign it will, eventually work it's way through to smaller unofficial dual pricing standards, such as taxis, restaurants, market stalls etc,,,

Do you think that is a good thing? Do you have any value to add to this topic other then trying to attack me personally? If you don't see the problem (or you don't care) then don't bother posting because everything you're saying is pointless waste of time and frankly you are boring me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chang1 said:

A better question is - how many places have you avoided due to dual pricing?

So where would you draw the line 100X more still OK?

You seem to be proud that being ripped off is not a problem for you - do you have no self respect? or are you just selfish? Just because you can afford it, does not mean we all can. I would not have a problem with paying a little more than locals for things that the country subsidises, such as a national park, but 10X more is plain offensive. Any other price differences, especially from private companies, need to be confronted. Anyone who ignores it, are encourouging it to get worse. It is not just the money, it is also humilliating to look so stupid by happily paying 10X what the people around you are paying. Obviously some think it makes them superior in some way but the Thais are all laughing at them just as much.

I still end up paying 10X more for some things but will always let the poor cashier know I disaprove, not that it makes any difference.

Another thing you need to understand is the hidden message it sends to all Thais - that it is OK to rip off farangs anytime they can. If it's OK for the government to rip off farang in a national park, then why not the same for a tuktuk, taxi, jetski etc.?

Well put but don't expect to convince some people, they either just don't get it, chose to pretend it's not there or don't care about the points you've made. To them you are just a complaining guest who can chose to be here or not,, doesn't matter if you are married, pay tax, contribute to society etc,, anyway, I am with you fella,, 100%.

• Haha 1

i think it is ok. Farangs have a lot more money...even the poor farang has a lot more. i do not see much difference in price. the farang price is low enough that tourist should never complain. russia ballet...i think $50 for Russian. At least $280 for me. hummm. State of Virginia has 2 tier pricing.  

42 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

200baht to get into a state park that is cheap. You want to pay the same as a Thai who has only 1/10. Of your income

Erm,,, Firstly not many have 10x the income, especially pensioners, secondly do you not think that there are thousands of people who come to Thailand because their money goes further? So why should they not benefit from that? Why is that such a terrible thing? Nobody is fighting for the right to claim benefits or getting state help, it's just the point that they pay the same as everyone else for stuff. So if the Thais just increase all the pricing then why come here? If that happens then imagine what will happen to Thailand..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeeJayEm said:

The average wage in Bangkok is c.US$800/month which includes huge disparities from metropolitan elite to poorest. The minimum wage (if it is actually enforced) which is more representative of most Thais is c. US$200/month. Average per capita income across the whole county is c. $280/month.

The average visiting tourist will be coming from an average approximately 10 times that.

Unless we want to see poorer (average) Thais unable to visit attractions in their own country (forget the metropolitans - they're factorially above average) there ought to be differentiated pricing or a concessionary system.  The simple concessionary systems operated in western countries won't work because Thai poverty covers all age groups.

So what systems might be the fairest?  Constructing a completely fair concession system is impossible: there are poor foreigners long term resident in-country that need taken care - and there are rich HiSo elite Thais who don't need concessions - but means testing for this is impossible. There are also tourists that might be able to speak Thai - but the very vast majority can't.

So, for simple practicality to get the vast majority of visitors to attractions correctly levied - and with priority to ensuring poor Thais can visit, my vote would go to a system that had a high level price as standard for entry  (the current "foreigner price" being the standard entry) and a concessionary price of about 15% of that for all fluent Thai speakers. - Easily checked case-by-case.

There will be an odd exception but I have no patience or sympathy with self-centred touchy tourists / visitors who cannot see that they SHOULD help to subsidise their on average VASTLY poorer hosts.  They should remember that someone unemployed in e.g. the UK is still receiving benefits from government that are 500% of the average Thai income !!  And anyone who want's to complain can get over it themselves by learning to speak Thai (which should also help generate some much needed humility too :)

Well the Thai authorities disagree with you from the press release so who are you trying to convince exactly?

• Haha 1

I never had a problem with paying 400 Baht to get into Khao Yai! If they slash the prices down to what Thais have to pay, it’s alright with me, but if they increase the price for Thais then it’s not alright with me. 200 Baht, or 400 in the case of Khao Yai, is nothing for a foreigner who can afford to fly to Thailand on holiday, but 400 Baht for someone who makes only 6000 to 10000 a month is a lot, and if they went with their wife and a couple of children it would add up fairly quickly! Since the parks are in Thailand, it should be financially accessible to all Thais.

7 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Well put but don't expect to convince some people, they either just don't get it, chose to pretend it's not there or don't care about the points you've made. To them you are just a complaining guest who can chose to be here or not,, doesn't matter if you are married, pay tax, contribute to society etc,, anyway, I am with you fella,, 100%.

Thanks. In the end it is their country to do as they please but it is the Thais who ultimatly lose out the most, which someone has finally woke up to. A 2 week family holiday costs around £3000, why risk upsetting them for £20? A tourist who feels welcomed and has had a good affordable time is far more likely to return than one who felt disrespected or ripped off. Sure we can afford the higher fees but just seeing 40 Baht for Thais and 400 Baht for me still leaves a bad taste. Double would be the most I would say is fair.

They can charge what they want but I can chose where we go for our next holiday - last year Mauritius this year would have been Vietnam but flights were cancelled. Dual pricing was not the only reason but the whole rip off culture that seems to get worse every year and coupled with the strong Baht means Thailand is not my first choice anymore, which it has been for 20 years. The wife will still come to visit her family but certainly less often together with me.

22 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

I never had a problem with paying 400 Baht to get into Khao Yai! If they slash the prices down to what Thais have to pay, it’s alright with me, but if they increase the price for Thais then it’s not alright with me. 200 Baht, or 400 in the case of Khao Yai, is nothing for a foreigner who can afford to fly to Thailand on holiday, but 400 Baht for someone who makes only 6000 to 10000 a month is a lot, and if they went with their wife and a couple of children it would add up fairly quickly! Since the parks are in Thailand, it should be financially accessible to all Thais.

Why stop at national parks and waterfalls? Charge farang 10X more for everything, food, hotels taxis, flights, trains, buses etc. etc.

Then Thais could have all these things at knock down prices. Unfortunatly you will soon find that most farang cannot afford to come to Thailand and instead of 10X it will be 50X. Sure maybe you still don't have a problem paying but it will get lonely.

I remember going to Amsterdam in the eighties and saw a price list outside a show. Not the correct figures but it was something like this, a picture of a flag and a price in Guilders -

Japan          80

USA             60

Switzerland  50

Germany      40

France         30

Spain           20

UK               10

I didn't know whether to be proud to come from a country that would not be ripped off so blatently or ashamed to come from a poor country that they knew the citizens would not pay anymore.

Did I go in? Yes. Would I have gone in if the UK was at the top of the list - not a chance. Especially as there were many other shows around.

At a time this subject is getting a lot of media coverage the two tier pricing is nothing short of systemic racism, being that government offices continue the practice. As the saying goes though: "Shut the stable door after the horse has bolted" springs to mind as this will do little to stem the loss of tourists compared to the damage newly announced compulsory Health Insurance will cause.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chang1 said:

I remember going to Amsterdam in the eighties and saw a price list outside a show. Not the correct figures but it was something like this, a picture of a flag and a price in Guilders -

Japan          80

USA             60

Switzerland  50

Germany      40

France         30

Spain           20

UK               10

I didn't know whether to be proud to come from a country that would not be ripped off so blatently or ashamed to come from a poor country that they knew the citizens would not pay anymore.

Did I go in? Yes. Would I have gone in if the UK was at the top of the list - not a chance. Especially as there were many other shows around.

Ah, our dear Dutch friends, only 10G for UK.

How much for people from the Netherlands?

Must have been some time ago, pre-EU?

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback