Alcohol ban in Thailand on Sunday and Monday

rooster59

5 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Cannot, impossible. My anxiety and depression demands heavy consumption of alcohol and cigs daily...You keep your kindle, it’s useless to us beer drinkers.

If you have that problem make sure you always got beer in stock.. not that hard to do. Anyone who has lived in this country knows about dry days. Just prepare yourself for it. 

• Like 2

Everyone sitting around tables last night in our village getting sloshed will have such a hangover they probably won't want to drink today, they stock up on booze from the inside. :drunk::burp:    i couldn't stop to stock up at mar and pars last night had a tyre going down with a huge screw in it. Damit! Should still be able to buy today though they kept selling all through the ban. bless them.

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Everyone sitting around tables last night in our village getting sloshed will have such a hangover they probably won't want to drink today, they stock up on booze from the inside. :drunk::burp:    i couldn't stop to stock up at mar and pars last night had a tyre going down with a huge screw in it. Damit! Should still be able to buy today though they kept selling all through the ban. bless them.

Felt a bit dusty when I woke this morning, 2 shots of JD have sorted that.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rott said:

And how many times have you been told that many people do not enjoy drinking at home, for a lot of us having a drink means visiting licensed premises. 

Not sure how hard it is to understand that. ????

Then how hard is it to understand you live in a Buddhist country if you don't like the laws then move back to the west. Either accept that the locals like it like this. If you then have to drink drink at home. You guys want to change the country because you need to drink ????

I respect all sort of Religions, but I don't like anyone telling me what to eat and when,

what to drink and when and what to wear and when.

I am drinking a coooold beer while writing this.

"Cheers to the ones who wish us well and the ones who don't can go to hell"! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then how hard is it to understandrstand you live in a Buddhist country if you don't like the laws then move back to the west. Either accept that the locals like it like this. If you then have to drink drink at home. You guys want to change the country because you need to drink ????

I am not one who is complaining about it, I got used to it twenty years ago. I do not drink every day. 

As I said in a post on the previous page I do not understand the reaction because this is an annual event and does not come as a surprise. 

Nasty-mouthed individual. 

Edited by rott
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rott said:

I am not one who is complaining about it, I got used to it twenty years ago. I do not drink every day. 

As I said in a post on the previous page I do not understand the reaction because this is an annual event and does not come as a surprise. 

100% In agreement. Its annual Thais seem to think its important. 

9 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

I respect all sort of Religions, but I don't like anyone telling me what to eat and when,

what to drink and when and what to wear and when.

I am drinking a coooold beer while writing this.

"Cheers to the ones who wish us well and the ones who don't can go to hell"! 

Who is telling you what to drink and when ?

These ban days are about the sale not the consumption..... A fact that is lost on many.

Edited by Don Mega

3 hours ago, JWRC said:

This is after all a predominantly Buddhist country so I wouldn't say anyone is being forced to do anything. Firstly you choose to live in this country, you live by their rules Secondly if you want alcohol, there is nothing to stop you stocking up before Sunday.

It is only tongue and cheek. Some places will still sell to you like mom and pops and others will open and put your alcohol in a coffee cup. I have been here way a long long time and know everything already. I actually go to temples with my family and will go today as it is my preferred religion.

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

It is only tongue and cheek. Some places will still sell to you like mom and pops and others will open and put your alcohol in a coffee cup. I have been here way a long long time and know everything already. I actually go to temples with my family and will go today as it is my preferred religion.

Given your user name I woulda thought your religion was Hindu not Buddhism !!

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Then how hard is it to understand you live in a Buddhist country if you don't like the laws then move back to the west. Either accept that the locals like it like this. If you then have to drink drink at home. You guys want to change the country because you need to drink ????

I am under the impression the vast amount of  locals are not keen on it or ignore it completely (certainly in my area)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poohy said:

I am under the impression the vast amount of  locals are not keen on it or ignore it completely (certainly in my area)

Strange that they never protest about it or moan. I never heard any locals speak about it. Maybe they know places to go to that foreigners don't know.  The locals around here don't seem to mind. Not saying there wont be underground bars or something like that. 

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not saying there wont be underground bars or something like that. 

I live in the countryside i appreciate cities and larger towns are different, my local shop will be selling and locals drinking same as every other day, even in my  local town restaurants sell in coffee cups and "one" with connections will certainly be business as usual.'Its not a tourist area (none near me and only a few in town)  so its locals that are customers..they dont say anything because they know they can get around it

Edited by poohy

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

i hardly think it's ' ramming ' their religion down everyone's throat as you put it .....

these Buddha holidays have been going on for a million years so your comment in irrelevant.

There were no alcohol bans for Buddhist holidays or at least they were never enforced 12 or more years ago... things have definitely gotten a lot more authoritarian in recent years.

If a tourist is on holiday and fancies a drink, and most tourists won't know nor care about religious holidays, elections or that nonsense, and are told they can't have a glass of wine with their evening meal or they go out and everywhere is closed for a couple of days... Well, they won't be coming back in a hurry.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, poohy said:

I live in the countryside i appreciate cities and larger towns are different, my local shop will be selling and locals drinking same as every other day, even in my  local town restaurants sell in coffee cups and "one" with connections will certainly be business as usual.'Its not a tourist area (none near me and only a few in town)  so its locals that are customers..they dont say anything because they know they can get around it

I dont frequent bars so I really would not know. There are a few around and those i saw on the main road were closed. Non tourist area bit outside of BKK. But I don't claim to know all the bars around this area. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There were no alcohol bans for Buddhist holidays or at least they were never enforced 12 or more years ago.

I have to disagree .....  the sale of alcohol on Buddha's holidays has been around for as long as i can remember. I've lived here 25+ yrs and i'm sure it was always the case. Unless i'm mistaken ...

however, if what you say is correct then i apoligise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There were no alcohol bans for Buddhist holidays or at least they were never enforced 12 or more years ago... things have definitely gotten a lot more authoritarian in recent years.

News to me. 

I remember them being enforced in Pattaya over 20 years ago. 

Though not always enforced up in the Nakhon now you mention it. 

Anyone know any facts about this? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, robblok said:

I dont frequent bars so I really would not know. There are a few around and those i saw on the main road were closed. Non tourist area bit outside of BKK. But I don't claim to know all the bars around this area. 

Thanks for your imput , much appreciated .

Are you a Kindler ?. 

6 hours ago, roger101 said:

I can never work out why they dont do the logical thing and only sell to people-with a foreign passport. That way they can check the age as well.

Because it doesn't matter who they sell to, it's still prohibited.

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

I have to disagree .....  the sale of alcohol on Buddha's holidays has been around for as long as i can remember. I've lived here 25+ yrs and i'm sure it was always the case. Unless i'm mistaken ...

however, if what you say is correct then i apoligise.

The government was dealing another severe blow to the already-battered tourism and entertainment industry by suddenly banning booze during Buddhist holidays next week, business leaders complained yesterday

"This is the same old issue - the government rising up to destroy tourism. This does not parallel its tourism policy of increasing the number of visitors coming into the country," said Thai Hotels Association (THA) president Prakit Chinamourphong.

Enforcement of the decree would hurt tourism venues, especially clubs and restaurants located in hotels, as well as general tourist attractions.

"How can tourists can enjoy their holiday in Thailand without drinking? Like Phuket or Pattaya, they're coming for beaches and fun. They like to have beers and some drinks on the beach. If we ask them not to do so, they won't be happy," Prakit said.

From The Nation article in the paper 1st July 2009. Link is dead now unfortunately.

I accept your apologies. ????

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

15 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There was probably a law prohibiting alcohol sales on Buddha days, but it was never enforced until then. 

For sure hotels could sell alcohol, as I remember being in several on Buddha days and drinking in the early to mid 00's.

it was always forbidden to sell alcohol on Buddha holidays in Thailand.

If you could or did happen to purchase alcohol on a Buddhist holiday, technically you are breaking the law and could be fined, it is most certain that the shop, bar or restaurant that sold it to you would be fined.

so, no apology.  Alcohol sales have always been banned on Buddhist holidays.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The government was dealing another severe blow to the already-battered tourism and entertainment industry by suddenly banning booze during Buddhist holidays next week, business leaders complained yesterday

"This is the same old issue - the government rising up to destroy tourism. This does not parallel its tourism policy of increasing the number of visitors coming into the country," said Thai Hotels Association (THA) president Prakit Chinamourphong.

Enforcement of the decree would hurt tourism venues, especially clubs and restaurants located in hotels, as well as general tourist attractions.

"How can tourists can enjoy their holiday in Thailand without drinking? Like Phuket or Pattaya, they're coming for beaches and fun. They like to have beers and some drinks on the beach. If we ask them not to do so, they won't be happy," Prakit said.

From The Nation article in the paper 1st July 2009. Link is dead now unfortunately.

I accept your apologies. ????

I don't apologise as I am correct when i say it has always been forbidden to sell alcohol on Buddhist holidays in Thailand.

• Like 1