2000B to get A/C cleaned!

Silentwalker

41 minutes ago, tonray said:

Some outfits just clean the superficial filters and call it a day. The main thing is flushing out thr drain lines with pressurized water...otherwise eventually you'll get a clog and leaking inside..staining walls and whatnot...a real mess. Every 6 months and never had an issue since.

Yep this is what I found, the hosepipe on full shifts  any krap, you can watch it  come out the end of the pipe, often like  jelly.

• Like 1

Just now, bodga said:

Do  my  own, was  sick of  finding handprints  all  over  walls  ceilings doors etc also usual no cloth to lay  on the floor, they cause more damage than anything else, seems  like many are either too  lazy or havent a clue. You can aslo buy the wrap around vinyl  bags with a drain hose  attached which most aircon guys  have from lazada.

I dismantle  mine and take  out the blower  wheel inside, I also get the hose and on full  power  flush down the drain pipe and then tip some bleach down before another wash thru. Takes  about 1  hour. Inside you dont need a pressure  washer you can buy a lithium ion battery powered weed  sprayer, its strong enough to clean it  out  just fine and spray before with Scotch brand  Air con cleaner.

I couldn't be bothered with all the faff.  I put that in the same category as DIY and gardening. Pay someone else to do it while you do something fun and useful. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonray said:

I enjoy gardening...but AC maintenance...no way. I do some inside painting too...just to keep busy...but otherwise....labor and service are cheap here...why ruin my retirement with busting my <deleted> ?

I love gardens, I just don't like the repetitive work of keeping it looking nice. Same with house work, pool cleaning, washing the car, showering the dogs, going to the gym, healthy eating, they are all a pain in the ass, but necessary. 

Do the simple cleaning myself, has to be done every 2 months.

Lot of land development around, mudtrucks driving up and down.

Asked the price with some of the cleaners that shows up in the soi.

500thb for one, and 300-400thb for additional ac.

Deep cleaning and checkup I let them do once in two years.

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I love gardens, I just don't like the repetitive work of keeping it looking nice. Same with house work, pool cleaning, washing the car, showering the dogs, going to the gym, healthy eating, they are all a pain in the ass, but necessary. 

My mate built a grand retirement villa on nearly 3 rai of land with landscaped gardens, orchards, ponds, gazebos, barbecue pits, guest bungalows and an infinity pool. Great idea when he was around 40 years old with notions of being the retired, landed colonial in the empire's twilight. The reality kicks in at around 65 years-old, when DIY becomes less fun but casual local labour becomes more expensive.

Back on topic: I think our chap charges about 400 baht per unit but these have been cleaned biannually since a fairly recent installation. If the OP's aircon hadn't been properly cleaned for over a year, then deep-cleaning should cost 1000 tops. As someone else mentioned, he probably paid for at least one case of after-work beer for the lads.

Think of any service like a local taxi where you always ask what the fare will be before getting in, meter or otherwise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I couldn't be bothered with all the faff.  I put that in the same category as DIY and gardening. Pay someone else to do it while you do something fun and useful. 

Often is  the case they dont  do  it  properly which creates  more  faff  as  you either put  up with the mess or  call them back "repeatedly"  until they just dont come anymore.

Its VERY satisfying to do it  yourself knowing its been done  correctly and with so  much info  available on tinternet these  days easy to do. I  like  gardening also and I have all the time in the world. Fun isnt something I allure to, useful is doing the above

• Like 1

Ah  but the pleasure is seeing it  all pristine, its  of  course a pointless  battle as entropy always  will win..............after Im dead.

Edited by bodga
  • Thanks 1

Normally around 500.

But, at least you did it.

I have gotten ill in the past from unkempt aircon.  Even in nicer hotels they won't clean them regularly bad smell full of dust, dirt, animal or bird feces, bacteria.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bodga said:

Ah  but the pleasure is seeing it  all pristine, its  of  course a pointless  battle as entropy always  will win..............after Im dead.

Then a week later you have to do it all over again.  This damn rain is making everything grow at warp factor 10. I'm far too lazy for that. 

I live in the sticks and am in my 70's.
If I can borrow a stepladder I remove the filters and clean, let them dry and replace them - about one hour or less.
If it still isn't cooling properly then I will ask someone to flush out the system and check.
If I get someone to do the whole job ( why is there always 2 people ? ) takes one hour charge 300 - 400 baht.
Generally do once or twice a year.

25 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

I remove the filters and clean, let them dry and replace them

Same here, did mine this morning. Cleaning the filters, just four parts to slide out, wash and replace. Sprayed a bit of PTFE to stop the dusty squeaks. Job done in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 12:07 AM, kingofthemountain said:

Rule number 1

ALWAYS ask the price

BEFORE the work is done

and you can agree or not, possibly negociate

the ''normal'' price is between 500 and 1000 bahts

see the random link at the end of my post

it could be worse, the ''lesson'' about the rule 1 cost was only around 1000 bahts today

in a way you can say you was lucky, imagine if they have asked 3000 or 5000

the work was done, then you just have to pay and can't argue if don't have

asked the price before they start

it's the same rule all over the world.

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/cleaning-and-maintenance-service

Very much agree with the idea of prior to starting any work always clarify expectations on the charges and the type of service to be performed. We are in BKK normally 500 but often they have a promotion for 400 per unit

• Like 1

Four plus pages so you know you got burned in Pattaya 15 plus years I've never paid more than 500 baht and my son unit is always dirty and the guy takes more than an hour this is the same guy who sold me all the units in our house.  Once his crew took the whole unit off the wall took it outside to clean, they also took the unit outside apart and recharge the whole thing 1000 baht.  I tip them enough to buy 4 bowls of noodles for lunch they were really happy.

????

Another note if you girlfriend or wife was there and didn't day anything I would get rid of her!????

On 7/5/2020 at 10:13 AM, innosiem said:

it is cheaper to buy the equipment and do it yourself
this is what i have just done,
as my house has 10 Aircon units
usually price is around 500-700 baht per unit

you can buy the Gas (~500 baht) and pressure gauges (~1200 baht) on Lazada
that is all you need
check what gas your Aircon requires (most modern wall units are R32)
many units have a big sticker on the compressor or just check model online
you are looking for R32 or R401a usually for recent units,
also use R32 and R401a to search on lazada for equipment as rest is usually in Thai

plenty of youtube videos show you how to top up gas

as for cleaning filters just take them out and rinse in shower, easy as.

sounds like whoever done the service for you,
charged you the price for the new equipment

The OP was about cleaning, not refilling with refrigerant. But you provide good info anyway. It is pretty easy to top up with gauges and a refrigerant bottle as you say. 

As for cleaning, I paif 500 each for 3 units in Cha-am. However, they did significantly more than clean the blower filter as you suggest,thst is indeed trivial. 

They took the evaporator unit in the room apart, minimum tools required, but some experience with the plastic housing no doubt helped. They took the blower fan and the drop pan outside and pressure washed them. The also put a plastic hood with drain bag around the evaporator inside and power washed it down into a drain bucket. Then they went outside and power washed the condenser unit fins. The condenser fins can be easily cleaned with a pressure nozzle on a hose and is much more likely to require cleaning than the evaporator inside does. Allowing either unit to suffer with dirty fins will shorten compressor life and waste electricity.

Clearly this is a relatively simple job with the right tools and supplies, but messing around on a ladder in the house, washing, etc. is not enjoyable to me. I worked and saved for retirement a good part of my life and think that avoiding such things is part of my payback. That seemed well worth 500 thb to me. 

I hesitate to mention the fact that even if you have an engineering degree, designed and built air con units before you retired, your Thai mate will consider you foolishly incompetent compared to the 20 yo Thai "Aircon Engineer" who cleans your unit.  Just accept that fact, pay the money, and move on. ????

If you use an aircon very much I know from experience that cleaning once a year is mandatory and hygenic. I don't do it every year for units that we don't use heavily. 

Topping up the refrigerant should only be necessary every few years at most. If you need to do it every year then you have a leak.